First Anniversary on FI!

• 0_1567955415834_upload-f004f913-b834-40d1-a9de-f826aceb9181
    IPDs: £480.85

Hard to tell my story in a few words, but will be as brief as possible using bullet points:
    • DISCOVERY: Discovered FI in an advert on BT Sport website. The football stock market claim really appealed to me as I had at the time been investing in the real stock market with modest results. I knew much more about football than bonds, equity and commercial property. I did my research on the company (including Trustpilot reviews) and took up the £10 taster on Bank Holiday 27 August 2018.

• BEGINNING: Gradually started putting hundreds, then thousands in. Bought all the players that were good players in real life and had around 60 players in my port. Was a bit puzzled why Kane, Messi, Firmino, Mane, etc. were in the red, but was unconcerned as I viewed my investment as a long-term, 3 year hold, coming from said stock market background. Wasn’t interested in dividends at first and immediately reinvested as they came in nearly every day. Bought from the top 200 players “Biggest Increase” in players section I hadn’t heard of at the time: Vinicius, Lozano, Lo Celso, Piatek, Sancho, Thauvin, etc. I also fell into the trap like many new ones in being burnt a few times when buying the cheap Pump and Dump, “Biggest Risers”.

• JUMPING IN: The turning point for me was the London Meet in late September 2018 after I had been with FI for a month. That evening was an absolutely crazy bull market with all my holds in the green and rising. I saw a profit of £1.9k, withdrew £1.4k which paid for my rent, food, expenditure for the next month. Coming back from the Meet, I decided to take out all my money from the stock market (5-figure sum) except for £1k which I put into crypto currencies.

• BEAR MARKET: The day after the London Meet, the market dropped into a bear market, nose diving and falling flat. I heard a few left the platform. The value of my port fell by nearly £1k and I pulled nearly all my money out in October but left in about £2k to see what I could do with that and practiced other strategies. I put back in the rest of my 5-figure sum and trimmed my port to around a dozen players, Dividend Kings: Pogba, Ronaldo, Messi, etc. That kept income coming in and kept me interested. FI brought in a December deposit bonus to stimulate the market and I won £1k, which was more than I had lost. The deposit bonus temporarily revived the market up to mid-December until there was a rumour that there was going to be a share split (SS) and the market began flying for the rest of December 2018 and the whole of January 2019.

• FLAT FEBRUARY 2019: The market could not sustain a bull market forever so there was no real surprise that February was flat. Of course, the dividend kings kept the income flowing.

• SS ANNOUNCEMENT/SS: Absolutely crazy flying times. I did something new for the first time, and brought in a temporary 5-figure sum (that I couldn’t afford to lose) especially for the guaranteed bull market of the SS announcement and the SS itself. This was to maximise the profits (£3.5k). The temporary money also doubled the value of my port.

• DEPOSIT BONUS PT1: Won £1k using my temporary 5-figure sum, but did not get involved in part 2 or part 3 as I kept the temporary money in for Media Days and then the Media Madness period.

• MEDIA MADNESS: The market dropped considerably, predictably after the SS and my port wasn’t in profit (I ignore the profit/loss figure. That’s the profit of your players, minus the losses). I view real profit as any figure above what you invested into the platform. If you invest £3k, and the value of your port is £4k, then that’s £1k profit, minus 2% commission.
    As my port was in loss, I tried something new, which was siphoning off individual player profits. I sold shares of the player in profit, equal to the profit, plus shares to cover the commission and kept the remaining shares. Any leftover money was reinvested. I did this for players that appeared to have reached their peak price. My average 30+ player port were filled with transfer buzz players.

