Losing money hand over fist

• Really disappointed at the moment. Only a week ago, was making a profit of over £200 on a portfolio of £5000. I was happy with this, not here to make massive returns, would be content with 5% per year. Mainly bought loads of young and up and coming young players from Europe, hoping to hold and make profit steadily. This week and day by day, I'm seeing big falls. Have lost over £150 in the last week and over £50 overnight. Maybe I haven't got a clue what I am doing, fairly new on here, but seriously worried that if this carries on, I will shortly be losing money from my deposit.

• @NewUser449629 Money is shifting from the youth players to the proven PB winners. I imagine your portfolio will drop even more once the dividend increases are announced as youth players aren't really any value once the announcement is in place.

• That is a very scary scenario for me then. All my money is in them, bought them hoping to see growth. Put 2 up for sale and nobody is buying. Will this be a long term thing, or do I just need to have patience?

• Also remember that the FI market goes in cycles as well, so at some point money will go back into Non PB youth, but when no body knows. If it makes you feel any better I know how you feel cause a few weeks ago i was in the same position except the exact opposite, where money flowed out of the top PB players and into non PB youth, thankfully for me the new div announcement came just in time and everything is now good. So the moral of the story is diversify, so that you are not over exposed to the changing cycles of the market.

• If you have money in youth players with potential PB, then I don’t see why you’re worried at all. It’s not like you bought the youth players with an intention to flip in 3 months (if you were then I’d be a bit worried for you, as that’s not a sensible strategy).
    Youth players are bought with CA and potential PB in mind, and most likely won’t return anything in less than a year

• @NewUser449629 there has just been a significant dividend increase which will and is promoting growth in the market. But unless a player isca dividend winner then he is unaffected, therefore, and being brutally honest, you may have made an error in putting your money into up and coming players because these dont typically win many dividends, therefore they have been sold off by people to put their money into dividend winners which are en vogue.

However, this is just the current cycle and youth will have its day again so dont panic. Your players are likely to come good. You're in a tough spot because market selling is probably not gonna be an option any time soon and spreads will really hurt you so my advice to you is to sit on your hands, wait, and have faith.

But also my advice to you is to take the lesson that we all give, and that is, have a diverse portfolio. I'll use my portfolio as an example.

On the whole its performing well because I hold loads of very good PB players, but my current frustration is looking at players like Yari Verschaeren, Bukayo Saka and Bryan Gil who are dropping, and in Saka's case, fuckin tanking.

To be clear, and to emphasize my initial point, it's not the red that's frustrating me of itself, but it's the money I have in these 3 that i cant realistically take out without taking a big hit on spreads, that would be working so much harder for me elsewhere.

The fact that they are dropping doesnt of itself particularly bother me because I know my youth players will have their day, as will yours, so just sit tight. If you're wanting a piece of the current trends AND IF YOU CAN AFFORD TO DO SO, then I suggest the only way is with new money because before you start paying spreads you need to work out what you're break-even's are gonna be on new trades and factoring in shifting trends, hope this helps

• post a screenshot of your portfolio and we can probably advise better - the youth trend will come back around but probably 6+ months away

• @Andy .Thanks mate, that's a bit more reassuring. You're correct, I bought them , looking to keep them for at least a year, maybe I just need to stop looking at my portfolio every day.

• What names have you got?

Remember, the bet is for 3 years - so think - what are they going to be worth then, unless you wanted to make an amount, then get out and into something/someone else.

I didn't jump on the youth player trend and kicked myself at the time, as I went with proven players - lucky for me, these players are all rising and I'm looking at nice profit - just need Hazard and Pogba to get their shit together now.

• @NewUser449629
    i think you downvoted Mick by mistake

• @NewUser449629

Your port dropping on a Sunday isn’t unusual as people will be selling for the start of the week.
    I wouldn’t be afraid to instant sell some players to try and get some PB friendly players.
    I’ve got quite a few PB players and my port has dropped after the initial rise off the back of the dividend increase announcement but I’m sure they’ll rise once they have a couple of decent games.

• @Advinculas-Index said in Losing money hand over fist:

@NewUser449629
    i think you downvoted Mick by mistake

Haha I've had that a few times with newer ppl. Likely to be a slip of the finger but I dont take it personally 😂

• I’m 75/25 pb over youth, had two pb wins this weekend and the port has still tanked!

• @NewUser449629 to be honest, it depends who you've bought. If the players end up being PB performers in the future, then just be patient. The money will go back into the youth prospects at some time, but I think you've potentially invested in youth at the worst time, whilst the market will grow there's no reason for money to go in to youth as currently they have very little PB value.

• @Chris-J .Sorry Chris,haven't got a clue how to do a screen shot, but I have about 30 players and it is only a few that are making big losses. Kluivert is the main one, losing me 90 quid. Bergson at PSV is the next biggest, costing me 33 quid, then Tchouameni, costing me, 27 quid. Other losers are Haidara,Weah and Oliver Skipp at Spurs. Doing really well with some players though, Tierney, Chiesa and Under all making decent amounts. Most of the portfolio are either making a little bit or losing a little bit. Thanks to all for the advice.

• @NewUser449629 but surely you've answered your own question mate

your port has lots of young players with potential. So in the summer, or in year 2 you'd expect to see those players rise.
    Thats the benefit of the 3 yr hold.

At the moment, with the dividend changes, money is leaving young players (some of them anyway) and going into PB players. So Pjanic, Jordan etc have risen.

Eddie Nketiah, Dujon Sterling, Isak, Arp have seen drops or a stalemate. But summer moves, and another year of playing experience will, imo, bring increases.

You're seeing a short term dip now, with the potential to see 25%+ in 12 months

• @NewUser449629 .Sorry, Bergwijn, at PSV.

• @NewUser449629 playing well, UEL games, AND a good chance at a move in the summer....after he has played in the Euro's.
    He has either an Assist or Goal for every Erediv game he has played this season. Just need him to click in a European game.
    Thats one to sit tight on and wait.

• I like mixture of PB players with euros in mind and potential QF minimum Europe completions. Then few players with transfers in mind(koulibaly, b fernandes etc) also have a few youngsters for long-term but personally only 10-15 pc of portfolio

• @NewUser449629 said in Losing money hand over fist:

Really disappointed at the moment. Only a week ago, was making a profit of over £200 on a portfolio of £5000. I was happy with this, not here to make massive returns, would be content with 5% per year. Mainly bought loads of young and up and coming young players from Europe, hoping to hold and make profit steadily. This week and day by day, I'm seeing big falls. Have lost over £150 in the last week and over £50 overnight. Maybe I haven't got a clue what I am doing, fairly new on here, but seriously worried that if this carries on, I will shortly be losing money from my deposit.

Markets go up and down, they ebb and flow. If it was constant increase then everyone would do it and everyone would be rich.

On a platform like this you will have bad spells. Savings accounts are safer but the reward is significantly less

Looks like your connection to Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.