Anyone new to the index? Go with you gut.

• When I first joined the index I listed the players on here and twitter that I had purchased and asked for some feedback. I had done some limited research on what to look for but felt it would be better to try and get some feedback from more experienced traders.

I had bought Kante, Witsel, and a few others. I was told Kante doesn't suit the matrix as defensive midfielders don't generally score well. Witsel will rarely win PB's as he plays in a Dortmund team where one of his team mates will genereally outscore him.

I sold both due to the advice I was given. Both these players have had massive rises in their price since the season started and I missed out on these gains.

I'm not being critical of the advice I was given, however I should have stuck to my guns as I knew both players were massively undervalued.

So, my advice to newbies is. If you find a player you believe in, then do not be swayed into changing your mind. Go with your gut.

• But who did you buy with the proceeds? Have they not gone up as well as the market is growing.

• @Pagey74 to be fair I asked the question when I first joined and was put of a couple of players myself only to see them rocket so if I went with my gut I’d be more in profit another lesson learned and probably many more still to learn 👍

• @Pagey74 i find going with your gut amongst other things is best its worked for me but my gut feeling usually only kicks in after ive done a bit of research. I have to say though with the players you have mentioned that is sound advice and i believe the only reasons for rises in these players now is either new users doing the same as you did or people are gambling that changes to the matrix could help these types of player but at the time no one would have known these changes were coming. So my advice is dont dwell on players prices after you have sold them, you’ve probably made money elsewhere. Worrying about the prices of players tou dont own just creates FOMO

• @Black-wolf I'm not moaning or worrying about prices that have risen as I have done pretty well on the index overall. I just wanted to point out if you feel confident in a player then go for it regardless of what other people might say.

• @Pagey74 i agree i was just pointing out that was good advice that you were given most likely from an experienced member. But like you have said you’re gut feeling is so important ive said this a few times because for its crucial gor me to have confidence in my selections

• Completely agree with this

• @Pagey74

This is what I told you two months ago.

"Firstly, let me ask the reasoning/logic behind why you bought these players. Then I can possibly provide a bit of guidance.

It's worth reading the 'all things football index' thread at the top of the chat list. It includes all the basics, and quite a few golden nuggets that might save you from signing players like Kante in the future.

Now, I'm not saying he won't increase in value. He probably will, simply due to the growth of the platform. What I am saying is that defensive centre mid is probably the worst position on the index for PB. Look at Busquets, Casemiro, Kante. Three world class players, and all going for peanuts.

If Kante goes back to being the anchor in the Chelsea midfield, I don't think he will win PB this season. Oh, and he will never win MB, unless he turns out to be Pogbas cousin. 🤣"

‐-------

All of that advice is still valid.

I find it disingenuous to then come on the forum moaning about logical advice that was given in good faith.

Like a gambler crying about accepting advice from a friend who recommended at 85 minutes to cash out on the draw, only to then see a 93rd minute winner and claim 'I knew that was coming, why didnt I trust my gut'.

Kante did rise.
    Kante still won't win PB.
    Kante still won't win MB.

• Never act solely on the advice given to you, unless a) they are an expert and b) you know nothing about the subject.
    Chances are, neither a nor b are correct.
    If the advice doesn't feel right, don't take it.

Take your own thoughts, test them with others, and make your own decisions. It's all about balance.

• @Pagey74 not sure who told you to sell witsel. I agree with kante as he never gets good scores but witsel has had some awesome PB scores last season even before the matrix changes.

Very poor advice in my opinion.

• @Pagey74

Pagey74 2 months ago

Just signed up and made a deposit of £120. Bought 50 shares each in 4 players. Mancini (Atlanta) @69p Abel Ruiz (Barcelona) @87p Christian Fructl (Bayern Munich) @31p and N'golo Kante (Chelsea) @50p. I'm going to add £50 a month to build up my portfolio. Any advice would be much appreciated.
    Thanks.

Firstly if you're going to call stuff out lets be clear that Witsel was not in the list of players you asked for feedback on!
    Secondly, to be fair I don't recall anybody saying anything that isn't true.
    Kante doesn't suit the PB matrix - correct
    It's been at least 2 months since people shared their views, Kante still has won no divs and, bar one day, has been flat in price for the whole 2 months. He had one, in my view, totally irrational rise during the Super Cup which I don't think anyone could have predicted would happen.
    If you come on a forum and ask for advice, which you did, most people will try to give you an honest balanced view and you can then chose how to act based on that advice. Nobody had a gun to your head and said sell Kante - it was ultimately your choice so own that choice.

