Southampton prospects

• A club that has throughout the past decade produced fantastic academy talent and majority transfer policy success (Carrillo and Osvaldo the major downfalls)

But as we all know the likes of Walcott, Bale, Ox, VVD, Shaw, Lallana, Mane, Clyne etc have all gone onto much bigger things and thus their price would have risen with them had FI been around. So here is my take on potential future risers within the squad, now that the club has a manager who really promotes youth and attacking football;

Yan Valery (20) - 90p and has had a rise recently due to several impressive pre season friendly games, even scoring. He is a fast full back who began to make the starting 11 towards the end of the season.

Djenepo (21) 92p - Quick and skilful, purchased on the transfer window to be a similar threat that Mane was for the club, classed as a midfielder but could potentially slot in as a top 3 attacker.

Josh Sims (22) 48p - He is the pick of the bunch, a really exciting player who was not given a chance under previous management and then picked up an injury. He exploded into a game against Everton a couple of seasons back and since returning from injury has been part of RH’s plans and has started most preseason games. He is a natural attacking player who will always take defenders on to get into the box. Young, English, breakout season, if he starts beating defenders during Southamptons televised games you will soon see a rise in him - 10p cheaper than Boufal with much better prospects.

• @Node Prospects are the same as my club Newcastle...relegation battle and hope to finish 17th!! Biggest talent looks like your manager, might struggle to keep him once the manager merry-go-round starts again.

• @Node Biggest prospect in my opinion is Obafemi! Has the pace, the skill and work ethic. Improve his finishing and he could be a world beater

• @Node thanks for being go g Saints up! I am a long time fan and season ticket holder. You’ve missed some of the other abysmal signings we’ve made. Gaston Ramirez being another massive flop, there is a lost as long as your arm!

I agree with the first 2 on your list, but I’m
    Not sure Sims will make the grade. He did have a couple of great games last season but also a few where he had zero impact. I wouldn’t expect him to move on to a top 6 club, but agree the other 2 have a great chance.

Another to watch out for is Obafemi, but he is already quite expensive, so likely one to monitor than back now.

• @Martyn-B I would normally agree with you there, but since Ralph took over things have really improved, 2019 18 games played losing only 6 despite being in a relegation battle. We have bought well with a couple more additions to come, the team is focused on youth and attack once again. Unlike Newcastle our manager has been highly upgraded from 12 months ago leaving yourselves, Sheffield United, Burnley and Brighton scrapping to survive.

• I hope both survive, I have had a soft spot for Southampton since the Le Tissier days. Could easily be 3 worse teams in the league and more concerned about my team than yours!

James Ward-Prowse looks decent at 75p, but don't hold any Saint's players atm.

• @Webbinho Fair comment with Gaston, but at the same time I think the list of success is far greater than any other modern PL club. Could include Toby, Fonte etc.

Agree with Obafemi, in FI terms he has been exposed and driven high already due to the top 20 talent list that came out last week. I don’t see him starting still having just signed Ings and Adams and Ralph also highlighted how fragile he is with his pace. I think he will dip come Aug/Sep which will be a good time to buy.

Another player who could suit the new PB matrix is the vastly improved Redmond, wouldn’t you agree? 67p seems a fair price.

• @Martyn-B I agree with hoping both survive, the prem needs more Northern exposure and true fans like the Geordies.

JWP fits PB with pens, corners, Free kicks, my only concern with him on the platform is his age and that Southgate hasn’t called him up more to play for England despite making him captain back in his U21 day’s.

• Think Valery is a decent shout played Wing Back in certain games last season, seems a very attacking full back too so could imagine him popping up with a few goals/assists

• I think Southampton will surprise a few this season. Saw them in a pre season game against PNE and as much as we didn’t play well, their movement on and off the ball and their high press high energy game will cause problems against many teams.
    I have them down to finish just outside the top 10 this season.

• Im a Saints member - looking forward to a good season. Id be disappointed if we (I am an Arsenal fan but live close to Soton and have adopted them as my second team) don't finish top 10. Anything less than 12/13 is a failure... should be nowhere near relegation battle now we have a good manager and have signed a striker that can score goals. Good balance of hard work (ings) with youthful exuberance (obafemi and che) would like to see 2 up top. Hojberg is top class

Not sure about prospects in terms of FI tho. 90p for a RB is already high when you can get attacking FBs in Germany and France for 30p. You basically hoping for him to do a Bissaka.

