Are centre halves finished

• There are 5 centre halves in the top 200.

VVD, de ligt, maguire, laporte, joe gomez.

With the exception of laporte who dipped hugely on a bad injury and has since started to recover as injured players always do, a quick look at the graphs of the other 4 shows that they have tanked of late.

Wing backs have undoubtedly benefitted from the PB changes but has the change been so significant that even VVD cannot compete for PB and as such are the prices of even the very best centre halves in terminal decline?

• I’d agree ... Having held three of them I’ve noticed a 10-20% drop over the last 2 months on each so I’d agree that currently unless they score and dominate at the back they are not financially wise moves. Hard to work out any position thats strong atm though... leaking funds from all players... working harder and harder on strategy.

• @MickTurbo You have answered your statement basically yes.

There is no need for someone like Ramos who may have been pushed into top 200 previously for Mb now can get the odd win as it is open. As well as you said a current trend of football is what conte brought to Chelsea, we are now getting wingbacks that can basically play as a wingers therefore don’t stand a chance in these trends. So only the big boys can keep that high of a price especially with young forwards/ midfield youth players that everyone hopes for the next big prospect forever driving the price of top 200 up on the platform as it constantly has CA; eventually I believe that we will see even less complete minded centre half’s because of how fullbacks are now being deployed and the growth in the lower sector of the market particularly with young attackers. I don’t see the top defenders holding up that long as they don’t win much pb or enough Mb for that price to be justifiable.

• I would say yeah pretty much. Its kind of like the PB matrix changes had a massive effect on wing backs, with emphasis on dribbling and crossing, which have had a profound effect on their scores. Where as the enhancements that were meant to benefit center backs such as aerial duels won etc have barely had any effect on them. Or that's how it seems to me anyway.

• It appears, yes. I don't normally buy defenders but VVD was a good hold during the summer, with the NL boosting him. I though he would be good for PB as well as CA, but that hasn't been the case during this season. I'll hold during this international break and see if he picks up.

0_1570404200848_upload-c274917e-4349-4b0f-942a-e499a403485e

• @Londoner I've got 400 at -35p. I dunno how you do that tho where you put one player in a post lol. Same here mate, I'll keep hold of VVD because hes still capable of huge performances and the occasional goal. Also media relating to the balon d'or in the not too distant future. hes probably the only centre half on the index at >£1 that I'd even consider now though

• I currently hold akanji, elvedi, tah and skriniar and they haven’t once challenged for PB between them. Beginning to think my money would be better elsewhere.

• Yes. Finished. Until you can get a really good one for 50p.

• @Dj Elevdi won PB the first week of the season.
    Just had a quick look through my data and I believe Full Backs have won PB 24 times, centre halves 12 times and Goalkeepers 3 times so far this season.
    So I don't believe they're finished but full backs are definitely more valuable.

• @janner73 said in Are centre halves finished:

@Dj Elevdi won PB the first week of the season.
    Just had a quick look through my data and I believe Full Backs have won PB 24 times, centre halves 12 times and Goalkeepers 3 times so far this season.
    So I don't believe they're finished but full backs are definitely more valuable.

So we should be expecting, if VVD is currently £2.50ish then TAA is worth at least £5?

Ahhhh bollocks, I don't know why I'm trying a subtle pump! My port has probably sold now haha what an idiot!!

• @ScouseSte Haha! Well theyre been slowly heading in opposite directions in price the past few weeks!

• @janner73 haha some logic finally creeping into fi??? No way 😁

• @Timothee-Atouba said in Are centre halves finished:

Yes. Finished. Until you can get a really good one for 50p.

Or until FI tweak the PB matrix again, it used to be GK's were deemed useless for PB now a couple have won, so it seems the changes had a positive effect for them. If FB/WB's scores are deemed too generous, which currently seems to be the case, there's nothing to stop FI making subtle changes to reduce their chances slightly.

Looks like your connection to Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.