Is there an advantage to having lots of money in the index nowadays?

• As above. Do you think having a big portfolio is an advantage because about a year ago I could see that it could be but with all the flipping I can't imagine it is.

• As long as your profit is more than the bank interest you would get

• I'm on overdraft and gaining every month 500 pounds on a 8k portofolio. September was extreme so feeling the aftermath this month.

So yes it is worth it.

• @Tom7471 there's a lot of uncertainty in the market at the moment, not sure it's just purely 'flipping'.

Long term - yes still worth having a big portfolio for the returns. The announcement will provide a boost. One way or another.

• @Tom7471 if you have to ask yourself this question then why are you even here? Every time I look on this forum currently it's one moaning negative post after another.

Are people trying to sabotage this or are you just really scared of losing your money? I just don't understand why people need constant reassurance of why FI is better than having your money in an account earning 2p a year or whatever.

If nothing else FI gives me a buzz every single day looking for the next opportunity for profit. If you want to earn a constant level of interest get an isa but can we stop recycling the same boring questions please? 👍

• If you are having fun and can afford it, stay.
    If you aren't having fun or can't afford it, fuck off and do something better with your life.

Life is too short.

• @Stevo agree. I think his post was more looking for reassurance than negative, but I agree that there is a lot of negativity around which is not good for the platform.

Fingers crossed the announcement provides some positivity.

• I have a reasonable to large sized portfolio and the mental process was:

1: Identify FI as a place to make more money than having it in the bank/premium bonds or that nice email the man from Nigeria sent me about the terrible circumstances with his Uncle and the gold bullion.
    2: Invest in MB/PB winners
    3: Hope Dividends remain positive whilst looking for Cap App across the board
    4: Spot the odd youngster (no not in that way you dirty boy)
    5: Remove cash play with profit
    6: Recent port decline makes you go down to the building at the end of the garden with your trusty shotgun only to find wife has removed firing pin due to life insurance paperwork not in order.
    7: Watch Portugal vs Luxembourg because FI has fucked with your ability to support England in favour of Ronaldo dividend chasing
    8: Realise this was a blessing

There...the mindset of a large investor.

• I love it, its really that simple, making money from my hobby.. its win win for me! Those that adapt quickest to change will always prosper, my biggest decision is not whether to stay or leave, its who do I buy next?! follow the players in your portfolio, know why you have them, and enjoy the ride would be my advice..

• @Stevo trust me it's not a negative post. I think fi is one of the best business ideas since Betfair and look how that turned out. I am very excited for it and can't wait for all the new changes. I think it could be massive.

• @Wolfie said in Is there an advantage to having lots of money in the index nowadays?:

As long as your profit is more than the bank interest you would get

Don’t agree with that at all. The risk is multiple times as big.

• bernardo paid me £50 divs yesterday and i didnt even realise he was playing, and he rose 5p. Also digne should have been one of mine but alas, i didnt expect much from Everton so i left him out

• @Tom7471 well I apologise I picked your post in particular to respond to with this and having read again as @Metropolis says i think you are probably looking for reassurance before lumping loads of money into FI.

It just gets frustrating reading similar themes on here when in reality 3 months ago the market was booming and suddenly there are constant suggestions the platform is falling apart or something.

It may be easy for me to say as I joined the platform pretty early but for me this is the greatest thing I've ever come across and I don't see my thoughts on this changing any time soon.

• @Stevo said in Is there an advantage to having lots of money in the index nowadays?:

g.

It may be easy for me to say as I joined the platform pretty early but for me this is the greatest thing I've ever come across and I don't see my thoughts on this changing any time soon.

You've obviously not discovered chocolate Hob Nobs yet then

• With a dividend increase announcement upcoming this is the best time for big money portfolios who can hold large volume of shares in proven dividend winners.

But there will be a knock on ripple effect as the whole market grows, so improves value lower down over time so even a small port can thrive.

Worst time for large port value is sustained dips, as money is made at the cheaper end on ipd flipping, for which you don't need a lot of money.

• its not about the size, its what you do with it ! (so the mrs tells me)

• @Advinculas-Index said in Is there an advantage to having lots of money in the index nowadays?:

@Stevo said in Is there an advantage to having lots of money in the index nowadays?:

g.

You've obviously not discovered chocolate Hob Nobs yet then

Lol. Imagine he's more of an original hob nob type of guy?

@stevo Glad to see a fellow trader still in love with the platform. I guess people will come and go over time. Fair enough I guess.

Just out of interest, which aspect of FI do you enjoy most? Reason I ask is that I feel there's much more longevity in the PB system and seems MB is causing the frustration and the exits. People seem to get fed up chasing media stories which I can understand, but PB is always evolving, and opportunities galore. Every day is a new start.

• @Vespasian32 True, but this is somewhat assuming FI simply increase dividends. Something tells me there will be more to it than that and a twist to the 'policy review' which would require a rethink.

Just saying it may be dangerous to go all in on proven dividend returners based on the current system.

• When the fun stops, stop.

After 2 years of really enjoying the Index, I stopped having fun in August and September, so downsized my portfolio from circa £25k to circa £10k.

I had intended to sell up completely, but with less invested and fewer players in my portfolio to track, the fun is returning.

• @Tom7471 short answer, no. Unless they really make a difference in the dividend announcement, all premium players will steadily lose value over time. The flip trend will stay also as a result. Hopefully they want people like me to keep investing? I haven’t for a fair number of weeks now.