• To be honest I really dont understand anyone asking advice on either "who should I buy guys?" or "who should I sell from my portfolio?"

If you need to ask these questions then you certainly cannot moan if things don't work out.

It's that old adage "would you put your hand in the fire if they told you to?"

Asking advice is completely different, thats what the forum is for. But these types of questions are a disaster waiting to happen.
    @johnboywalker gave a very fair assessment in his reply but I bet most of the other comments were pumps

• @janner73 said in Anyone new to the index? Go with you gut.:

@Pagey74

Pagey74 2 months ago

Just signed up and made a deposit of £120. Bought 50 shares each in 4 players. Mancini (Atlanta) @69p Abel Ruiz (Barcelona) @87p Christian Fructl (Bayern Munich) @31p and N'golo Kante (Chelsea) @50p. I'm going to add £50 a month to build up my portfolio. Any advice would be much appreciated.
    Thanks.

Firstly if you're going to call stuff out lets be clear that Witsel was not in the list of players you asked for feedback on!
    Secondly, to be fair I don't recall anybody saying anything that isn't true.
    It's been at least 2 months since people shared their views, Kante still has won no divs and, bar one day, has been flat in price for the whole 2 months. He had one, in my view, totally irrational rise during the Super Cup which I don't think anyone could have predicted would happen.
    If you come on a forum and ask for advice, which you did, most people will try to give you an honest balanced view and you can then chose how to act based on that advice. Nobody had a gun to your head and said sell Kante - it was ultimately your choice so own that choice.

Need to edit this as I have since seen the Witsel conversation was in a different thread a few weeks later. A thread that was started by someone else rather than you directly asking for feedback on Witsel.

• People are getting the wrong end of the stick here. My point of opening this thread was not to criticise anyone if anything it was to get people to really believe in their instinct and to encourage people to go with their gut feeling.

I have seen countless threads, mine included asking peoples opinions on their portfolio. In hindsight I wish I hadn't as it's pointless really as @ScouseSte has already stated the obvious reasons.

@johnboywalker Like I have already stated I'm not having a go and the reasons you gave on Kante were and still are 100% accurate imo. So please accept my apologies if you have been offended. That was not my intention.

Obviously players will rise and fall but no one really knows who, this is why we love the index. I'm just encouraging new users to go with their gut feelings on players.

Hope this clarifies the reasoning for this post.

• @janner73 said in Anyone new to the index? Go with you gut.:

Agree with you that buying or selling any players is a personal choice but has to disagree with you on Kante.

Have you looked at Kante PB history? It is ridiculous to just mention the last 2 months, i.e. 2 months of Summer holidays! It is normal for Kante (and all most all other footballers) not winning any PB dividends in this two months as there were no PB matches; It is also straightforward for all squad players not winning any MB.

His top 5 PB scores are 249, 208, 181, 169, 166; His total dividend yield is 43p. This record is higher than many players in the top 200.

Can you find any players at his price range or less (£0.82) having a better PB/dividend record?

• @Victory He last won PB 713 days ago! I wasn't on the index then but I'm pretty sure that would have been fairly soon after PB was launched and the number of players on the index was significantly less than now so no he's not a good PB player. Any on any given day any player can put up a 200 plus score with a game winning goal but Kante doesn't score enough to regularly put up those scores.

He last won MB 403 days ago, again before my time on the index.

I can safely say in the year I have been on FI he has returned precisely zero in dividends,

But the point isn't to get in a Kante argument.

• @Victory where are you getting the info index gain has him not winning a single dividend this season or last is this from the MB only days?

• 0_1566563991448_7E673E0C-E874-4AB1-AD70-CF63411CEF71.png

His actual dividend return is 12p according to this and taking the share split in to consideration

• @janner73 Why do we have to limit our conversation to your time on the index?

It is true and people may have very different opinions about the same player. I just give another view about a player as everyone seems to be very negative about him.

PB history is a good reference as it tells you the facts without people opinion. Everyone makes their own decision.

• @Black-wolf True.

From my observation: It is not because Kante's style does not fit PB matrix; it is because his style does not fit Sarri 's tactic; given that his price is very cheap and he is not very bad in terms of PB record.

• Was he a good investment couple of months ago? Definitely Yes, as at that time he was vastly underpriced!

• Is he a good investment now? I think it is still a yes. You may have a different answer.