Defenders is where the value is

• Since joining the index 3 weeks I have intensively researched most players on the index (spending hours everyday). I'm on a modest budget and I decided early on my strategy would be to invest in players mainly under 30p as I wanted at least 100 shares in a player as I can see no value in buying the higher end player but only owning 5 shares.

After sifting through my research I then started to purchase the players who I believe will give me a decent return on my money. I now have a total of 9 players in my portfolio and I want to add more as soon as I can afford to deposit more.

My point on all of this is I can only find defenders and a few midfielders to fit in with my strategy. I have found loads of defenders all under 30p who I believe are very undervalued. I am struggling to find any winger/striker who comes in at under 30p with any potential at all.

So my advice to anyone following a similar strategy to mine is defenders is where the value is or am I missing something?

• @Pagey74 You could well be right. Defenders, except for a few exceptions are definitely undervalued IMO and you could have found a niche that not many have spotted.

It depends who you have and what club they are at and if they are playing in a PB league.

Be interested to hear the players names, but generally on here its forwards and attacking midfielders who are popular.

Agree with your assessment of the higher priced players tho, as they have less room to appreciate.

• I only buy players who are playing in a PB league tbh.
    I'm scared to list my players and reasons as I don't want people thinking I'm pumping. However 1 example is Vincent Manceau (29) Angers. His PB average is 73 with a PB high of 173. He has spent his entire career at Angers and is vice captain and if fit he plays. 31 apps with 1 goal and 1 assist last season. Nothing spectacular but at 18p a solid defender who will play in a PB league if fit.
    Like I said I would rather invest in 150 shares in Manceau than 3 in Neymar for example as I believe I have a better chance of a better return and I cannot see how Manceau can drop lower than he already is given the reasons above.
    Like to know your thoughts pal.

• @Pagey74 dont be put off sharing your holds or ‘pumping players prices’ you seem to have done your research and theres no problem with a pump that has all the research and information backing your hold. You only hinder yourself by keeping secrets its only seen as inappropriate when the pump is fabricated and followed by a dump.
    Put your finds in the sub 40p list with your in depth reasons why im sure people will listen and follow with their own research

• Hi Mate. I have added some of my finds in the sub 40p lists. I just didn't want to add them here as I started a thread not relating to that subject and I thought people would think I was pumping. Thanks for your reply.

• @Pagey74 so no chance of MB, no chance of PB, unless you sell and re-buy no IPD, 29 in index terms is old. A player that 99% of the people on the index won’t have heard of? The only plus point is his price is unlikely to drop? Why not you’ve bought a player with no plus points other than he plays football?

• @NewUser35208 I disagree. Why does he have no chance of winning PB's or IPD's???? His PB average of 73 based on 56 games and PB high of 173 is not to bad given who he plays for and his price.
    Like I have previously stated I'm looking for lower end players as I don't have the budget to be buying top end players. I would rather have 100 shares in Manceau than 3 or 4 shares in a £4 player as I believe the rewards are greater.
    I agree that he is not going to be known by many users but this is part of the fun for me especially if he goes on to be a good FI player,
    I gave Manceau as an example but I have a few others in my portfolio who are younger and have more potential to develop.
    I'm giving my strategy on how I see the best way to play with a limited budget. I'm not suggesting it's the correct way of playing either. I'm new to the platform and I'm learning everyday. I have put hours into researching players and this is the conclusion I have come up with which is best for me.

Cheers.

• @Pagey74 said in Defenders is where the value is:

@NewUser35208 I disagree. Why does he have no chance of winning PB's or IPD's???? His PB average of 73 based on 56 games and PB high of 173 is not to bad given who he plays for and his price.
    Like I have previously stated I'm looking for lower end players as I don't have the budget to be buying top end players. I would rather have 100 shares in Manceau than 3 or 4 shares in a £4 player as I believe the rewards are greater.
    I agree that he is not going to be known by many users but this is part of the fun for me especially if he goes on to be a good FI player,
    I gave Manceau as an example but I have a few others in my portfolio who are younger and have more potential to develop.
    I'm giving my strategy on how I see the best way to play with a limited budget. I'm not suggesting it's the correct way of playing either. I'm new to the platform and I'm learning everyday. I have put hours into researching players and this is the conclusion I have come up with which is best for me.

Cheers.

I think you’ve got your dividend strategy spot on if your budget doesn’t allow you to buy sufficient numbers of the top players - there are plenty of PB bargains in the sub £1 market. Just because their average isn’t 100+ Doesn’t mean they can’t win dividends - plenty of chances on single and double match days especially if usual the big hitters aren’t playing on the same day.

Whilst FI should be all about winning dividends with your budget you may have more success chasing capital appreciation - particularly young cheapies players and any unearthed gems you may find.

• Hi Chris, appreciate your reply. I hope you're right on my dividend strategy. My thinking behind this is exactly what you stated in your post.
    I do have a lot of younger players than Manceau in the hope that they both increase in capital appreciation and maybe pinch a PB dividend.
    My point of my thread is that on a limited budget I find it very difficult to find any wingers/strikers under 30p with any potential at all to do well on FI.
    I firmly believe for traders on a low budget defenders are where you are going to find the most potential and value for money.

