Too expensive for IPD?

• What is your max price for an IPD purchase? And what is your thought process behind it?

Hear a lot say a player is 'too expensive for IPD' and wanting to know more

• I generally only think of IPD as a nice to have rather than a buying strategy. I tried it a bit last season and didnt enjoy it and came out just about even.

If you're looking at flipping someone every 30 days, I was looking at strikers priced under 60p and and for it to be profitable to need them to score at least twice that month. A lot of the IPD players from last season have gone too expensive for flipping this season IMO

• @FINorth said in Too expensive for IPD?:

What is your max price for an IPD purchase? And what is your thought process behind it?

Hear a lot say a player is 'too expensive for IPD' and wanting to know more

If you’ll have to pay more commission to sell them than the amount of ipd’s you think they’ll earn in 30 days they’re too expensive.

• @Journey I believe too much has gone into the ipd market and in a lot of cases people are buying just in the hope of selling an overpriced player to somebody a little naive.

• @Journey said in Too expensive for IPD?:

I generally only think of IPD as a nice to have rather than a buying strategy

I tend to agree but also see some value in the following strategies;

Gk's under 40p - usually 4/5 league games but as a bonus add a couple of Internationals so 6/7 games give a good CS ratio to profit.
    Defenders under 50p - 2p a goal is an advantage but tend to have less G&A's so usually wait until they score before buying
    Mid/For under 60p - can be prolific for G&A & a good scoring run will often lead to some capital appreciation, as others buy the IPD performances.

Most IPD plays like Vardy have risen from 40p last season to 80p now & realistically need a great scoring streak to be worth buying purely for IPD returns. However for most outfielders a run of G&A often attracts attention either for PB or IPD chasers so can be profitable from a capital appreciation POV but as with most short term trades the TIMING is all important, both buying & selling as the platform does seem to have become more volatile in response to good/bad performances.

• @NewUser159387 said in Too expensive for IPD?:

@Journey said in Too expensive for IPD?:

I generally only think of IPD as a nice to have rather than a buying strategy

I tend to agree but also see some value in the following strategies;

Gk's under 40p - usually 4/5 league games but as a bonus add a couple of Internationals so 6/7 games give a good CS ratio to profit.
    Defenders under 50p - 2p a goal is an advantage but tend to have less G&A's so usually wait until they score before buying
    Mid/For under 60p - can be prolific for G&A & a good scoring run will often lead to some capital appreciation, as others buy the IPD performances.

Most IPD plays like Vardy have risen from 40p last season to 80p now & realistically need a great scoring streak to be worth buying purely for IPD returns. However for most outfielders a run of G&A often attracts attention either for PB or IPD chasers so can be profitable from a capital appreciation POV but as with most short term trades the TIMING is all important, both buying & selling as the platform does seem to have become more volatile in response to good/bad performances.

^^ Good post 👍

Surprised it didn't have more upvotes.

• @Timothee-Atouba said in Too expensive for IPD?:

@Journey I believe too much has gone into the ipd market and in a lot of cases people are buying just in the hope of selling an overpriced player to somebody a little naive.

100%. I'm interested to see what happens in about 3 weeks time when a load of holders who bought are no longer eligible for IPDs and are holding £1 plus forwards that have little chance of PB.

• It might be different to other people but I often just think of IPD as a discount on the buy price if they get some. For example I got Depay the day the changes to the matrix was announced because I thought he would benefit. Got him for £2 and he's returned 4p in IPD so I think in my head that I got him for £1.96.

I would never solely buy a player for IPD (although its a viable strategy) but instead see any IPD returned by buys as a form of cash back. Regardless of how many IPD are returned I always focus on judging a players intrinsic value by other measures.

• @NewUser159387 The volatility is great for ipd players. I've had a couple of ipd players so far this season and when they've scored they've risen 10p+. Would be great if this continued but it's probably just over eager traders at start of season.

• @FINorth I think it depends if the player is an IPD player only with virtually no chance of PB/MB or a future transfer.

The classic IPD forward is Vardy - for me this type of player has a max price of 80-90p. They're not a long term hold they're someone you're looking to hold for up to 30 days on a good run of fixtures and sell after. There's a limit to how much someone is willing to spend for those 30 days given the likely number of goals and then having to sell.

There are plenty of forwards in this category for me that are now over-priced, and I'm fascinated to see what holders of these players do once the 30 days IPDs are up, theyre not competing for PB and there's no buyers because the price is just too high. Personally I can see some fair drops in the prices of some of these forwards until they become attractively price for IPDs again.

• Under 50p. No chance of MB or PB.

Doesn’t matter if they are a sub, a goal is a goal.

Most IPD’s players have been pumped to death and are now well overpriced, Vardy being the best example.

A lot of players around a £1 will come crashing down imo but that doesn't matter because the ipd element will come back stronger, think we could see some big drops in that area at some point.

Perez at Leicester also an example, pretty good last year for IPD’S now in no mans land and on the decline steadily.

Bundesliga are the best ones now.

• Santi Cazorla @58p is a good shout taking penalties and frees at villareal, already has a g&a in his first game.
    I'm predicting a first pb win for him this season too as dribbles, long balls & key passes are all part of his weaponry & he had 10 assists last season which have been given more points in new matrix.
    Score of 2.15 in first game without gwg or game winning points, surely going to score even higher at some stage with full season ahead.
    If he avoids bad injuries he's getting a pb win & 14 g&a last season too.
    He's my dark horse!

• So Morata is 1.08

Atletico fixtures in next 30 days
    Leganes , Eibar , Real Sociedad and Celta Vigo

Spain fixture in next 30 days
    Romania and Faroe Islands

Its obviously hard to predict but looking at those fixtures and seeing as he is on 50% goal rate at Atletico that is 3 goals and probably an assist = 4p in dividends basically 4%.

Take off commission of 2% and you can expect a 2% return over 30 days. Not huge but a return non the less.

Now this is gambling site so he could get injured in first game or he could given those fixtures score and assist around the 10p mark given an 8% return after commission.

This is all providing his price stays at 1.08. Given he plays for a strong team in La Liga , in CL and for Spain and he is only 26 it is probably a safe bet he wont go any lower and given the fixtures he has a big chance of raising in value.

So is he a player to ignore for IPD because hes over 60p? I'd say not and for full disclosure whilst I do own shares in him this is not a pump because I only have 3 shares and I want to buy more so would rather people didn't snap him up.

• @NewUser395994 Some fair points but a couple of challenges:

1. Why is it safe to assume his price wont go any lower? He's pretty much at a 12 month high and has risen 24p in the last 7 days - presumably because of the fixtures you have mentioned. But to buy at £1.08 that's a lot of shares in front of you that will potentially be looking to flip out at some point in the 30 day period.
    2. Your assumption is that you can market sell. But that assumes he is in demand, If you have to instant sell then you have a 5p spread (almost 5% to deal with).
      For me the 60p quoted is low, but Morata is at the absolute top end for an IPD only player - for me there is more downside to him not scoring for 2 games than upside if he scores once each in the next 2.

• Response on Morata - It's a complete gamble and for me my willing to bet based on following.

Do I think he will get at least 4p in dividends over next 30 days - yes

Do I think his price will go up and he will stay in positive demand - yes

Am I happy to hold past 30 days to not instant sell - yes

I think that last point is very important as the cost of instant selling is quite high.

I'm not here to fight Moratas case specifically I just wanted to give an example that shows there is potential value for IPD return in fixtures even on more expensive players. I used Morata as his price is on the higher end for IPD but his fixtures are on the more favourable end of the scale.