Why such a difference between buy and sell price

• Just started today. So first of all any tips appreciated. But why such a difference between buy and sell cost. Ie coutinhio buy £4.49 but to sell is £4. So to make a profit you would need him to go up a huge amount for the sell price to come up

• There are two ways of selling.

1. Sell to Market
    2. Instant Sell

If you sell to market, you can sell at the buy price but have to wait for someone to buy (you go in a queue). Instant Sell is really only a panic 'get out of here' type thing where you have to get rid and can't wait a 'sell to market' to be actioned because you need the money or the player is dropping.

• Also the Instant Sell spread (difference between buy price and instant sell price) is normally about 3% - where a player is extremely volatile the spread is much higher to deter panic selling and crashes - or so they say - the sceptical would suggest they just want a bigger margin.

• Hadn't even noticed he had such a huge spread! That's bigger than anyone else in the top 10 and so presumably the biggest spread on FI. Usually the spread should make it less attractive to buy and then 'flip' / sell immediately after a quick gain, that should then in theory reduce spikes and keep a players price more consistent. Why Countinho's is so high I'm not sure but can only guess that FI are worried that a lot of people will soon want to instant sell him once his transfer to Barca is confirmed, personally I don't think that will be until the summer so I think there's plenty of media buzz and performance money to be won before he leaves Liverpool (but I could be wrong!!) Ideally if you're thinking of investing in Coutinho at the moment you'd want to sell to the market after picking up a few buzz wins but that is tricky as it's about timing, you'd need to get out whilst people are still buying. Hopefully that makes sense?? I'd say if you're on day 1 I'd avoid Coutinho, I think there are safer investments to get started with.

• To start off and find your feet I’d look at someone like Icardi at Inter, a safe investment and very cheap at the moment. Regular goal scorer, eventually a big move coming (should go up to Dybala price) and a guaranteed divided return on Friday (limited games on Friday = higher chance of star player).

• Exactly. I haven't been on long but coutinho to me looks like a volatile exception to the regular spread

• Avoid Coutinho he’ll drop below £4 when he eventually goes to Barca, even the media buzz won’t cover those losses.

• @NewUser111702 A couple of other tips -

1. People usually use these forums to push players they already own and are trying to sell so take everything with a pinch of salt.
    2. When comparing players prices beware that some were introduced at high prices and so have moved very little (check their history) eg. Alderwiereld looks a bargain at £1.05 compared to Sanches / Vertonghen at £1.60 but that was their IPO prices, so is he really a bargain?
    3. Like all trading diversify your portfolio, there are several ways to make money on FI, whether through media / performance buzz, buying young prospects or buying players who could transfer to the PL, it's good to have a mixture to keep your trading fluid.
      Good luck & have fun!

• @NewUser49172 said in Why such a difference between buy and sell price:

Avoid Coutinho he’ll drop below £4 when he eventually goes to Barca, even the media buzz won’t cover those losses.

Why will he? What happened to mbappe and neymar when they moved?

• Diversify - it's safe & fun & leaves room to experiment

• Adding to point about Toby Jan Davison of spurs Alderweireld looks best value on the index at 1-05 and once or if he hits £2 next season then people will start getting jan and Davison (long term risky holds!!! And tie money up in nothing!! My big gamble is a 100 Onamah hopeing next season he will return to spurs and gain!! at the £1-60 however FI introduces the other two at 1-60 and It clutters up the top 200 with none tradable assets at moment has people notice this there other mistake was Josh King we went out the index at 50p then was reintroduced at £1-52 and again he’s flat-lineing in top 200 I think the FI need to pay back the handful of shareholders in such players and remarket its in there interest that a full 200 players of popularity can get media buzz these guys too static

• Interestingly Countinho's spread has now dropped to a more 'reasonable' 37p, FI are you listening ;-D

• @NewUser93040 I've bought Onomah. I think he's a good investment as-well. I've gone for Lewis Cook as-well.

• Thanks for the replies. I’ve not looked at the selling in more detail instead of the instant sell, so I understand that more. Next I need to understand is how values are affected ie buzz etc so I need to read up on that

• Fi should grow a pair and IPO the original top 200, ones that are low should be raised to an honest IPO value (to clear the trash clogging the top 200) and the ones above should stick at the price they are at. Haha. markets fake as .... And I'm getting out. Good luck guys

• @NewUser51524 said in Why such a difference between buy and sell price:

Fi should grow a pair and IPO the original top 200, ones that are low should be raised to an honest IPO value (to clear the trash clogging the top 200) and the ones above should stick at the price they are at. Haha. markets fake as .... And I'm getting out. Good luck guys

Will be sad to see you go. We need losers so we can win 😂

• Leaving a grand in profit pal. Sold up, almost. Post a reply in 6 months when fi have changed the rules, and have robbed a huge chunk of your profits, haha. Good luck funny guy

• @NewUser51524 said in Why such a difference between buy and sell price:

Leaving a grand in profit pal. Sold up, almost. Post a reply in 6 months when fi have changed the rules, and have robbed a huge chunk of your profits, haha. Good luck funny guy

You still here? 🔔🔚

• Bitey, egotistic, naive, football index drone. You wanna keep attacking me pal I'll keep going

• leave out the arguments please

Looks like your connection to Football Index Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.