Cheers.

• @Pagey74

I enjoy reading different traders' strategies. I agree defenders are under appreciated on the index which I don't think will change in the near future so you may not see the capital appreciation that you might with forwards and midfielders. That said I think it's a safe way of trading. Small risk with potential to do well if your players pick up PB dividends. Whenever an unknown picks up PB divs they get a nice little capital injection.

Best of luck with your strategy, hope it does well for you. Keep us updated.

• @ShaneH Thanks pal. Will do.

• @NewUser35208 said in Defenders is where the value is:

@Pagey74 so no chance of MB, no chance of PB, unless you sell and re-buy no IPD, 29 in index terms is old. A player that 99% of the people on the index won’t have heard of? The only plus point is his price is unlikely to drop? Why not you’ve bought a player with no plus points other than he plays football?

It doesn't really matter if a lot of people haven't heard of him. He only needs to have one decent game to represent a good return, and people will jump on him when they see him doing well in live rankings as that's the nature of the index. As @Pagey74 has said, he's very low risk. I don't hold but if he puts in a good PB score which includes some IPDs then it's not unreasonable that his price could move 4p. That sort of thing happens every single match day and would represent a 20% rise, which is not to be sniffed at.

• @Pagey74 said in Defenders is where the value is:

I only buy players who are playing in a PB league tbh.
    I'm scared to list my players and reasons as I don't want people thinking I'm pumping. However 1 example is Vincent Manceau (29) Angers. His PB average is 73 with a PB high of 173. He has spent his entire career at Angers and is vice captain and if fit he plays. 31 apps with 1 goal and 1 assist last season. Nothing spectacular but at 18p a solid defender who will play in a PB league if fit.
    Like I said I would rather invest in 150 shares in Manceau than 3 in Neymar for example as I believe I have a better chance of a better return and I cannot see how Manceau can drop lower than he already is given the reasons above.
    Like to know your thoughts pal.

As @Black-wolf says, don't be put off pumping players if you're taking the time to lay out why you think they're a good shout, as you've done with Manceau. Everybody pumps, but those that get people's backs up are the ones that are quite obviously after a quick price rise to feather their own nest and usually lack any detail why a player is a good shout.

When I started out and had a more modest investment, I quickly realised that the cheaper end of the market was where the best returns were, and it worked out well for me. Seems like you know your way around the PB scoring as well, which is great. Understanding what makes a good PB and MB player is absolutely key for being able to predict the trends.

Keep doing what you're doing and asking constructive questions on the forum and I'm sure you'll do well 👍

• @Yellow Thanks pal, really appreciate your comments.

• @Pagey74 I also believe there is plenty of value in defenders - they probably never will get the same capp app that the more attacking players get but that doesn't make them bad holds.
    It's also really important to find a strategy that works for you and that you're comfortable with - there is no right way or wrong way to build a portfolio on FI and that's what makes it great as there are so many different ways to make money. If you have a strategy that works for you and fits your budget and trading style then don't ever let anyone tell you you're doing it wrong. Listen, learn and adapt as you see fit but its your money your strategy at the end of the day.

• @janner73 Thanks pal. It's exactly 3 weeks that I joined and I'm showing a 9.66% overall profit, not that translates to loads of money as I only started with £230. However with deposit and summer bonus I'm showing a profit of just over £82 which I'm delighted with.
    I have spent several days in researching players,strategies etc and I believe this is the best way for me to
    get a decent return on my money. So excited,can't wait for the season to start (like a little lad on xmas eve)
    Thanks for the advice.

Cheers.

• @Pagey74

Your strategy sounds fine to me.

Always good to here other strategies and approaches on here. I have gone for a very diverse portfolio, the big MB and PB players along with higher numbers of the "cheaper" players. I find it a lot more satisfying to earn good CA on lower priced players that I have researched than having dividends from the "big hitters" that everyone knows about. There is always the possibility of a transfer to a bigger team/league and don't rule out Scotland, Holland and Portugal for a few potential bargains.

I agree about trying to have larger holds whenever possible. Never be scared to pump a player or start a thread, research and back up your ideas and nobody will judge you for it.

Good luck and enjoy!

• @Pagey74 In 3 weeks that's a great percentage so I'm sure you'll do fine.
    I can't wait for the season to start now either - I have my PB players pretty much ready now just some small final tweaking. Trading during the season is far more fun for me.

• @Martyn-B Thanks for your advice.

Cheers.

• @Pagey74 not too dissimilar strategy to my own in fairness. One point though is not to write off wingers/strikers completely just because they rarely sit around the 30p mark - that doesn't make them overpriced but simply means that those roles have a higher threshold. Of course you'll get less shares for a higher price, but restricting yourself in that way can lead to missed opportunities.

Ultimately, do what works for you mate.

Looks like your connection to Football Index Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.