How's does everyone judge how much money they put into fi?

• I was just interested as I have a little money saved up in the bank and I just always want to chuck more money into the index. It wouldn't be a disaster if I lost it all but at the same time I guess it's nice to have a little buffer. Thoughts?

• @Tom7471 I've put in about 1.9k in to this and this morning deposited for the first time for about 4 months as I've worked around what stocks I have and free up funds by buying and selling those shares.
    Only deposited this morning due to the surprise ipo's in the middle of the night which didn't work out too well lol.
    I have a wife to think of and this is in the end gambling so I am fortunate that she gives me a little leeway to do this,I am very lucky in that respect.
    I first wanted to do this due to having some savings and getting next to nothing in interest so to me it's a massive success but I am still conscious of not going in too big monetary wise, I am a cautious person at heart which not sure helps me on here at times as sometimes I'd wished I had gone in bigger on some of my holds.

• Nice that's really cool that your wife is understanding. My girlfriend couldn't give a shit what a do which is handy and gives me a lot of room for manoeuvre. I'm taking it seriously at the minute and learning so much so quickly.

• As much as I would be happy losing. Personally I would never take debt on in order to finance spending on FI, I wouldn't even pay for a deposit using a credit card. Ultimately, everyone had different circumstances and whats a lot of money to me is probably pocket change for some people on here. Just remember that this is still a betting platform and only put in what you feel personally feel comfortable with mate. If your asking about using savings that is something I’ve done. The best cash ISA out there is paying about 1.5% AER, you can do better than that on the index relatively easily.

• @Tom7471 I think if she had a choice she'd rather me not do this as at the end of the day it is still gambling but I keep her informed how it's going and luckily she trusts that what i'm doing.
    Main problem is this bloody thing takes up so much of your time and it's hard to just switch off.
    This ain't an 8-4pm or whatever it is these days normal stock market,this market never sleeps as we found out when the ipo's were released when most of us were fast asleep.
    You will wether you have done this for 3 months or 3 years learn something new and you will still make the odd mistake.
    Nothing is 100% certain which keeps you on your toes alright😉

• I’ve put in 10k. Was never my plan but things went well (until today anyway!) I started with 1k and soon realised I could do ok and added more and more. I added about 6k during the 10% bonus period as it was too good an offer not to and I’ve just gone on from there. My wife doesn’t even know about FI, but that doesn’t matter as with other advice above, I don’t borrow to invest, don’t go overdrawn and only use disposable income. So all the stuff I need to pay for is. This has to be last in priority list even if it’s the most enjoyable!

• I’ve managed to save roughly 5K from my first year of working (whilst also moving into my own place) and are going to end up depositing 3K of that into FI and leaving the other 2K in my bank. Am going to put 60% of whatever I can save each money onto FI going forward

• Iv put in 3k, which, if I'm honest, be a little pissed if I'd lost. Can't see it happening as I'm currently sitting at 3400 after a couple of months. Port has declined a bit recently but everyone on the forum has been quite reassuring and I'm hoping it's a blip. I could invest more but I'm not 100% confident in what I'm going. All the best everyone

• I’ve invested around a quarter of my savings into FI so if it all goes tits up tomorrow it won’t affect me much. Over time the aim is to withdraw the investment and be free rolling in around 12 months time.

• Well... I think there's a strong argument for taking out the biggest loan you can find and dumping it in.

That's a bold action but I'm over 50% up since joining at Christmas and never once felt in danger of losing money.

There's always a risk with gambling but there's a risk with opening a business too.

• Rightly or wrongly. Whatever I have left in my back account a day before pay day is rounded down to the closest 50 quid and transfer that across.

• @Dan-The-Man said in How's does everyone judge how much money they put into fi?:

Well... I think there's a strong argument for taking out the biggest loan you can find and dumping it in.

That's a bold action but I'm over 50% up since joining at Christmas and never once felt in danger of losing money.

There's always a risk with gambling but there's a risk with opening a business too.

During these rather unpredictable times, taking out any kind of loan to put into FI is madness!

I've been telling a couple of my mates for months to get involved in FI because it's been relatively simple to make good profit - buy good players who perform well on the pitch or who bring in divs from their media appeal etc . I'd show them my portfolio every month and they have been impressed and are close to signing up.

But at the moment, there is little logic to the huge spikes, consistent falls and general confusion in the market as to what is a "safe" investment.

Things will level out a bit im sure but when I see my mates next, I am not going to be pushing them to invest at this juncture, and will advise them to hang on until this storm passes

• @Dan-The-Man whilst that might work for you and many others, I would not encourage that. Yesterday being a perfect example. I've made just over 3k since April and it perhaps has been a little too easy. Since Saturday I have managed to lose around £200 of that, through commission from some sales I decided on and through the market generally dropping. Plus a harsh lesson learnt on IPOs - seems 6:30am was too late! If someone had taken out as big a loan as they could alst Friday they could be in a very uncomfortable position today. So my advice would be as I stated above - spend what you can afford to lose, realistically you won't lose large chunks unless the highly unlikely (at this stage) scenario of FI going bust occurs. But I wouldn't want to be chasing heavy losses because I have a loan repayment o make. Just my tuppence worth

• @ScouseSte

I think if you look back through the forums, you'll see someone say that just about every week... and if you look back at your portfolio to when they said it... you'll see that you probably still experienced growth.

It's not that players have stopped growing, it's just that your players might have.

Time to mix it up a bit old boy.

• @Dan-The-Man said in How's does everyone judge how much money they put into fi?:

@ScouseSte

I think if you look back through the forums, you'll see someone say that just about every week... and if you look back at your portfolio to when they said it... you'll see that you probably still experienced growth.

It's not that players have stopped growing, it's just that your players might have.

Time to mix it up a bit old boy.

Nah. My players have been solid for 11 months, and they'll bounce back.
    I've portioned off a few bob for playing about with but essentially I'm just going to leave the majority of the portfolio to recover, as they damn well should

• I put in between 20 and 50 quid a week as its replaced my usual accas.

• @Webbinho wow brave man keeping large chunks of money secret from the missus.

I did it for a while and she went barmy when I finally told her. Luckily I'd make a nice wedge of profit which softened the blow and shed quite interested now she knows it's going towards paying of the mortgage eventually.

• @Stevo I put what I've always done into our joint account and we have our own accounts otherwise and its all good. I'll tell her one day (I hope!). Ideally is its a nice surprise when I unveil the mortgage redemption statement well in advance if the 20 years we've got left! Always good to have dream anyway!

• @Webbinho well that was my plan. I thought I'd better make a decent amount before I told her so she didn't think it was just some stupid gambling thing.

I thought she'd be made up but oh no she was pissed off that I'd kept something so important from her 🤣

Looks like your connection to Football Index Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.