The rise & fall of Paul Pogba

• @Dan-w said in The rise & fall of Paul Pogba:

Rule number 1 I got told on the index around 9 months ago. "Never sell a pogba" it has served me well and still continue to hold!! Even if he moves in January or next summer he will be media king again for weeks on end. Hazard hasn't dropped as much as many predicted, even coming back from pre season a lil tubby!! No reason he cant rocket again...( endless rocket emojis))👍

Exactly.

He will win some PB - so definitely dividends there.

As for MB, I've said before - I can't see Man U's overall results improving, so OGS will be under pressure and the media will happily make up stories that Pogba is stirring it up. Then there's potentially a new manager coming in later in the year - again, will Pogba get on with him?

On top of that he's going to be a star at Euro 2020.

At the price he is now, he's a no brainer (I got him at £5, so I'm not budging my shares at all. Especially as I've had 28% dividend return alone since I bought him in December).

• @Antierror back down... 6.56

I was ready to top up at 6.82... Lucky I missed this week's expenses run so didn't have money to put in. Il prob get another 300 shares next Friday if he's not risen too much.

That roi of 35% last year... With his price going down even if he wins half as much as last year its still a great dividend return.

• @Vespasian32 saw a screenshot of someone IS'ing 300 Pogba's earlier. The spread is currently 50p. I am not sure what those people are thinking

I don't think he will stabilse anytime before this weekend.

• if he was anywhere near his instant sell price I’d be literally increasing my stake in him by 500 percent

• @Moukoko said in The rise & fall of Paul Pogba:

@Dan-The-Man true, but a lot of people spouting that he is worth less value at Real is something that isn't really true. For me, Pogba at real Madrid has no chance of losing his mb king status by playing away from the prem.

Well my friend, we have quite differing views on that.

When Pogba leaves United, of course he'll still have some stories written about him but nowhere near the numbers he gets now.

What you're not realising, is that it's the Manchester United/Premiership machine that helps those stories along. If Pogba leaves, the papers will soon latch on to someone else. Even if he doesn't leave, chances are, they will get sick of writing about him. That's just the natural progression of things. They'll find someone else. Maybe it's Dan James, maybe it's Slabhead, maybe it's someone new.

• @Dan-The-Man Partly true - but why do the media love writing about Rooney, Ronaldo, Ibrahimovic? Because they are all high profile characters who previously played at Man Utd. With possibly the exception of Ronaldo if you think any of them would be written about as much as they are if they hadn't played for Man United previously then I believe you're mistaken.
    So whilst I believe there will be a drop in media I also thing its wrong to claim how big that drop will be given the media have an obsession with ex Man Utd players as well as current ones.

• @janner73 said in The rise & fall of Paul Pogba:

@Dan-The-Man Partly true - but why do the media love writing about Rooney, Ronaldo, Ibrahimovic? Because they are all high profile characters who previously played at Man Utd. With possibly the exception of Ronaldo if you think any of them would be written about as much as they are if they hadn't played for Man United previously then I believe you're mistaken.
    So whilst I believe there will be a drop in media I also thing its wrong to claim how big that drop will be given the media have an obsession with ex Man Utd players as well as current ones.

Man Utd build their fame levels and they dine out on that for years to come... sure.

Of the players you just mentioned... how frequently do they win MB compared with Pogba?

I mean... even Ronaldo... the true king of the media in world football, isn't even close to Pogba in terms of MB. The British media, focus on what's happening here.

Also... I think it's pretty laughable to even compare Rooney, Zlatan and Ronaldo to Pogba... Rooney is a Englands all time top scorer, Ronaldo is arguably the 2nd greatest player in history and Zlatan has the greatest highlight reel of any player, having played at the biggest teams in 7 countries and banged in 45 out of 50 at LA Galaxy at the ripe old age of 37.

• @Dan-The-Man Well as Ibrahimovic and Rooney aren't in the top 200 and eligble for MB that's a loaded question :) But plenty of people have bought them ready for when MB opens up.

I've agreed there will be a drop but I think the size of that drop gets exaggerated. At his price right now his dividend yield last season would have been close to 40%. Half that yield and that's still 20% - there's hardly another player on the index that returns a 20% yield per year.