BIG BOYS: I also was determined to win Media Days 1-3 (won only 4 times) and Media Madness 1-5 (won only once!). I was also stubbornly determined to stay with the big boys for the entire Media Madness period, despite the huge losses in keeping them! FOMO unfortunately also stopped me from exiting them as I feared if I did that, people would start pumping into them for the start of the season and I would lose out. Neymar, Pogba, Messi, Hazard and a smaller extent, Sancho, were massively in the red. I no longer hold these Big Boys accept Sancho. The MB that I won from them was not worth the losses. So during preseason 2019, my port dropped by circa £14k. This was due to:

£9.7k – Siphoning profits (safely in my bank)
    £2k – Market fall
    £2k – Loss holding on to Big Boys due to FOMO/Media Madness
    Total: c £14k

I also banked £1k from Deposit Bonus Part 1. The £9.7k withdrawn profits consisted of:
    £8.2k – Price/capital appreciation
    £1.5k – Dividends (PB/MB/IPDs)
    Total: £9.7k

ROI since 27 August 2018: With 5-figure investment (Much nearer £10k than £99k!):
    C 30%
    With temporary 5-figure sum: c 48%.
    IPDs: £480.85
    Total Profits Withdrawn: £18.9k (Divs: £4,114, Price Appreciation: £14,786)

FUTURE OF FI: At that London Meet last year, 2 new directors was introduced to the audience. Both had a hard core gambling company background. I knew immediately then, where FI were heading. From comments I’ve read on the forum from old timers (members that are over a year) they have worked it out too. FI want to grow the platform and make it more profitable by making it more volatile and appealing to short-term gamblers. That is why they introduced IPDs, which I hate (but don’t mind the income from them when I flip players!) Short-term flipping is not my style of trading, I’m more long-term.

I believe what prompted FI to make the platform more volatile was the Big Boy traders (£100k+) who took a massive risk when investing in FI at the start and made the platform what it is today. They have thousands of shares in the Dividend Kings and others who were really cheap at the launch of the platform in 2015. FI pay out thousands in dividends every week to these pioneer traders with very little coming back from them as they rarely flip their ports. They don’t have to. They deservingly just sit and watch the dividends rolling in. So in come the new FI directors from the betting houses with an unsentimental outsiders’ viewpoint who came up with the idea of IPDs to target and recruit short-term gamblers and force the Big Boy investors to flip some of their port. Not only them but everyone on the platform will have to flip some of their port in order not to lose individual player profits. Volatility: Lots of money for FI whether people IS or sell to the market. More profits for FI means that the company grows.

FI MISSED A TRICK: This platform is marketed as a Football Stock Market. “How much is your football knowledge worth”? They talk about portfolios, shares and trading, instead of “gambling”. IPOs (Initial Player Offering) similar to the stock market’s Initial Public Offering (IPO). They are now using NASDAQ technology, utilized by real stock market traders and finance companies. Yet, instead of being brave and targeting long-term investors as real stock market companies does, with a view to investing for up to 3 years, they’ve gone for the short-term, hardened gamblers. These are well served by multiple online and betting shop companies. FI cannot compete with these but are in danger of becoming a FI version of Bet365, squeezing out the long-term trader. In any case, it will be much harder for the long-term trader to make money. FI will grow and increase in profits, but the long-term trader will decrease. I hope I’m wrong.

Slightly disconcerting with FI is that all the bull/flying markets I’ve experienced in the past year has been because of announcements/promotions/SS/deposit bonuses. FI should be growing organically as have other gambling houses.

MY FUTURE: Due to the £14k drop in my port explained above, I’m now playing with a 4-figure port now instead of 5-figure. I have the temporary 5-figure sum which I cannot afford to lose in the platform now that I’m using to help grow my port. I’ll take it out at the end of the year, leaving the 4-figure sum. I never put in new money but try to grow the original investment as you would in the real stock market, except for said temporary investment to maximise guaranteed bull market days.

When the 4-figure sum is left in the New Year, I’ll flip my port from a very diversified 30 player port to about 5 top players. I like to have a minimum of 100 shares per player as less is meaningless if you win dividends. I have a massive task of attempting to grow my port back into a 5-figure value without new money being put in. Future deposit bonuses and promotions/announcements where I can put in the temporary 5-figure sum will help of course. The platform actually growing will also help too. FI has changed and I will have to change and adjust my long-term strategy with it.

I really hope it is onwards and upwards!

