Who is gonna be this year's Ajax?

• Because it almost certainly won't be Ajax! Or will there even be a surprise package in the Champion's League? Could it be a Portuguese or Turkish team or will a Scandinavian or Eastern European team upset their way through to the QF and beyond?

For me, Atalanta are interesting but I don't know enough about them and RB Salzburg maybe will struggle without Manus Dabbur's goals and experience up top but have that fearless youth and flair that served Ajax so well last year.

• Inter will do very well this year. Some great signings imo.

• @Lukeroro

Admittedly they lost two central figures in De Jong and De Ligt, but I still believe Ajax have an excellent team and steady ship being guided by Erik Ten Hag.

They won't be able to replace those stars, but write them off at your peril.

These kids (Neres, Ziyech, Van De Beek, Mazraoui) can see the bright lights of their future ahead of them and want to follow the path of Frenkie and co to the big time.

Atalanta are a strong side, but I worry that the squad lacks the depth to simultaneously compete in Serie A and the Champions League.

Gomez and Ilicit are both over 30 and will need to be managed efficiently. Without them, Atalanta are a completely different proposition.

• I think Salzburg could surprise a few teams this year

• @johnboywalker what do you think on Pasalic at Atalanta? Is he going to get CL game time?

@Carboney I'm not sure if Haland/Daka/Minamino will score in the CL so I think maybe they will struggle. I hold Hwang and Daka so I hope so!

@gball1975 don't you think they look a bit shaky at the back?

• @Lukeroro ..better than lastvuear, Diego Godin brought to plug the centre back hole. 2nd best defence in league last year...they'll be fine, much stronger midfield and forward line is very good.

• So how many people said Atalanta would be this years 'Champions Leagues 'Ajax'' ? 🤔

• @gball1975 👋over here yep i was one of them I believe

• @gball1975 said in Who is gonna be this year's Ajax?:

So how many people said Atalanta would be this years 'Champions Leagues 'Ajax'' ? 🤔

Judging by this thread?

None.

• @Black-wolf I still think Inter to be fair 🤔

• Nobody most likely. Champions league is pretty predictable most seasons in who gets to the quarter finals and beyond. Ajax was a one off, not a regular occurrence.

• @Dr-Jan-Itor said in Who is gonna be this year's Ajax?:

Nobody most likely. Champions league is pretty predictable most seasons in who gets to the quarter finals and beyond. Ajax was a one off, not a regular occurrence.

I'd agree it's not a regular thing but disagree about a one-off. Even Spurs got there last season😉
    Other unusual Quarter Finalists:
    2017 Leicester
    2016 Wolfsburg
    2013 Malaga, Galatossers
    2012 APOEL

I did think that Salzburg would do well. Easier now after that 1st game but I thought it before that. They have it so easy in Austria and can rest almost as many players as they like to be ready for the CL games. They have money and a great scouting network. Looked good in the Europa last year and will have built on that.

• I would of said Lyon but they need a new manager, oh and there 2 centre halves are abysmal!

• Ajax has more on depth squad right now and they will do very well. I would see them reaching quarters and boss Valencia tonight!

• Probably look stupid tonight after this but wouldn't surprise me to see Red Bull Salzburg being the surprise package this season

• agree with the above... not sure if they'll be the 'next' Ajax but either of the Red Bull franchises could have a good run in either competition (remember third place reaches the Europa) and both Salzburg and Leipzig have some very good young players who can go on to bigger things by doing well in Europe.

• The new ajax is ajax!!!! Ziyich what a goal omgggggg...... outside the box top corner

• Are you sure it certainly won’t be Ajax?

• I'm going with Ajax

• Still saying Inter...beating Barca in Spain!!

Looks like your connection to Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.