I also did say with the possible exclusion of Ronaldo. But Pogba is a World Cup winning character the media love. For a more recent example Lukaku isn't doing too bad for an ex Man U player - and before you say it was due to racism do you think if he was previously at any club other than Utd he would have been winning MB?

• @Dan-The-Man Anyway I don't wanna get in another Pogba debate as they bore me. I agree his MB will drop but not to some of the exaggerated levels on this forum and he will still have a higher dividend yield than 99% of the index. End of the day individuals make their own decision on whether to hold or not.

@Dan-The-Man Well as Ibrahimovic and Rooney aren't in the top 200 and eligble for MB that's a loaded question :) But plenty of people have bought them ready for when MB opens up.

I've agreed there will be a drop but I think the size of that drop gets exaggerated. At his price right now his dividend yield last season would have been close to 40%. Half that yield and that's still 20% - there's hardly another player on the index that returns a 20% yield per year.

I also did say with the possible exclusion of Ronaldo. But Pogba is a World Cup winning character the media love. For a more recent example Lukaku isn't doing too bad for an ex Man U player - and before you say it was due to racism do you think if he was previously at any club other than Utd he would have been winning MB?

Lukaku is worth monitoring but I'd say it has more to do with the way he was held back at United than anything else. A top player, getting benched for a kid by a manager, trying to reproduce his glory days.

As for Pogba's yield... there's a point of diminishing returns you aren't factoring in.

You're basing his yield by taking his price from 12 months ago... then calculating what he earned in dividends over the that 12 month period.... but his price has dramatically changed and therefore his yield going forward is likely to be significantly lower. He'd need to earn more than double the MB to pick up the same yield and given that you yourself think he's going to earn less... seems unlikely.

• @Dan-The-Man said in The rise & fall of Paul Pogba:

You're basing his yield by taking his price from 12 months ago... then calculating what he earned in dividends over the that 12 month period.... but his price has dramatically changed and therefore his yield going forward is likely to be significantly lower. He'd need to earn more than double the MB to pick up the same yield and given that you yourself think he's going to earn less... seems unlikely.

No im taking his price today - £6.56 and his dividend return last season - £2.50. Which is almost a 40% yield at TODAY's price not 12 month ago price.

• @janner73

Fair enough.

Is that £2.50 at todays PB/MB rates? Or last years PB/MB rates?

• @Dan-The-Man At current MB/PB rates.

• @janner73

Interesting.

Well look... I'll say the same thing I've said about Pogba since I sold him. There's money to be made all over FI and for me, there's far safer bets than Pogba but best of luck. I'm sure the decline in price won't last forever.

• @Dan-The-Man Completely fair enough - everyone has to trade their way. I believe over time his dividend yield will do the talking - and if it doesn't then I'm wrong. I'm diverse enough that it wouldn't be the end of the world.

• @janner73

The decline has made him look much tastier.

He's still too expensive though really. I mean... to make divs worth anything, you need around 1000 futures, and dropping £6500 on any one player seems like a meaty bet. Particular if the risk is that he's going to keep dropping in price and he has to make 13p to be profitable.

• @Dan-The-Man I think he'll go lower yet. There's been a little bounce earlier but I can see him going to around £6.30 - I think any lower than that the big boys will be ready to pounce. They'll just be waiting for the bottom.

• @Dan-The-Man I wouldn't say you need 1,000 shares for divs to be "worth anything". I have 666 Pogba's (nothing sinister, i just had 222 before the SS) and have been paid out £954 in dividends on him this year so far. Even if i had half of those shares, the £477 wouldn't be worthless by a long shot.

Even a player like Griezmann, who i have a much smaller holding in (300 shares) has seen me paid £96 of free money at a yield of around 17%. That's far from worthless - i think it's pretty amazing actually.

@Dan-The-Man I think he'll go lower yet. There's been a little bounce earlier but I can see him going to around £6.30 - I think any lower than that the big boys will be ready to pounce. They'll just be waiting for the bottom.

Yes because then he starts to look decent value again.
    No one is buying at £8 though.

This is the point non Pogba holders keep bringing up, the egotistical maniac keeps pumping him up to £8-9, no one in their right mind is doing that.

Near £6 looks decent.

• @Wotabeast

I hear ya... let me correct that to mean... anything that would make me feel chuffed about the win.

Sat in a bar with the boys, a goal goes in... "that's a £10er won", just seems a little better than "That's £4.77 won".

Looks like your connection to Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.