• The product 100% needed ipd’s , without them a lot of the index is worthless and add to that would be bloody boring.
    I’ve been on here since the old days of just 5p media win and now its a million times better, it’s just getting bigger and better.

• Very interesting @Londoner . I joined around six weeks after you. With the new direction of FI being magnified since the beginning of the season, you may or may not have seen some posts of mine regarding the short term flipping we are seeing?
    I don’t actually believe ipd flipping is sustainable at its current level and I think it will settle down before long. If not, I don’t like to think it but I’d probably be off. I’m not intending to flip players with little underlying value, well ahead of their rationale value just hoping somebody is later to the party than I am.
    I think if FI wanted this type of trading exclusively we wouldn’t have seen the much increased spreads in recent days.

• interesting, but I think you are wrong, they have just introduced (and spent a lot of time and effort) on a new matrix so are surely happy to increase Performance buzz when the time comes

• @Londoner Great article giving an insight on how FI has evolved over the last 12 months.

I have only been on here since March and the changes in how investors trade to make profit seem to change from month to month.

I am really not sure how the current trend of chasing IPD's with same day flips can be either profitable or sustainable. Of course you can get lucky with a few trades but ultimately you will get burned and end up losing money.

I am also not convinced that FI will continue to offer the incentive of deposit bonuses because as the platform grows, the need to offer investors a bonus decreases as the funds are already deposited within the platform and the current trend of quick flips must mean that FI are making more profits than ever.

There are still massive opportunities to be made but it feels to me that it will become increasingly difficult to maintain current levels of profit due to the evolving and saturated market.

In my opinion the best way to make profits over the long term 12-24 months is to pick young quality players that are playing in the leagues that qualify for MB/PB and sit on them and trust your judgement. This should keep your commission costs to a minimum and assuming you have picked the right players should lead to capital appreciation and increasing dividends,

It is also the least stressful way to trade and even when players are in the red if the reasons still exist that made you buy the players in the first place then just hold and sit back. The only new money I will now be putting in is if I see a young player breaking through that has a big future.

Its very simplistic I know but its worked well so far and as I stated earlier I will not get involved in quick flips which is the current trend. I would be interested in hearing from traders who are operating that way and its profitable for them.

Good luck to all

• @Londoner

Thanks for that.

It's always great to hear trader stories.

• @Timothee-Atouba said in First Anniversary on FI!:

Very interesting @Londoner . I joined around six weeks after you. With the new direction of FI being magnified since the beginning of the season, you may or may not have seen some posts of mine regarding the short term flipping we are seeing?
    I don’t actually believe ipd flipping is sustainable at its current level and I think it will settle down before long. If not, I don’t like to think it but I’d probably be off. I’m not intending to flip players with little underlying value, well ahead of their rationale value just hoping somebody is later to the party than I am.
    I think if FI wanted this type of trading exclusively we wouldn’t have seen the much increased spreads in recent days.

Yes, I've read your A Red Lining Market? thread and I'm in agreement. They market FI as a Football Stock Market but IPDs are the complete opposite of that concept. I'm not convinced the two concepts can work. I'll hang around and wait and see.

• @Tom77 said in First Anniversary on FI!:

The product 100% needed ipd’s , without them a lot of the index is worthless and add to that would be bloody boring.
    I’ve been on here since the old days of just 5p media win and now its a million times better, it’s just getting bigger and better.

Ok. I can't see how a platform promoting a long-term strategy and short-term (IPDs) can work. Do you mind telling your story? It'll be interesting.

• @Londoner said in First Anniversary on FI!:

@Tom77 said in First Anniversary on FI!:

The product 100% needed ipd’s , without them a lot of the index is worthless and add to that would be bloody boring.

