Portfolio size dilemma...

• I feel I’ve started investing a bit too much of my total savings in here (around 2/3s).

At the moment I’m thinking of somehow downsizing the portfolio to a safer level. Perhaps 1/3 of total savings.

Thing is I know that the index is growing quick and I probably won’t make money quicker elsewhere. However, I feel a bit anxious that my money isn’t as protected as it would be elsewhere.

Can anyone give any advice or suggestions to help on slowly downsizing things or what to do?! How much of your savings is in here?

• I can relate to this, been here around 5 /6 weeks and everyday i think to myself have i done the right thing putting money into this platform. Since the beginning of July i have put in £1150, which is way more then i initially expected to put in and at a much faster rate then i wanted too. I guess i am slightly relaxed by the fact that this was all disposable income (rather then my life's savings which is still in the bank earning fuck all interest) and if FI went down tomorrow i would be pissed but i would be ok. I would probably feel different if it was like all my money!!.

But when i think about it, i tell my self that i made £96 in interest on my savings in a year, and in FI if i sold up now i would make £65 profit (less 2%) which is a similar amount but in only 5/6 weeks with like 1/12 of the capital. So for now i am happy.
    Unfortunately investing on FI is not as safe as say investing in houses, but then i can't afford a house so what are you gonna do, got to be safer then investing in the actual stock market as well, at least you know what you are investing in here, i know about football, i know F all about the performance of FTSE 100 companies, and that's the only way that i could see that you would get a similar if not better return on your money invested, putting it in a bank is safer but a complete waste of time (unless you have millions or whatever, thanks global financial crisis of 2008!!)

Also with the amount of new users and the rate of growth the FI are experiencing which is so fast that you can actually see in in real time. (like if you remember what your new user forum number was when you joined and compare against the recent new users numbers are now you can estimate how many people have joined since you and for me its like 20000 odd at least in 5 weeks) Also they talk about the amounts of money being traded on here (remembering that if you put your money in you have to pay 2% at least to get it out again) I think that FI are doing just fine and this should only continue.

if you put money into here using a credit card maybe you have some additional consumer protection that comes form that payment method same way that you have protection on anything else that you buy on a credit card (might be worth checking that out).

Anyway that's my two cents worth, but as i say not been around here long, i am sure other people would be able to give better advice then i could about the long term investments on the platform and how it did for them.....people do seem to be making money on here so if you can't beat them might as well join them.

• I make about 6 pound on average a day in dividens alone. Good days about 10. Worst days usually 3. This is not taking into account cap app. If u have a few tidy sales u can look at increasing or at least maintaining port size while decreasing net deposits. If u just think about football index for a second and how big they are e.g. sponsorship, just think of the clever iniatives they have. You can just tell its a product going in the right direction. If u said to me u can take a risk and u have a less than 1 percent chance of this product failing but a 50/50 percent chance of doubling your money i would take the risk as yes i can lose but i would rather take the gamble. Just think about the amount of commission this company makes there is no way they would want to stop or anything like that

• Have you got holds that have made significant profit? You could look at selling some of the shares you hold in those players to realise the profit?

• If the amount you have deposited into Football Index is making you anxious then I'd advise reducing that amount, mental health is way more important than making a little extra £££ each month. Only bet what you can afford to lose!

• @Sacred sound advice to be fair!

• its on all our minds but to help me sleep i came up with this.
    if i lost loads of money, that would be painfuul but if i missed a massive opportunity to make 100k in five years, tht would be worse. money comes and money goes moe

• @Sacred said in Portfolio size dilemma...:

If the amount you have deposited into Football Index is making you anxious then I'd advise reducing that amount, mental health is way more important than making a little extra £££ each month. Only bet what you can afford to lose!

This is 100% correct.
    With the growth in FI I daresay many of us are encroaching on similar position to the OP. But we must stick to the old adage; only put in what you can afford to lose. The moment you are feeling anxious etc is a pretty clear indication you've gone beyond that point.

• @TeamGB

As others had said, anxiety isn't worth making a few extra pounds profit. I do feel a lot of traders over stretched their finances during the promotion period to get 10% cashback.

As everyone says, only bet what you can afford to lose. Every traders situation is different. I have roughly 50% of my savings in FI, but my mortgage is paid off, I am never having kids and the money in my separate joint account with my partner will cover food, bills and holidays for the next 3 months. So in my case, this is disposable income, I would be very upset to lose it all but it is not the end of the world.

If you are anxious about your portfolio probably best to derisk. First, and simplest, don't make any more deposits for awhile. If you have players earning you dividends, don't reinvest those dividends, instead withdraw them in £10 increments. If you have a few players making a good profit, say 50%, then consider selling and withdrawing the cash. If you want to keep these players then maybe consider selling half of the shares and cashing out the rest. If you have a few bad trades maybe consider selling them and recouping some losses.

In a few months, after your savings have increased and your savings to FI deposits ratio has increased you can reconsider your position and start depositing again.

I have every confidence in FI and it's future. I hope you feel less anxious about it soon. FI should be fun, not stressful. All the best.

• Thanks for all your replies which I’ll think about and decide what to do. Will probably downsize to something more sensible but no way am I leaving FI as it’s way too much fun.

• @kaka8 said in Portfolio size dilemma...:

its on all our minds but to help me sleep i came up with this.
    if i lost loads of money, that would be painfuul but if i missed a massive opportunity to make 100k in five years, tht would be worse. money comes and money goes moe

As Del Boy says "he who dares wins, Rodney!" ? 😁

• All to do with your attitude to risk. It's gambling. And, as much as we like to take the p*ss out of the adverts:
    when the fun stops... stop.

I put in c.10% of my overall liquid assets, and I won't be depositing any more.
    I'm very happy to steadily reinvest my dividends and let it compound.

Maybe consider reframing your investing approach- e.g. decide you want to aggressively strip back your portfolio size to 10-15 players. Sell off whoever doesn't make the cut. Reinvest the returns into those 10-15 but leave your investment at the level that's comfortable to you.

• I'm doing something similar now, starting to take out some money here and there to 'derisk', although not in any rush to do so.
    Trying to keep a cap on current player value, in my case no more than £200 or £250 depending on the player and % profit.
    Basically just taking off a bit of profit and withdrawing rather than reinvesting.

Will see how it goes doing this for the next 2 months or so and go from there!

• I have 66 player in my port..I'm trying to get them all to 100 then I will not invest for a few months just play with the dividens.Then take out my investment.

• I'm anxious about the money I'm not putting in.

• If you have it put it in..but dont go beyond you means mate.
    Me personally feel I've put in more than I should have but I am seeing a better return that if it were in the bank.
    It wont make me a millionaire (wish full thinking) but it's a bit of fun.
    I now will not put as much in as I did.I feel I've covered who will give me returns but could be improvement but will see in 6months time.