Seriously ... wtf

• Hi, really struggling to get my head around this game, in so many ways it's perfect for me as I love my football, fantasy football & gambling. But to say I'm getting disillusioned is an understatement.

Did ok over the summer with transfer speculation- mainly Coutinho. I was about £80 up. When the season started I bought players I thought would do well - you know goalscorers that win games - I bought Lukaku, Morata, Jesus, Lacazette. Despite all scoring, playing well in winning teams at the top of the league all dropped massively. Lukaku from £6 - £4. Morata, Jesus both over £1. I lost my profit and was about £50 under my initial investment.

I came onto the Forum to ask advice and I was told PB, wrong type of players chosen, strikers were over priced initially etc etc. Ok I thought, this is a bit more challenging than I initially thought so I upped my game. Started reading all the Twitter tips account, blogs, this Forum etc. Under advice I sold all my strikers (at huge loss) & reinvested in the 'right type' of players.

Since then, over the last 2 weeks, I've lost money on Robben, Lanzini, Sandro, Matuidi, Valencia, Alves. One of the tipsters sworn blind to get in Thiago Alcantara - he's dropped £1.13. Dybala has dropped 31p, Pjanic has dropped 47p, Insigne 32p, Vidal 33p, Rakitic 34p. I mean seriously, am I that rubbish as picking players or is there something about this game I'm not getting? I want to persist but every time I log on my heart sinks as I see my portfolio dwindle. I'm struggling to think of a single time it's risen since the season started.

I see people posting about having made 20k profit - I just don't see how this is possible. All the players only seem to be going one way. You have to question the validity of some of these accounts.

Should I cut my losses & give up? To be honest I'm no longer enjoying it, I haven't made money on a single player apart from C.Ronaldo although I can now see he's now also had a big drop so I've pretty much lost all my profit on him. If I could see a clear strategy or path to play this game I'd continue but it all just seems v random. Given I won £90 in divindends I've lost almost £200 trading and I know my football inside out. What on earth do you need to do to succeed at this game?

• People are panicking as penny stocks are coming in nxt month. When people realise the top players will still win pb the market will recover. I was 700 up and now im only 100 up but will take advantage of the falling prices by putting more money into pb players.

• This post is deleted!

• Few things:

• Take Twitter advice with a pinch of salt...some if it looks very much like trying to promote volume and therefore prices in players they have
    • The PB players falling at the moment in daft IMO as they will continue to dominate post squad release, and with double dividends will make earn great returns...and then the price will go up. I'm taking a view of accepting any hits on my PB players and am confident that most will recover
    • Bearing in mind the above, I think the likes of Alves, Pjanic from your list will remain great earners. I'm personally less sure on the majority of defenders but let's see what happens

• The market has been a challenging one lately. First MB money shifted to PB players, and now money is being shifted back out of PB players in anticipation of the new changes coming Nov 1.

The problem is, people don't yet know how much of an impact the squad will have on the current top 200 chances of winning PB, so they are selling and just waiting to see what happens, and no-one is buying because they want to have funds for the new squad players.

In my opinion, the best PB players will recover and end up much higher than they currently are (i.e. Strikers that score a lot but also pass/cross and dribble, and midfielders with strong passing/crossing/tackling that can also score a few goals). The trick to making the most profit is buying at the right time, whether that's now, in 2 days, 2 weeks or 2 months is the difficult part. Though at their current prices, the best PB players will be profitable if your patient enough.

• Not sure what your initial investment was but I'm guessing that £90 in dividends probably represents a decent % Return on Investment?

You've got to decide on whether you're aiming short or long. If you're after a quick buck then you're playing the short game which is pretty cut-throat and you're up against the spread (diff between Buy and Sell) as well as the commission. I've tried this and suffered some big losses as my predictions didn't come to fruition (I studied the fixtures and dividend payouts for specific days etc).

If you're playing the long game then unless something catastrophic happens like a bad injury whilst you're in the gym and can't react quick enough to the news then you're better off taking your eyes off the players values and watch the dividends rack up. Don't forget that even if your portfolio is showing negative figures you haven't actually lost (or conversely made) a penny until you decide to sell.