Ok. I can't see how a platform promoting a long-term strategy and short-term (IPDs) can work. Do you mind telling your story? It'll be interesting.

i see myself as a long term trader but a small % of my port is made up of players that are (or were) relatively cheap and likely to benefit from traders inflating the price buying into them based on the likelihood of them performing well as an IPD generator.
    In some cases you can hold onto these players for a few months even before getting rid especially if you buy them in the pre season when their price has bottomed out due to no matches being played.
    e.g Luis Muriel

0_1568039451290_upload-edb71ca9-9bea-4b09-b732-93afd291b198

you can do this to a lesser extent with players not likely to have featured in PB matches during this international break, getting them when the price has bottomed out and selling to market on the morning of the match having held them for 9 or 10 days (if you pick the right players its an easy way to make a 10% profit.

for example, Jack Grealish is £2.02 at the moment having dropped from £2.22, he was always going to drop over these last couple of weeks, but he is going to be featuring in a Monday night match in 7 days at home against West Ham with only Torino v Lecce providing competition that night for PB.

i suspect between now and next monday his price will rise by between 5%/10% due to traders looking for that monday night buzz and his name immediately jumping out at them.

As i say this forms only a small % of my trading strategy and tend to stay away from in play trading or buying a player with a specific match in mind, i mainly focus on getting players that will hopefully grow over a sustained period of time as well a few of the guaranteed PB/MB earners but its always worth trying to take advantage of the psychology of others and this is a nice little earner.

• @Londoner said in First Anniversary on FI!:

@Tom77 said in First Anniversary on FI!:

Joined feb 2017.

The platform only had a 5p payout for top media win.
    There were only 200 players
    The bottom player got relegated to the squad every friday, you basically lost all your shares.
    I joined right after a transfer window so I paid high prices for a few players and got burned straight away.
    Picked myself up and bought some better players - remember you could only win 5p to media. European players were useless, very heavy prem biased.
    IPO’S were 2 a day on a friday - I did okay on these, I did buy mbappe for £1.80 or something and sold a few months later ( yes, I sold.....mistake)
    PB was introduced around the Autumn I think and the squad was opened up, so 100’s of players were released at once.
    There was a lot of talk about the index becoming penny stocks and players crashing so it was very uncertain as to how things would go.
    I missed the boat on getting on all the PB players because I was in ‘MB’ mode so transfer’s and MB were my best attribute.
    I slowly came round to the PB side of things and some decent ones at the time but then while I was concentrating on MB/PB the whole youth trend started so I missed all the big rises especially Sancho!
    The trend carried on although the World Cup halted it a bit so I made some money on World Cup players, I was big on Pogba and Kane at the time.
    October 2018 ish was when ipd’s were introduced - lots of negativity towards them but if you knew how to work out commision and sell to market they could make you decent money - just as much as MB trickling in from the likes of Pogba.
    So Jan 2019 -try Jan, things just started revving up, you couldn’t really lose and the talk of a share split was round the corner, by this time I was very well versed in all aspects of trading so I was doing well very.
    Share split - another decent rise.
    Introduction of new IPD payouts - this gave me an exit strategy for my big players, sancho/sterling/salah/kane all bit the dust, I went in on ipd players and transfer targets for the summer - this was my best trading to date.
    Here we are now, I’m prepping for euro2020 - most of my players all play in a european competition apart from the odd non euro player.
    Ipd’s have made trading much more enjoyable but you have to know how to trade properly. I’m sure a PB increase is round the corner also and I may dip into some higher priced players at some point.
    The market is growing very fast compared to what it was like 18 months ago.
    I personally think people are getting a bit spoilt and want instant big money.

I’m about 200% green but my first year was terrible - in the red for most of it, constant instant selling and missing the boat/fomo.

You can have short term and long term trading for sure especially if you are bang on with knowing all the cycles..

• @Tom77 Many thanks for your story, Tom. The main thing is that you hung on after losing so much and learnt your lessons. I bet you're happy you didn't leave the platform as some have after getting burnt.

• @Advinculas-Index Good points. As I mentioned in my story, I have to adjust my long-term strategy along with the changing Index. I bought Vardy yesterday for IPDs. I picked him because, unlike many IPDs, his price has actually grown over the last year.

0_1568121265439_upload-b0b7b8df-30cd-40f0-b943-16ca2fc50920

Looks like your connection to Football Index Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.