Left Backs - Transfer Frenzy

• Right now there are loads of top teams who have a glaring need at left back. And it just so happens there are loads of top left backs who could plug those gaps. So IMO there could be more big transfers of left backs than any other position over the January and summer 2018 transfer windows. Big clubs in need:

• Man Utd: 32yr old right footed winger is the only left back Mourinho trusts
    • Man City: With Mendy out long term the best team in Europe has Fabian Delph at left back
    • Chelsea: Need cover for and/or an upgrade on Alonso
    • Spurs: Levy will sell Rose rather than bust the wage structure
    • Liverpool: Moreno an accident waiting to happen don't even mention Milner
    • Everton: Baines fading fast
    • Newcastle: Big need no one in current squad able to hold down position
    • Not forgetting...PSG: In market for upgrade on Kurzawa

Best guess where players will end up (listed highest priced on FI first):

• Danny Rose: Man Utd in January if Spurs sign a replacement
    • Ryan Sessegnon: Spurs possibly in January
    • Alex Sandro: Chelsea in January to keep Conte happy. PSG interest too
    • Luke Shaw: Spurs swap with Rose or Newcastle/Everton
    • Clement Lenglet: ManCity in January if they go for a DC/DL hybrid (they need cover in both positions)
    • Alex Telles: Great stats for Porto in UCL. Chelsea have scouted
    • Philipp Max: Leading Bundesliga assists. All big clubs have scouted him. Transfer hype starting
    • Marcel Halstenberg/Jerome Roussillon: To Everton/Newcastle when big clubs take big names

FWIW the best value right now on FI is Philip Max. Most likely to move in January is Alex Sandro as Juve have benched him. Rose will get most media buzz

• Mourinho likes to put opposite footed players at full back.

• @Porky Really? Can't think of any others but happy to be corrected. More in vogue atm is opposite footed players as wide forwards in a front 3 cutting in centrally to shoot with full backs overlapping and providing the width

• @Dave-C Are you a Geordie fan by any chance? :-)

For me the best value Left backs are Rafael Guerreiro and Ricardo Rodriguez purely based on Goal Threat for decent calibre outfits! However I don't think either are on the move anywhere so please ignore me :-)

• @Agatello

Not a Geordie fan my team's Colchester we should all worry if their League 2 duffers start getting IPO'd :-)

Guerriro and Rodriguez are decent PB plays but winning PB is so unpredictable for defenders IMO only reason to hold defenders is for transfer bunce ;-)

• One day I think FI or another system will cater for the lower leagues!

I've seen a few people mention the Defender lottery but I'm not overly convinced by it, 95% of defenders never bag up.. Hysaj is a great example constantly highscoring (I've bought him actually just in case) but completely goal shy! I forgot to mention my other fave Kolarov and when the conditions are right it would take a flukey brace from someone to beat them.

Over the course of the season I'd love to see how many different strikers bag a brace (with GWG) or a Hat-trick, I bet it's more frequent than we think.

I also think that defenders chances are priced accordingly too so not going to shy away from them myself even if there's no chance of a transfer.

• @Agatello Are you holding Halstenberg? Early leader for tonight's Def PB after scoring for Leipzig. Bound to get pipped by somoene in one of later games...

• @Dave-C no mate although I've seen his name mentioned on another thread as being out of contract in the summer (I think).

The equalisers killed him off though.

I've got Ilicic who was looking good but he's been subbed :-(

I'm hoping Doucoure, Jovic, Guerreiro, Zagadou (Benched) or Yarmolenko (bought today) do the business later.

• Sorry mentioned by you @Dave-C above. I hope you've got him?

• @Agatello Yes I've got Halstenberg not expecting him to win as Schmelzer and Janmaat are racking up the points in-play. And had some shockers with Def PB recently :-) Roussillon and Ankersen both pipped by 1 point on triple points days they cost ~30p each so ROI would have been nuts!

• @Agatello

What were your reasons for buying yarmolenko buddy ?

• @Dave-C said in Left Backs - Transfer Frenzy:

@Porky Really? Can't think of any others but happy to be corrected. More in vogue atm is opposite footed players as wide forwards in a front 3 cutting in centrally to shoot with full backs overlapping and providing the width

Well azpi for one. He has been quoted saying "right footed right wingers hate coming up against right footed left backs"

@Agatello Yes I've got Halstenberg not expecting him to win as Schmelzer and Janmaat are racking up the points in-play. And had some shockers with Def PB recently :-) Roussillon and Ankersen both pipped by 1 point on triple points days they cost ~30p each so ROI would have been nuts!

Exactly! Considering the amount of Defenders on the system I wouldn't put those close misses down to luck, they're good buys in my eyes, I hold Roussillon myself.

• @Double-M said in Left Backs - Transfer Frenzy:

@Agatello

What were your reasons for buying yarmolenko buddy ?

Dortmund had an easy game away at Mainz, new manager effect and he's got a pretty decent baseline for a striker as he gets very involved in the games. Therefore when he does score he stands a great chance, he outscored PEA last night and I "think" he top scored out of the non-scoring strikers last night which backs it all up a little bit. I don't understand his recent drop in price really.

• yeah I was thinking exactly the same about his price - seems far too low for a player with his credentials. Still, I see it as an opportunity so will be investing

• @Porky said in Left Backs - Transfer Frenzy:

@Dave-C said in Left Backs - Transfer Frenzy:

@Porky Really? Can't think of any others but happy to be corrected. More in vogue atm is opposite footed players as wide forwards in a front 3 cutting in centrally to shoot with full backs overlapping and providing the width

Well azpi for one. He has been quoted saying "right footed right wingers hate coming up against right footed left backs"

That quote doesn't make any sense. So who knows maybe Mourinho really did say it ;-)

@Porky said in Left Backs - Transfer Frenzy:

@Dave-C said in Left Backs - Transfer Frenzy:

That quote doesn't make any sense. So who knows maybe Mourinho really did say it ;-)

Yes i didnt expect you to understand it. Ferreira is another one converted to left back

Looks like your connection to Football Index Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.