The art of not really doing anything....

• In case you didn't know...I'm an FI fraud and here's why.

When I started I did what everyone does. I bought a few players, messed about with amounts and then that was it. Satisfied i could make long term money I then put more and more in.

Then I realised that all i had to do was buy 1500 (or 500 per-share split) and then sit in. Who did I buy? The usual MB/PB top 20 suspects and a few of the clear youngsters that were going to do something positive.

I then sat on the Index putting more money in and buying the "obvious" players"

I've done two big non-standard deals.

• Sold Pogba (see @Ericali for rationale)
    • Bought 9000 Carrasco and then sold them before last transfer window.
    • A cheeky 3000 Ronaldo's because of fixtures.

Nothing else much. The reason why I droning on is because, not only do I like the sound of my own voice but all the players I have have all gone up over time as the Index has.

Moral of the story is you don't have to fiddle with your portfolio to make cash. It's not very exciting but it works. Anyone else follow this method?

• Today i have bought some McTominay for my first foray into flipping £500 so let's see how that goes.

• ive also been guilty of this in my 2 years on here. bought a large diversified portfolio and rose the crest of the wave for 2 years. however, i rationalised in the last few weeks, mainly due to needing money for a project, but also because i think the time has come to play slightly differently. I have gone from 80 players down to 40, and now all my players have defined reasons to hold (mainly the euro's), and also proposed times / reasons to exit. ready for the next trend.

• @Ellisandro

I stuck a fixed amount of cash in to FI and set a rule that I'd give it a year before putting any more in.

As a result, I have to fiddle in order to avoid missing out on opportunities. It's quite annoying though because often I get out of players a tad earlier than planned and therefore miss out on the main benefits of buying them in the first place.

• @Dan-The-Man I've been a bit similar to this and have said that I'll not be depositing anymore but I ended up putting just under a grand in on friday to get on a player I wanted quickly rather than waiting for shares to sell. Still those shares are sat in the queue so I would still have been waiting, but when they do go I'll withdraw in order to balance the books

• I do nothing. Literally nothing. Have not bought or sold anyone for 6 months (other than topping up players with dividend wins.) portfolio approaching 100% profit less than 1 year in.

• @MickTurbo said in The art of not really doing anything....:

@Dan-The-Man I've been a bit similar to this and have said that I'll not be depositing anymore but I ended up putting just under a grand in on friday to get on a player I wanted quickly rather than waiting for shares to sell. Still those shares are sat in the queue so I would still have been waiting, but when they do go I'll withdraw in order to balance the books

Wish I had to be honest mate. I wanted to double my Pulisic futures last week but couldn't really justify selling Rooney to do it. His spike yesterday was a nice bonus but I'm still kicking myself for not doubling down in time.

• @Ellisandro

Expecting similar growth as the share split tho season ?

• @Ellisandro Well that paid off

• @Misto said in The art of not really doing anything....:

@Ellisandro Well that paid off

It did rather!

• I am the same, the less I fiddle, the more I make.

• @Advinculas-Index HAHAHA brilliant 😂

• @Ellisandro said in The art of not really doing anything....:

see Ericali for rationale

It all made sense up until this point

• Yes this pretty much describes me, just with smaller amounts.

It's because of adopting this 'strategy' that I thought about quitting when it seemed to be heading down the IPD and more active involvement. Luckily some of the recent changes seemed to put more emphasis back on MB/PB - although I am still looking to de-risk a little and potentially just play with profit.

My first foray into the market was 15 TAA at 34p each. Currently sitting at 4.72 a future, it's safe to say I regret not purchasing a few (read: A LOT) more.

• @Ellisandro walk a mile in another man's shoes and all that... I'm dabbling in many different strategies in my first year to find what work, what doesn't, how alert i need to be to changes etc

For first time I'm doing the patient approach... Turned my port sensible with the plan of not trading for a while... Just reinvest divs. I'm going into it with the acceptance that it's not as profitable as my previous methods... But is easy money. Atm its surprisingly profitable... I thought I'd bought the likes of Messi, kroos and Co at peak and was just aiming for a decent div yield... But all of them are booming.

• @Vespasian32 I've done a similar strategy. Changed from having predominantly under £1 players to now having most my holds in the big hitters. Have much less time now to commit to FI because of work so was happy to see slow rises but knew with div increase they should see rises. I'm now very much on for my best month and have spent a tiny percentage of the time I used to spend on FI.