Should FI change the rule of needing both a players first and second name mentioned in a news article for it to qualify for MB points?

• I don't recall seeing this discussed on the forum, I'm really not a fan of this rule, surely just a players surename should do. I see a lot of headlines that only include a players surename not counting, is there a justifiable reason why they don't count? Do you want this rule changed?

*Edit, In asking this I'm assuming they could come up with a system that works for the players with same samenames/surenames commonly used in headlines etc. Surely they could check a few times a day and manually remove the error ones, it would only be needed for the top/top 3 of the leaderboard when MM ends.

• Theoretically speaking surname only seems logical.
    Practically I don't see it working given the issues it would create with players with the same surname e.g. Wilson (Callum or Harry?). Whilst MB is top 200 only it may work with limited manual intervention but once MB is open to every player I can't see how it could be done without significantly increasing the amount of manual intervention required, and therefore running costs, increasing.
    The way I see it, MB is imperfect and always will be. As long as the rules are clear, then we are all on the same playing field and buy players accordingly. I also don't think it would make a significant difference - there will be as many headlines that include Pogba and not Paul Pogba.
    I would much rather them sort out some of the silly issues such as Isco getting points for dISCOvered in a headline which really shouldn't require too much work.

• @janner73

That was my initial thought too but putting my software engineer hat on for 30 seconds.

There's no reason FI couldn't create a bot that opens the link and scans the article for the full name.

For example:

HEADLINE : "Pulisic becomes FI King!"

Bot opens the website, searches the article for 'Christian Pulisic'.

Very few writers would just use a players single name in an article about that player.

Also... If FI updated their data on the platform so that everyone is at the right club, there's no reason a second search from the bot couldn't look for other keywords to strengthen the case... for example "Chelsea".

The keywords could be used to create a 'Relevancy Score"... which would help the bot flag up articles that might need checking. For example, a Pulisic article without the word Chelsea or USA in would be strange.

I reckon I could knock this kind of a solution up fairly quickly.

That would be a crude version... a more complicated version could even go as far as to learn from the articles using more advanced AI to increase the accuracy.

For example, we all know the main story about Bale right now is his transfer stuff... no reason a bot couldn't have learned that and used the info to increase the relevancy score.

It could also check one story against another similar story from that day, cross reference wikipedia articles, club bio pages, etc. All of this is way too advanced for what FI need but given the possibilities and that a decent AI programmer could do this in no time, the costs would be minimal.

• @Dan-The-Man
    All valid points. I guess I'm also not convinced we should even get hung up on this and overly complicate something that is a relatively simple mechanism.
    There are way more important things at this point that FI need to fix before even looking at this:

• fix the bugs that seem to cause payout issues - for people still to be waiting to be made from Sunday's MB is unacceptable. We all know it will get paid in the end but that's not the point. It damages the reputation of the platform and people won't tolerate it forever - a winning bet (which is what it is) has to be paid out timely and correctly as a basic principle of running a gambling site.
    • fix the stupid mistakes on MB - the Isco issue just looks completely unprofessional.
    • get a consistent approach to naming - why is Neymar a single name but Vinicius Junior is not Vinicuis? And countless other consistencies in the approach to naming particularly with Brazilian and Spanish players.

There are others - im strongly against United being a multiplier myself. Man Utd players already get enough media coverage and the united multiplier just makes them even more advantaged on MB. But we all know the rules so trade accordingly and changing it would no doubt cause complaints due to potentially de-valuing Man Utd players.

There will no doubt be complaints if it changes to surnames only as the single name players get de-valued as they are the only ones that wouldn't gain anything from it. People have made bets on the rules as they are so I'm more in favour of fixing blatantly broken parts rather than changing the way names are used.

• @janner73

Never been a fan of the "we can't fix things because people made bets" view point. This platform will change many times over the next decade.

But FI will do what they think is right.

• @Dan-The-Man Again don't completely disagree - but still think they need to fix other stuff before changing anything. Get it working 100% correctly as it should be before changing anything else.
    Paying out correctly and on time is more important than any other changes - and these issues keep cropping up.

• @janner73
    Yeah, I wonder what's causing that...

Is it the human aspect perhaps?

Maybe whoever they pay to check the media at midnight, takes the day off and FI, don't mind paying the next day 30 times per year.

Maybe it's one of the jobs the head honcho does himself and some days he has other priorities.

• @Dan-The-Man The fact that last night's paid out OK suggests to me that it's something related to tied scores that caused the issue on Sunday night as Griezmann, Pogba and Gilmour all had 300 points.
    I just find it staggering that they can't get it right though.

• @janner73 said in Should FI change the rule of needing both a players first and second name mentioned in a news article for it to qualify for MB points?:

@Dan-The-Man The fact that last night's paid out OK suggests to me that it's something related to tied scores that caused the issue on Sunday night as Griezmann, Pogba and Gilmour all had 300 points.
    I just find it staggering that they can't get it right though.

Has there ever been a 3 way tie on MB before? I wonder if its as simple as the code only handles a 2 way tie and a 3 way tie caused the bug.

• @Nally Yes. Absolutely.

• Could be a good time to discuss this again, naldo currently has 300 more points than Ronaldo because his first name wasn't mentioned, seems like a shitty unfair rule to me. Surely they could manually remove the obvious ones if they made it so just the surename mentioned qualifies.

• @Nally I’m quite sure they will remove these.
    Otherwise it makes a mockery of the millions of pounds traded.

• @Timothee-Atouba said in Should FI change the rule of needing both a players first and second name mentioned in a news article for it to qualify for MB points?:

@Nally I’m quite sure they will remove these.
    Otherwise it makes a mockery of the millions of pounds traded.

Absolutely.

There's no way that FI will want Pepe and Naldo outscoring Nicolas Pepe and Cristiano Ronaldo for stories that are actually about the latter 2. FI will know that if this happens, then confidence will be lost quite quickly in the platform.

It'll get sorted I'm sure.

• Yes I know they will remove them, my point is Ronaldo has 300 worth on points not counting because his first name wasn't mentioned, doesn't seem fair.

• In asking this I'm assuming they could come up with a system that works for the players with same samenames/surenames commonly used in headlines etc. Surely they could check a few times a day and manually remove the error ones, it would only be needed on the top/top 3 of the leaderboard when MM ends.