Che is the most FI type player and potential to rocket if he kicks off the season in good form

• Another Saints fan here. I worry about Sims. I thought he would have got a little bit more game time towards the end of last season where we had very few attacking options, and for him still to be behind Shane Long is a worrying sign. Add in Djenepo for this season who looks exciting and I think his game time will be limited. I'm actually a big fan of his, but worried about his future here.

I also agree with @Node about Obafemi. There are people out there which know more about his technical mechanics than I do, but I have heard them say that is running technique inherently puts his at risk for further injuries. I don't have the expertise to back that up though. But it seems either he needs to tweak his style (which might make his lose pace) or he might just end up injury prone. If he was cheap he would be absolutely worth a punt, but I think he is quite expensive really.

Valery is very exciting. I could see him getting a 30m+ move next summer given alot of the bigger clubs have ageing fullbacks. I don't hold but I really should.

There are a few I would like to get on when they enter the index. Slattery is one. If Lemina leaves and presumably we don't bring in another midfielder (as the next signing will probably be a centreback and even then only providing we can shift some players as our wage bill is high) I expect Slattery to get some decent gametime. Was very hyped a couple of years ago. Has lost a little bit of that momentum but still a very good talent.

The other is Vokins. With Targett gone to Villa it looks like he will be our back up left back (not sure what is going with McQueen). But Bertrand will be 30 in a week and usually picks up a decent injury each season so expect him to get a run in the first team at some point. Hopefully FI can get him added well before this so can get on him early (am only posting here as I reckon only a small handful of people will see this post)

I still think JWP (.75) represents excellent value (I hold). He is now an 8-12 goal a season English midfielder if you extrapolate his goal scoring record with Ralph over a season. If you compare him to most English midfielders with a similar record, his price should be closer to the 1 pound mark and he has been called up to a couple of England squads recently. The only reason he isn't nearer that mark is that he is never going to win MB as he's a bit too much of a goody two shoes and football geek. I love him for this, but it doesn't sell papers.

Che is a bit of a wildcard. If he starts the season well I can definitely see him getting called up to England and a nice price boost. I don't hold but again probably should.

• Another Saints fan... my first buy when I joined the index in January was Obafemi but I lost patience and sold up before his rise. He’s no longer good value.

Jan Valery looked so dodgy when he initially stepped up to the first team. But he ended the season very well. However it looks like Cedric is back and happy so will presumably that will demote Valery to the bench.

I bought Djenepo on the very first rumour and doubled my money and cashed out this week.

Struggling to find much value from a FI perspective. I think Ings is very underpriced given that he’s still fairly young and if he stays fit he’ll be the main man... a 15+ goal season and could we dream of an England call up!!? I hold 500...

• @Vespasian32 I did wonder if you were down this way when you said you were at Waterloo a couple of weeks back. I’m originally from New Milton but now in Basingstoke. Looking forward to the season starting! Saints games are my break from 2 toddlers! It’s been a long summer already!!

• Obafemi was one of my first investments; he's been quietly creeping up over the last 6 months. Definitely one to watch next season for sure.

• @Webbinho said in Southampton prospects:

@Vespasian32 I did wonder if you were down this way when you said you were at Waterloo a couple of weeks back. I’m originally from New Milton but now in Basingstoke. Looking forward to the season starting! Saints games are my break from 2 toddlers! It’s been a long summer already!!

Fellow Basingstoke resident here!!

• @Webbinho yeh im in lymington - parents in new Milton. opposite for me.. im not allowed to go to many games because of my 2 year old! I work away most weeks so weekend is time with the family. That's why im a member not a season ticket atm. But thatl change in a couple years when I can take him with me :)

• @kristiang85 I'm in Hatch Warren, so jump on M3 J7 down to games. Midweeks fixtures can be a nightmare with traffic, often take the half day and get the train down.

• @Node He's 24???

• @Vespasian32 said in Southampton prospects:

@Webbinho yeh im in lymington - parents in new Milton. opposite for me.. im not allowed to go to many games because of my 2 year old! I work away most weeks so weekend is time with the family. That's why im a member not a season ticket atm. But thatl change in a couple years when I can take him with me :)

My brother in-law owns a small wine bar in Lymington (The Cellar). My parents and sister are still in New Milton, go down quite often. I work from home 2 days a week and so see the kids enough to need a break every 2-3 weeks!