Bottom line is that all players have peaks and troughs, if they're not doing anything they could fall purely by the virtue of other traders getting off that train to buy a ticket for one they think is a better short term option. The players you mention are all decent players and will no doubt rise again.

Yes there's some uncertainty with the pending influx of squad players - I wouldn't like to predict how it'll affect the market but my opinion is that Football Index is growing in popularity and if you're in on it earlier than most you should benefit from the platform's natural growth.

• Thanks all. So advice is to stick with the players I have, ride out the losses and hope they rise again? So depressing at the moment I can't even face logging in

• @NewUser56882 said in Seriously ... wtf:

Few things:

• Take Twitter advice with a pinch of salt...some if it looks very much like trying to promote volume and therefore prices in players they have
    • The PB players falling at the moment in daft IMO as they will continue to dominate post squad release, and with double dividends will make earn great returns...and then the price will go up. I'm taking a view of accepting any hits on my PB players and am confident that most will recover
    • Bearing in mind the above, I think the likes of Alves, Pjanic from your list will remain great earners. I'm personally less sure on the majority of defenders but let's see what happens

• I share your frustrations. Apart from Ronaldo all of mine are in the red and it really started to bother me. When it comes to fantasy football, the odd flutter at the bookies I always feel confident because of my love of football. But I have to say I have really struggled with FI , I was going well but the last month or so it has gone pear shaped and I too was following Twitter etc. Now I am just being patient and the advice the players have given you is right it will pick up.

• I have had a nightmare since pb came in and my portfolio is in serious red.you won't get any help from FI.

• In the last 24 hrs 110 Players are down so its hard not to be hit and i think the Index is down and 3-4 days in a row i could be wrong tho.

• This post is deleted!

• This post is deleted!

• It is a football site but it's also a basic stock market & a lot of the volatility must be down to the people with a lot of money invested pushing up prices & then taking profits - pump & dump. It's similar to any stock market & is risky. Dividends have been doubled though, & the stars of the season so far Messi/Kane are moving higher as they should.

• The volatility is caused by the introduction of PB and how it was implemented.End of.

• @NewUser82267
    I know what you mean. I shifted my portfolio to PB players back in August and I'm seeing a lot of red at the moment. But nothing has really changed. The players are playing as they should. I invested in those players because of their expected returns. Come November Vidal is a perfect example of a 10% ROI for each PB win.

Imo the drop hitting our portfolio is due to 3 things:

1. Traders shifting their portfolios from PB to MB for the international break (Personally I think the spread was too great for this)
    2. Some uncertainty behind the "Penny shares"
    3. And then compounded by panic sellers.

I think some of the MB players will take a hit during the second week of October and that will pour back into the likes of Messi, Kane, Dybala, Neymar. The top strikers will be hardly be affected by the new introduction.

Looking at twitter I see some traders are concerned at how the squad players will be introduced, and at what price. Although it was addressed in the FAQ section of the link below. The pricing is still a semi mystery.
    https://trade.footballindex.co.uk/squadoptions/

• @Sagenode "New footballers will be priced fairly and will not drive indiscriminate purchases" & "although there will be some more affordable players it is not the case that all are cheap" suggest that new player prices will be close/similar to some top 200 prices. This might support some of the top 200, while others might lose as money goes elsewhere. It's going to be interesting whatever happens!

• @pwp23 Yeah, I'm hoping they'll take a balanced approach. FI have the OPTA stats on all of the players, I think (hope!) they'll put an appropriate price tag on each one. I'm just wondering what happens to that player who's introduced at 25p and gets no interest. Will he remain at 25p forever? Or does his price get shrink due to the demand of others.

Holding my breath until then.

• You need to anticipate trends ...

Some come out of the blue , some are predictable. The drop in PB players was very predictable and people shouldn't really have been caught out.

• @Sagenode yeah that's my biggest question. I presume that it'll be similar to how an auction works the price will drop at X pence per X seconds until the piranha's bite, either way I'd love to know.

There also needs to be some clarity on the future of relegation. Will it be dead and buried because I can't see anyway that can be avoided; thus making the mopping up of cheap potential far more appealing.

Looks like your connection to Football Index Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.