Do you have to have any football knowledge to make money on the index?

• I was just wondering because my football knowledge is probably well below average on here and wonder if it is effecting my profits?

• If you had joined at the beginning of the year you could probably just metaphorically chuck darts at players to choose them and do alright. However some football knowledge will obviously be beneficial but even so theres plenty of tools to help even if your not a big football fan with stats providers like IndexGain.

• I think football knowledge definitely helps a lot. I'm not sure if i'd like my chances on a cricket index for example as I wouldn't know the nuances of different leagues, clubs, player positions and how they all relate etc.

• Nah... Probably adds bias that doesn't help in terms of the Index. A stats analyst treating the players as shares/companies will have more advantage. Replace the players names with types of fruit and you could still make money tomorrow just by watching the ticker and seeing patterns. Or looking at which piece of fruit gets good pb/mb and what fixtures or events are upcoming.

• I agree with what people have said, there are tools that completely take the need for extensive knowledge out of the game, but being a proper fan helps you to spot a player early. My biggest successes on here have been players I've seen something in straight away.

Odegaard biggest of all though admittedly there was a lot of hype around him but there are plenty of hyped players who flop. Another one that comes to mind immediately is wan-bissaka, I liked him immediately from watching his debut although I wasnt on here back then but still bought him immediately when I signed up.

Other than that there are tools but probably the biggest risk there is on here is the youths, that's where proper knowledge helps

• @Tom7471 I rekon If me and my boy picked 10 players each at the start of the year. Would b a coin toss to see who would be top how things have been last 12 months. Previously was a lot easier and solid for steady growth now it's more about getting on some shit player who got some easy fixtures then flogging them to the next crazy fool for inflated price but hey is What it is. N e way took out a bit this month for family hols cheers lads👍

• Haha where is the family holiday bud?

• @Tom7471 said in Do you have to have any football knowledge to make money on the index?:

I was just wondering because my football knowledge is probably well below average on here and wonder if it is effecting my profits?

funny you ask this; i was talking about this when I was explaining FI to someone the other day. I said if someone had great football knowledge, but wasn't good at trading and another didn't know much about football, but was great at trading, then I'd pick the latter to make more money on the Index (once they'd studied the market etc).

That said, I think it's a big edge having an in depth knowledge of football, especially European football, and watching as much as you can. However, although it's a harder one to pick, I think I'd still choose someone with access to stats, but no live football - over one who watched loads of football but no stats, as the most profitable trader.

Luckily we don't need to pick either or - and there are many ways to play the Index... that's my round-a-bout way of answering your question I guess!

• This is it. My trading knowledge and skills are pretty decent because I have been doing it 15 years but my football knowledge is very much at surface level. I love football and watch a bit but I don't have the depth that many do on here. My mate got me started on here 6 months ago luckily with some good names but now I'm struggling a little with finding good players at good prices but I'm getting there.

• @Tom7471 I have a friend who's knows a lot less about football than me. But his research is great, he's joined forums, does extensive research especially for PB players looking at Opta Stats, and on some paid app (don't know the name) where he can talk to other traders etc etc.

I buy on bias, players I like and support. And also when I spot a young talent. Now I'm adapting.

We've both done amazingly well so far, but he's made a little more profit. Before joining the index, he barely watched football. Right now he's at a 40k+ profit.

Joining the index will also make you watch a lot more football - good for general life fun!

Good luck mate!

• not sure if you use any of the data sites available, but you can make good of those, especially with increased dividends now on offer. There's lots of free databases/tools out there for general football stats now too.

Once you've identified certain market patterns as well, then i'm sure you'd find it very easy to transfer over everything you've learnt trading elsewhere.

You don't necessarily need to watch a minute of football, although that'd probably make it less fun. And of course there's absolutely nothing wrong with just picking some players you like the look of and seeing what happens.

• @CJ0101 said in Do you have to have any football knowledge to make money on the index?:

If you had joined at the beginning of the year you could probably just metaphorically chuck darts at players to choose them and do alright. However some football knowledge will obviously be beneficial but even so theres plenty of tools to help even if your not a big football fan with stats providers like IndexGain.

I tried this but it proved to be a bad decision as it resulted in me being banged up in Winson Green for 6 months with no means of being able to trade on my FI Account, but at least i can access the Forum.
    Next time ill be sure to remember to do it metaphorically

Yours

A Index
    West Wing
    Winson Green Rd, Birmingham B18 4AS

• @Advinculas-Index

Just thought I’d add the metaphorically in case anyone actually did it. Wouldn’t want to get done for inciting violence 😂

• @Tom7471

True story...

I spent the day on here looking at player graphs to spot patterns and published my research in the post below.

As a result of looking at graphs alone... I was successfully able to predict that Fred was at his low point. He was recently 50% up in 4 months.

So... No, you don't need football knowledge... just a day looking at graphs and a decent eye for pattern recognition. (Or luck...)

My bet is a well trained bot could rinse the Index.

https://forums.footballindex.co.uk/topic/9848/dispelling-the-football-index-growth-myth-research-heavy

• @Advinculas-Index

Probably should have put enough money on the player to cover bail with his MB payouts.

• @Dan-The-Man wow I read the forum link you posted Jeeeeesus that shit got real fast...in the aftermath..🤣

• @Doug-s the thing is... Even now, Dan will take credit as if research and graph checking he knew Fred would rise.... When anyone normal would just put two and two together and come out with 4...he wasn't playing and it was summer and he had no transfer spec. Now he is playing... Mb has opened up and he has a single name on the index.

Its simple but he'll wrap it up in waffle and sell it like only him and Einstein are on the wavelength.

Its brilliant and the forum needs more Dan's. I havent enjoyed any threads as much as his.

• The amazing thing is his time lines... Hes a magician. Like Lukaku in the time since that post has won pb, won mb x 3 and had a massive peak like 70p+ when he had the single game week leading into Belgium. Whereas Fred was flat as fuck till recently. So holding fred at that time was a poor trade... Buying in the day before mb opened up would have been a good trade. Buying Lukaku at time of his thread and using the internationals to sell would have been a good trade at the time.

I did both, so maybe I'm biased.

I could write a thread using horrorscope nonsense to predict that fabian ruiz will be £3+...at some point in the next few months i could bump that thread and say 'I told you so (or rather... The planet alignments foretold you so)'

• @Vespasian32 said in Do you have to have any football knowledge to make money on the index?:

@Doug-s the thing is... Even now, Dan will take credit as if research and graph checking he knew Fred would rise.... When anyone normal would just put two and two together and come out with 4...he wasn't playing and it was summer and he had no transfer spec. Now he is playing... Mb has opened up and he has a single name on the index.

Its simple but he'll wrap it up in waffle and sell it like only him and Einstein are on the wavelength.

Its brilliant and the forum needs more Dan's. I havent enjoyed any threads as much as his.

Ya damn right I'll take the credit. Didn't see your post saying "Hey everyone, Fred's at the bottom of his drop."

I market sold out of Fred, 6 weeks later on a 15p per future profit BTW.

0_1571773337882_Screen Shot 2019-10-22 at 20.35.41.png

Hardly the biggest win of my life but over 20% profit in 6 weeks... I'll take that. If Pogba went up £1.20 you'd be doing backflips... He's lost more than 20% since that thread. So it's like being 40% better off than you Pogba worshipers holders.

• @Doug-s

Yeah... Sadly... that's kinda how things go sometimes ha.

It was a fun thread.