FI A steep learning curve!

• I joined FI around two weeks ago. Seemed like a potentially fun investment with opportunities for some decent returns. I’ve quickly had to learn from my mistakes.

Overall I’m still breaking even, had some good wins and so bad losses. So things I’ve learned the hard way already.

Don’t get carried away! The IPOs burnt me. Like most I was to late but after all the hype I couldn’t help but jump on board. I invested at the wrong time and watched as the prices fell away. Lesson learnt!

Don’t take peoples word for it! I’ve read some very compelling arguments for players on the forum. Then checked and though oh yes, good investment. Then later regretted it. Perfect example was a Swedish midfielder, heard someone talking him up. He looked cheap and promising so I invested. In the course of a week he’s moved 1p down. Then I hear he’s injured till January! Oops!

Do your research! Very important, don’t take someone’s word for it, check for yourself.

Patience is king! Quick returns are hard to predict and get right. Slow burners are much easier to find.

So far I’ve enjoyed my brief stay on here, I’m sure I’ll make more mistakes along the way but I’ve enjoyed finding out just how much there is to learn on this game.

So was interested to know, when you first joined FI, did you make similar mistakes,

• @Andy-O said in FI A steep learning curve!:

I joined FI around two weeks ago. Seemed like a potentially fun investment with opportunities for some decent returns. I’ve quickly had to learn from my mistakes.

Overall I’m still breaking even, had some good wins and so bad losses. So things I’ve learned the hard way already.

If you've broken even in the last two weeks, you've done very well at a difficult time. A good start!

• I joined in February, just before the split. I was very fortunate the time I did join as price’s were rocketing, it was easy to make money, then the bonus’s followed etc and my port went from strength to strength. The first IPO’s I got stung but I learnt quickly and now I find them extremely profitable. I’ve had fantastic buys for instance buying in on the Ajax lads and I’ve made poor purchases or just been unlucky with a player getting injured. After 7 months I’ve withdrew my initial deposit and now I’m playing risk free. Learn from your mistakes and go with your gut!

• @Andy-O said in FI A steep learning curve!:

Don’t take peoples word for it! I’ve read some very compelling arguments for players on the forum. Then checked and though oh yes, good investment. Then later regretted it. Perfect example was a Swedish midfielder, heard someone talking him up. He looked cheap and promising so I invested. In the course of a week he’s moved 1p down. Then I hear he’s injured till January! Oops!

Not saying that you should never listen to people's opinions on here, as some people can offer some very good food for thought, but players moving up and down by 1p is hardly a substantial bit of movement. You can really only judge if it's a good buy imo with at least a few months to see how well they do in your port.
    And regarding the injury, that's just unlucky, that could happen to literally any player.
    So what I'm trying to say is don't completely disregard what some people say, as they offer good pointers, but obvs do your own research before a buy as well.

• Sounds like you are learning on the cheap. Me on the other hand has to learn the expensive way. I went mental buying defenders that cost quite a lot and they lost me a good bit of money. I'm still learning but really enjoying it way the minute.

• @DavidMUFC1987 Thanks for the response. I’ve heard a few people mention ‘The Split’. What was that though as I’ve not worked it out yet.

• I joined 8 days ago, deposited 130 made a few mistakes myself mostly failing to calculate commission into sales and panic selling players with insta sell lost 8 pound overall .... got refunded back to 130 and currently at 136.

I wouldn't write off that Swedish player if I were you. 1p loss over a week is nothing and if he is currently injured for 3 months I'm sure he will see a rise when he returns.

• @Andy-O a few months ago all the players prices were divided by 3 and holders were given 3x their number of shares. i.e. if you held 100 Pogba at £24 … after the split you had 300 Pogba at £8.

Dividends were also split, but in most cases, not quite by 3 so dividends at the time of the split were slightly better (altho as prices go up the dividend worsens).

• @Vespasian32 ah ok, thanks, I wasn’t aware of that.

• @Vespasian32 said in FI A steep learning curve!:

@Andy-O a few months ago all the players prices were divided by 3 and holders were given 3x their number of shares. i.e. if you held 100 Pogba at £24 … after the split you had 300 Pogba at £7.

Dividends were also split, but in most cases, not quite by 3 so dividends at the time of the split were slightly better (altho as prices go up the dividend worsens).

MrWhite gonna give you a bollocking for that.

• @Jimbob haha in reality it was true... almost straight after the split Pogba plummeted from his post split value.

• @Jimbob why?

• @MrWh1te 24 divided by 3 isnt 7 😂. Think he was pointing out you wouldn’t appreciate his poor maths

• LOL missed that

• @Andy-O

Hi Andy,

I have also not long joined the index, end of last season. It has been a steep learning curve for me too, probably just broke even.

I seem to be stuck in a rut at the moment, all of my players have lost money, except Daniel James, have a profile of about 15 players.

I am a little concerned whether they will recover, or whether to sale them at a slight loss. I could do with some advice from somebody who had been on here longer.

Good luck mate, I am also Andy. Andy S.

• @NewUser327346 Hi new user, first tip is to give yourself a proper username :)

When I have players who have dropped in value I reevaluate them. Bear in mind even good portfolios have declined in the last couple of weeks due to various reasons, so don’t be put off by this, it will recover.

To re-evaluate your players. Look at their price, look at the players around a similar price point and above / below and see if you still think they are good value for money. Check their stats, are they going to earn divs, do they get enough goals and assist normally, what fixtures are coming up for their team? Remember why you bought them. Then make a decision, if they look undervalued then hold, if you think they have further to fall then maybe sell.

Don’t make rash decisions and be patient with some of your holdings. If you bought cheap players they can take a long time to rise off the back of a good performance. Expensive players can fluctuate in price a fair bit but if they earn divs then maybe worth continuing to hold.

Finally, keep a balanced portfolio. I’ve got around 40% in top dive earners, 40% in mid price and 20% in cheap. Different areas of the portfolio will rise and fall on trends. Also balanced with short, medium and long term holds. Short term holds are those I intend to flip quickly and are a minority in my portfolio as they are something of a gamble.

• Some really good advice coming in. Also nice to know I’m not the only one who has made a few errors along the way!

• @Luke

Thanks for the advice Luke, as you have said I think I need to buy more expensive players, the most I have spent on one player is £3.

Cheers mate.

• @NewUser327346 if you’re looking to back just one expensive player, make sure it’s one that earns plenty of MB and or PB. If nothing else it will keep your morale up to see a few pennies coming in.

• @Andy-O think you have done well to break even. The last couple of weeks has seen decline in most of favoured players for divs. Been here 5 months and done ok and made same mistakes as you in the begining particularly instant selling players cos that will quickly eat into your gains. I'm still picking different things up along the way and still make school boy errors.
    You have to adapt to market trends which seem to go in cycles, either youth,mb,pb,ipd and tranfer prospects to name but a few.
    If I had to give one price of advice it would be plan ahead and get on players early for what ever reason your buying them.
    And visit here often a lot of good lads on here mostly with great advice and very helpful.

Looks like your connection to Football Index Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.