The forum is PB, MB, IPD obsessed, but are the general public?

• Many assessments of players and their prices discussed on this forum are driven by dividend potential. But do the general public and therefore the majority of FI investors really pay much attention to this, or literally just see the above as a bonus? Do they even fully understand it?

I'm picturing Fred The Red sat in his armchair, sees an FI advert, pumps in his no risk introductory offer without any thought (or even knowledge) of the div situation.

If the majority don't consider divs when making a purchase, surely that's a good thing for those who do...

• Banned

I would say most don't at the start but as time goes on they do more and more.
    So when we get an influx of new players, that is the time when cheap players drive the market and then money moves back onto div players as that influx start to understand if more. I think this creates a lot of the cycles that we see.

• Dividends & the prospect of winning them now or in the future is the basis of a players price & whilst most ppl probably don't fully understand the full intricacies of the scoring matrix it does follow common sense that players who are great defenders or creative goalscorers should be the higher priced ones. The fact these same players win dividends maybe incidental at least initially but it doesn't take too much of a leap of intellect to be able to recognise the connection & as they gain experience or do further research it hopefully makes sense that the more successful investors tailor their portfolios around the scoring matrix.

Over the last couple of years it was possible to make money buying literally any player as the platform grew at such astonishing rates but as it starts to mature investing in the right players at the right time/price will become increasingly important.

• @MrWh1te that was definitely the case with me. I just couldn't understand why people would pay top prices.

Some people no doubt join up understanding markets and dividends but I suspect the overwhelming majority will be like me and just be bored with accas everyday and just buy up loads of cheap players who theyve heard have got potential and wait for their value to increase.

I joined in Feb and I believe that was during a surge in numbers so I was part of a wave that did the same thing weve seen lately. Some will adapt, some will stay the same

• @MickTurbo said in The forum is PB, MB, IPD obsessed, but are the general public?:

Some will adapt, some will stay the same

Bang on. People have said on the forum time after time something a kin to "there are multiple ways on FI to make money" and Mick's closing phrase there is absolutely correct.

As new users join, hopefully they start small, and think "I'm not using my £50 to buy 7 Neymars when I can buy 50 Carrascos". Then next month this same user pumps another £50 in. And so on and so forth until he/she thinks "Right, I've learned the ropes and I've got £500 I can afford to lose out of my savings. KDB has been smashing the IPDs and the PBs. I'm having 100 of him".

Some, however, won't ever reach that point of confidence OR won't ever have £500 they are willing to gamble in one swoop, so will stick to the lower CapApp end of the market.

Lets be real, we all preach diversification so nothing wrong with a mix of strategies. We also preach "start small until you learn how FI works". These cycles will pretty much always been in play imho.

• @WKPlanet

My guess is that most people stick a small amount of money on and when doing that, dividends are laughable.

• I understand that the need of MB to drove the market But for me, I look to make far more through CAP than from PB or IPD. I've only just cleared £150 in dividends, which tbh on my investment isnt a bad return. But I'm 40% up through buying younger players that have risen such as Odegaard and Abraham. I sold both of those too soon really, which was a learning curve,

I hold a few higher price players that have returned MB for me (had the trio earlier this week) but I don't think looking at the bottom / younger end of the market can be written off

• But surely the only reason you get cap app is because people are buying, thus driving the price up, because they are expecting dividends in the future. The way I see either way you are looking for player who are going to earn divs either now or in the future because dividends are only thing that gives the shares any value.

• @Wynnston said in The forum is PB, MB, IPD obsessed, but are the general public?:

But surely the only reason you get cap app is because people are buying, thus driving the price up, because they are expecting dividends in the future. The way I see either way you are looking for player who are going to earn divs either now or in the future because dividends are only thing that gives the shares any value.

👏👏👏👏👏👏👏

• So far i got 10p dividends for buying 5x paco lol, I was just testing FI and had no real idea how it worked.

But I bought 85 x frankie de Jong today as I thought his value was low for a 70 million Barcelona signing and euro 2020 player if he's fit.

I think I get like 3.40 dividends for him today? I know I get 1.70 for sure.

Anyway, I'm going to buy players just as I normally would since joining 2 weeks ago but for a little higher stakes .... if they get dividends great if they don't oh well, it's just a bonus for me. Most of the players I bought are not even eligible this season.
    What I am looking for really is players whose value I think will grow.

I think FDJ will be 3 pound a future by next summer.

One thing is for sure though, just looking at his price today after 1 goal + 1 assist so far when it comes time to sell futures I am going to do it after a player performs well in a match and people who buy just for dividends drive the price up.