Anybody actually IN THE RED? Portfolio clinic

• @TeamGB said in Anybody actually IN THE RED? Portfolio clinic:

@Martyn-B Just interested why anyone would think being down on a player is a massive con. Looking at most players graphs they’ve been rising mostly and also falling. Would they also think the stock market is a massive con? If so then perhaps people shouldn’t be placing money in either if they don’t understand prices fall and rise.

I guess if someone joined these week then they might feel very deflated if, in line with the general trend, their portfolio hardly moved or dropped.
    I mean, if you were new and read through the forum you would see so many success stories and massive ROI being regularly mentioned... as a newbie at this time then this might be hard to take/believe and may leave them sceptical.

I guess this thread was accidentally aimed at any newbies who've joined this week

• I've been on a few days now and I'm in the red if you take the 2% comms into account. Didn't expect any different until the season starts really but I did play with the idea of holding off investing until nearer the season starting. I also thought about starting out with a smaller port but I've spread the risk on a larger one until i get a better feel for things . Anyway, I'll let you guys see my port and I welcome any thoughts.

alt text
    alt text
    alt text
    alt text
    alt text
    alt text

• @Jumbosausage a lot of players there mate - I’d struggle to keep an eye on so many.

Won’t mean you will make any less money doing it your way but having a scattergun approach makes it more difficult to manage in my opinion. Most users on here would agree it is better to have your money concentrated into fewer players otherwise you might as well buy some top 200 trackers.

• @Chris-J Yeah I do plan on trimming it down eventually and investing more into the bigger named players but wanted to start with a good mix to get a real feel for things. There's about 20 of the younger players on the list tho that I'm happy to sit on for the long term. If a few of the others go up by 20% I'll sell and reinvest in the big boys probably.

• @Chris-J said in Anybody actually IN THE RED? Portfolio clinic:

@Jumbosausage a lot of players there mate - I’d struggle to keep an eye on so many.

Won’t mean you will make any less money doing it your way but having a scattergun approach makes it more difficult to manage in my opinion. Most users on here would agree it is better to have your money concentrated into fewer players otherwise you might as well buy some top 200 trackers.

^^^^ Seconded.... 👍

I'd cut about 50%+ and buy more shares in others.

I have about 20 players at any given time.

• @Jumbosausage

A good mix but as has already been said a lot to keep on top of.

Going to have to keep a close on Banega and Bale, they could fall or rise massively depending on where they are playing next season.

Also you have been unlucky with Tielemans, good player that you bought on the peak. The phrase buy the rumour, sell the transfer is very relevant during transfer window. Also unlucky not to get MB on his transfer as it was all very quiet and efficient in a week dominated by Pogba and Neymar.

When you decide to sell players always try and sell to market rather than Instant Sell.

One bit of bad news for you though, along with the 2% commission you also have the spread (sell price rather than the buy price) to contend with, in my first 3 months this has averaged out at 3.8%.

All looks pretty good though, be patient and enjoy!

• @Jumbosausage said in Anybody actually IN THE RED? Portfolio clinic:

@Chris-J Yeah I do plan on trimming it down eventually and investing more into the bigger named players but wanted to start with a good mix to get a real feel for things. There's about 20 of the younger players on the list tho that I'm happy to sit on for the long term. If a few of the others go up by 20% I'll sell and reinvest in the big boys probably.

Most users (myself included) start out with a similar approach with small holds in lots of players - no need to panic sell or anything they all seem decent enough buys, just monitor them for the next month or so and learn first hand how/why/when players rise and fall.

once you gain more confidence in the platform you will feel more comfortable with fewer players and bigger holds.

• Haha I’ve got over 150 players!

(Although loads are tracking the scouted football handbook recommendations at 15 shares each)

• I was listening to a podcast the other day with a guest on it called big don. He has a portfolio worth 250k and over 1000 players!

https://footballindexguidepodcast.fireside.fm/67

• @Tikka-Mo-Salah That's him.

• @Jumbosausage Been following him on Twitter, his post make me sick with envy but I'm too intrigued to stop following lol

• Yep been trading exactly one week with a £275 investment currently -£1.31, but i am not too despondent, It wasn't the best week to come in to the market on reflection. But got some good advise on the forum a few days ago which helped me see that its more about the long rather then the short term. The great Pogba sell off didn't help matters too much for the nerves either.

Portfolio below, I will take any advise i can get to be honest, still trying to get to grips with how this stuff all works.

0_1562879728200_upload-6c2a0665-ddf0-4730-b14a-fcd01887cba5
    0_1562879821586_upload-0eaa19e4-86e0-48e5-a864-0c3a312717ce
    0_1562879868967_upload-ea594ea6-2016-49aa-8e7d-b48f9e6bcdd3

Also thanks very much for starting this thread, as a new user it is very much appriecated :)

• @Jumbosausage I'd say you have large port in terms of number of diff players and money right now.

First month on the index can be pretty rough and its a pretty steep learning curve (obvs I don't know how big your bank is but) its good to have a small amount of money in to start with to get to grips with platform and be able to trade without being too nervous of losing money when you don't have a strong understanding of market.

Also the smaller amount of players you have the easier it is to time exit points and learning when to exit a trade is one of the hardest parts of fi and something you wanna try to learn early imo.

• @Tikka-Mo-Salah
    Big don just grows at the rate of the platform though. You wanna be beating the platforms growth.
    He's got about half the index.
    Really not a very good trading strategy tbh.
    But he has basically just bought a top1000 tracker. What's the point in that ahah.

Obviously if you have less time to monitor everyone and are happy with that and believe the platform will continue to grow then its not a bad idea.

• @NewUser388085 you ain't got too much to worry about with that portfolio. 👌

Nice picks for a new user. The only ones I'd be slightly worried about are Maguire & Tierney.... possibly Fernandes, but to a lesser extent - as he looks like he's good on PB so may hold his price or even increase if he gets the move. A worry if he doesn't.

If the other 2 don't get their moves - I expect them to drop as they both have a lot of "transfer money" in them.

If they do get their moves - I expect them to drop, as comparable players who are better than them at PB cost the same or less once the initial hype has died down.

• @Ericali Ah cheers man, that makes me feel a whole lot better !!

So i guess the advise i really want to know is, what do you do when there is a run (ie everybody selling) on your player due to media speculation but nothing concrete is the best course of action to just IS and get the hell out even if that means you would be selling at a loss? See long staff last night as an example of that.

• @LuaLua I'm just envious of the amount of shares he can buy. Hes had more than 2 Grand in divs just on Pogba.

• @NewUser388085 said in Anybody actually IN THE RED? Portfolio clinic:

@Ericali Ah cheers man, that makes me feel a whole lot better !!

So i guess the advise i really want to know is, what do you do when there is a run (ie everybody selling) on your player due to media speculation but nothing concrete is the best course of action to just IS and get the hell out even if that means you would be selling at a loss? See long staff last night as an example of that.

If everyone is selling your player due to media speculation, there usually is a good reason - China links, Injury, Heart attack, retirement, death etc.

There are times when I.S can be a valuable tool - I'm not sure Longstaff is the best example. If a Man Utd bid goes in for him he will rise another 20p. It all depends when you hopped on.

I've no problems selling at a loss if you need the capital & have seen some breaking news. You can usually earn your loss back & more if you spot a golden opportunity.

Or if you have bought well & are happy to wait, most losses will turn from negative to positive positions within a few months if you have the patience to sit it out. 💰

• @Ericali

Cheers man 👍

Looks like your connection to Football Index Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.