Foden’s time to shine

• As a Saints fan, I’m a little worried about the fact our next two games are against City after what happened last Friday. The only positive is that I hold Foden and have a sense that Pep is starting to bring him in the the fold a bit more. Be interested to hear from City fans how they feel he’ll be used for the rest of the season - and by England next summer. Such strong competition for places, but his development will be stunted with a lack of game time!

• No chance he makes the Euro squad for next summer, that’s just wishful thinking

• @Andy Agree. I think he'll get more game time with City between now and December - he'll probably play the CL games now they've almost qualified. But next season will be his breakout year.

• @janner73 yeah I guess next season will be bigger, especially with David Silva stepping aside

• Is it really too logical to expect your best midfield player to get in the squad? Yes!

• @SteveP Yep I see him as Silva's replacement next season - unless Pep goes and buys someone. The Fabian Ruiz links would worry me slightly about Foden's chances next season.

• This guy is 19 years old, has played 39 times for Manchester City. That's far more football than most people his age, all these cries for him to go out on loan are so out of place, he's developing just fine and will be a top top player. Next season he will replace David Silva and get the majority of his minutes, people just need to be patient. It's the same as Greenwood, these guys are so young they don't need to be playing 90 minutes every week, just let them soak everything up in the squad, Pep is putting so much time and effort in to Foden and I guarantee you the end result will be worth it. He will probably end the season with something like 30 appearances which isn't bad at all for a 19 year old. IMO he will be used in a very similar sense to last season, the cups and CL group stages.

• @Andy said in Foden’s time to shine:

No chance he makes the Euro squad for next summer, that’s just wishful thinking

I think there is a fair chance he will feature in an England squad between now and the Euros tbf

• @Advinculas-Index Not too many chances - only the November and March international breaks before the Euros. I guess March might be possible as that will be friendlies and possibly when Southgate looks at giving those who are battling to make the quad a chance.

• @janner73 definitely, think he needs one or two injuries to be getting in the England squad this season. A lot of pundits calling for Grealish in the next one too, which would put him behind another player. Return of Loftus-Cheek too is more competition too

• @ChazFI123 Yeah there's a lot still need their chance to impress - even Maddison hasn't had a cap yet. I think Southgate knows most of his squad for the Euros already - injuries permitting. The midfield is probably where there's the most competition for places now.

• I made a thread analysing what Foden’s chances of playing football were this season earlier in the year.
    Link found here: https://forums.footballindex.co.uk/topic/11591/the-man-city-midfield-and-phil-foden-analysis-what-are-foden-s-chances/1

I still believe most of what I said in my original post here still holds true. Unlikely to get any game time unless injuries occur, or Pep decides to rest KDB/D. Silva as they’re playing weak opposition/already qualified for next round in europe.
    Give it a read and let me know what you think

• @janner73 the Ox coming back to form too, if he stays fit every chance he might make the squad. Shame for Foden he's not a sitting midfielder as that's probably where England are lacking in terms of quality options

• If he gets the media and the public calling for him to be included then southgate will probably include him. I say that as a bit of a pop at southgate but nonetheless, i believe he should be firmly in his thoughts, pending what minutes he gets and how well he does.

I'm not on him at the minute because I felt I had to move with the market but i think he is gonna be brilliant and I will be back on him in good numbers before the new year.

• @Andy thanks for that. So did you ever get on him or still biding you’re time? Sounds like Mick T had him but sold out. Long term hold for me but always nice to see the growth kick in early! I think he’ll by the type on FI that really leaps up with a couple of starts and goals

• @SteveP yeh I've been on and off twice. Ultimately hes a player I will hold long term but theres been more money to be made in other areas of late. I'm in no rush just yet because he is more expensive than players like kroos ruiz and sensi which I cant justify at present no matter how excited I am about foden as a player.

• @SteveP no worries. Didn’t buy in the end, although was really tempted. I just figured that money could be made elsewhere for the time being - no sense in holding him right now considering he isn’t going to win divs and CA looks to have stalled in him for now.
    I’m gonna but into him during next summer - I predict price will fall when it’s confirmed he isn’t in the Euro squad.

• Southgate put CHO in his squad after about 2 league starts. Not really beyond the realms of possibility.

• Pep is starting to give him game time. I'm sure he'll start all League Cup and FA Cup games. Also think Southgate will pick him for the Euros (bench).
    I've bought to Hold. Expecting a steady rise over time his talent is immense. Hopefully next season he's a regular starter but let's see.
    He's going to rise sharply with one big performance. Don't want to miss that rise

• @Rajiv said in Foden’s time to shine:

Pep is starting to give him game time. I'm sure he'll start all League Cup and FA Cup games. Also think Southgate will pick him for the Euros (bench).
    I've bought to Hold. Expecting a steady rise over time his talent is immense. Hopefully next season he's a regular starter but let's see.
    He's going to rise sharply with one big performance. Don't want to miss that rise

Dude I’m all for promoting players you’ve bought, but at least have some common sense or some sort of reasoning behind it. Or some logic at least. “I’m sure he’ll start all league cup and fa cup games”. Based on what evidence? He’s hardly kicked a ball before he started in champs league midweek just gone. Tell me, how many games has he started this season?

I seriously doubt he’ll get into the Euros squad next year. People been using the example of CHO, but he’s clearly in Lampard’s plans to be used this season - I don’t think I can say the same about foden and Pep

This is what I hate about people blindly saying things like this as if it’s just covering up a blatant pump. Call me harsh but this is a serious pet peeve of mine.
    I’ve no doubt he’s going to be a top player and will probs rise in price, but saying things like this just really annoys me!
    Rant over