Do many of you guys instant sell your players?

• Not something I like doing but I have been more inclined to recently.

• Only in extremis; desperate for the cash, fear a major (far larger than the current spread) fall may be quicker than market sell or players with a minimum spread.

IS should be seen as a last resort, especially for the higher priced players (with far larger spreads) as it almost guarantees losing money that would otherwise be back in your account with a market sell. FI is best suited to a longer game with planned buys & sells unless you are one of the very first to react to bad news the IS option is more often than not the wrong (losing cash needlessly) decision.

Plenty admitted to ISing Neymar on news of his injury seemingly forgetting the large spread, that he will win dividends whether or not he plays & he is actually likely to be higher in price than now when he gets fit again. I wouldn't want to criticise anyone's strategy but I struggle to see any valid reasons to IS Neymar unless he's been declared dead! It's just like throwing money away in the street without the benefit of benevolent giving - utter madness.

• Only low value players with a small spread, I dont do it very often though

• Nah, not for me.

• I try not to, but if I need to free up cash and I have a player with a smallish spread who's not shifting on MS, then I do.

• Think i've done it three times in 6 months and that is with low priced players with 1/2p spreads. Don't know why anyone would do it with top end players but kinda glad they do as they're providing FI with the profits while i'm getting more dividends than paying commission.

• @NewUser159387 I got rid of Neymar. Probably financially a bad decision but I run a business to pay the bills. I do FI for fun. I wasn't enjoying holding Neymar anymore. After IS I'm still in profit if you count the very important dividends. The announcement at the end of the month I now have no care what it is. I've completely derisked apart for Pogba and any IS loss on him is covered and some change from my bonus payout.
    I'm at peace with FI and hopefully can start to enjoy it again. I have cash waiting to take advantage of any opportunities that present themselves. Soon I'll be gambling with someone else's money.

• @LittleFish said in Do many of you guys instant sell your players?:

Probably financially a bad decision

Yes it almost definitely was but as you say still worth it in your case for the peace of mind so a good decision for you. However the dividend announcement will almost certainly be anywhere from mildly to extremely positive for players like Neymar & almost certainly NOT negative for their price, so in this instance market sell was almost certainly the method that would have resulted in most cash being returned to your account. But as you say a profit is a profit & you also helped keep FI profitable as well, so as a shareholder I certainly thank you for that generous effort.

• @NewUser159387 you're a punter my friend. As soon as you forget that you are in trouble.

• @LittleFish said in Do many of you guys instant sell your players?:

you're a punter my friend.

Yes but also an equity shareholder (from their fund raising on Seedrs) so it's win win for me!

• @NewUser159387 my apologies. But it wasn't my money. I was in profit with the Neymar trade so someone else's. And thanks for the free £600 I'll get on the 19th. Enjoy the game tonight.👍🏻

• Instant sell is an amazing tool. Easy example... If you are watching a live game and can react to bad news first I. E. A broken leg... You can IS and a a day later buy back and make a great profit (or simply not buy back and you've gotten out before the plummet)

A more typical reason I will use it; if I spot a short term trade, let's say a 40p player with 1p spread, (maybe he's the best striker on a single game night two weeks from now and I want to flip him)... I don't need to try and time my exit as the spread isn't a concern. I can buy him and literally wait till he maxes out and starts to drop. Then I would IS (once the drop starts you could get stuck in a market sell queue while the price continues to plummet)

If however, I'm looking to sell a player with a larger spread... Let's say... Buying a £7.43 player in anticipation for a quick rise with the impending div announcement, with a view to flipping him... Then I'd constantly be trying to gauge the buys and sells in the ticker... If I see the buys slow down I'd think about trying to market sell... I can't afford to wait for the ceiling as I'll lose too much in IS... So i chicken out a bit earlier, but sell to market.

Hope that makes sense.

• I have only ever instant sold! Looks like I am in a clear minority!!

Liquidity is the key for me to move in and out with flexibility as needed, if I think I need a player in portfolio, will look to manouvere trades via instant sell without hesitation incl. taking losses....

Recently got heavily into Ricardo Perreria as see plenty of upsides and instant sold on Pogba, Kane and Harvey Barnes...

• I've ISed 99.9% of the 14 months I've been on the Index. I've only market sold some Pogba when he was booming and I needed the money to get on someone else. Most of the time when I IS my listing gets cancelled.

I don't see the abhorrence with IS. When you market sell you still have the 2% to pay plus the smaller spread, so it's all relative to me.

• @Londoner You’ve instant sold 99.9% of all your trades?! Why throw money away?

• @Jumbosausage said in Do many of you guys instant sell your players?:

@Londoner You’ve instant sold 99.9% of all your trades?! Why throw money away?

Never knock those who IS - they are paying for the hopefully upcoming dividend increase :)

• @Londoner said in Do many of you guys instant sell your players?:

L

I don't see the abhorrence with IS. When you market sell you still have the 2% to pay plus the smaller spread, so it's all relative to me.

There is zero spread when you market sell. You are only paying 2% of the price that you sell at, whereas with IS you are paying 2% commission PLUS a spread of at least another 2%, probably a lot more.

• @Londoner you pay 2% commission for every sell.... IS or via queue. If you market sell you get the buy price... With IS you also pay the spread, which is typically an additional 3%+

• @Coleyscrooge said in Do many of you guys instant sell your players?:

@Londoner said in Do many of you guys instant sell your players?:

L

There is zero spread when you market sell. You are only paying 2% of the price that you sell at, whereas with IS you are paying 2% commission PLUS a spread of at least another 2%, probably a lot more.

@Vespasian32 What people don't realise is that there is a SPREAD when you sell to market. When you set a reserve price, it can't be equal to the buy price. It has to be at least 1p less.

• So don’t set a reserve then! I’ve never set a reserve price in any sale, I list at whatever the market price is. There is zero spread on a market sale. Yes the market price may change before a sale goes through but that’s a risk I’m happy to take rather than knowingly take a large hit by instant selling.