Angus Gunn & the rise of GKs

• @Artful-Dodger Interesting to hear, thanks. The other saints fans i've heard from seem to be amongst those hyping him up. I know there was a lot of excitement before he even played his first game, the £13.5m price tag helped with that. Like you say, he's only had half a season, will be interesting to see how he does for the full season coming, he has a similar build to de Gea who certainly took a bit of time to settle in as a young keeper.

I've bit the bullet and bought 1,000 shares, hopefully I got in early on the future England no. 1.

• @scfc I agree other saints fans are hyping him. I know my opinion is not representative and let's be honest, probably wrong ;) I'm a former keeper so it's the only position I know a little bit more about, but probably still not enough to have an informed opinion. But I reckon that de Gea build (and overall look with the beard) is helping him gain trust from fans who look at him with more confidence cos he reminds them of de gea. Fake it till you make it! But if he was the exact same keeper with same level skills,build, age, experience etc but say was west African (traditionally looked down on as keepers) he wouldn't have as many admirers. But I truly hope he kicks on! But I wouldn't be surprised mid season that McCarthy is brought back in to steady the ship. I hold neither player for what it's worth :)

• Stuart Pearce massively sings his praises and thinks he's nailed on to be England's future no. 1. Not sure whether he'll be proven right or not but it seems many in the game think similar and sometimes expectation is better than talent for making money here. I purchased a few at 18p and I still think he's a decent hold.

• Hmm not sure if Stuart Pearce is the best example there! Is he in any position to talk about keepers? But I totally agree that expectation is better than talent for making money on here!

• @Artful-Dodger he was talking about him on Talksport before he displaced McCarthy. I assumed he was either a kid when Pearce was at Man City or he was around when Pearce had the under 21s. I should have checked really but it's late so I just went with it. If he hasn't worked with him, then I concede my point may come across as random! Just trying to think who Alan Brazil was bigging up last week and I'll start a new thread,

• @Artful-Dodger just checked, does not appear as though they have worked together! Gunn was in the under 17s when Pearce was in charge of the under 21s so there could be a tedious link somewhere or it could be I have just shared a random fact!

• I am sadly afflicted with the curse of 40 years a Saints Fan. I would choose Gun as our number one. I like the way he commands his box and he is a good shot stopper. By the way the Saints squad looks good plus we now have a decent manger. No relegation fodder this season.

• @LittleFish I’m a fan of Hasenhuttl, I reckon he will get saints playing some good stuff, which will see a few players rising.

• @Mintyfresh There have been a few positive comments coming out of the England youth set up over the past couple of years so I imagine Pearce just picked up on this.

• Well this is pretty impressive...

0_1564322964727_Gunn.jpeg

• Walter Benitez has been mentioned and he's the one for me. Nice has such a good clean sheet record last season and Benitez is still young so could move to a bigger club if he has another impressive season.