Short selling

• Do people think this will ever be an option on FI?

• I asked Adam this on a Q&A last year. It's not possible to incorporate under a gambling license because you could be on the hook for more than your stake / balance.

• It is something that has crossed my mind. I must admit, I don’t know much about short selling so maybe it wouldn’t be possible on FI.
    I just thought it might be something they have up their sleeve for when new money stops coming on to the platform. As I say, I have no technical knowledge, just hypothesising.

• @playingcards1 Betfair manage to allow people to lay bets, which is effectively the same, you just have to have enough funds in your account to cover the potential pay out. I'm struggling to see the difference, yes it's a moving target with Fi and your liability is unlimited, but there must be ways round it? Yeh perhaps they are keeping it under wraps at the moment?

• @Twods there’s my answer.

• @Joking

I clicked mate nice 👍 shorts

Hope no Trojan viruses too??

If so I know where to come for my Gundergans back

• @Bernie-Madoff said in Short selling:

@playingcards1 Betfair manage to allow people to lay bets, which is effectively the same, you just have to have enough funds in your account to cover the potential pay out. I'm struggling to see the difference, yes it's a moving target with Fi and your liability is unlimited, but there must be ways round it? Yeh perhaps they are keeping it under wraps at the moment?

But they're not the same right? Laying is essentially just betting at a fixed price against something happening. Shorting is taking up a position that you hope will be overpriced at a future point. So you could be liable for an unlimited amount if the price goes the other way, and thereby lose more than your initial stake.

Like I said, Adam said pretty conclusively that they can't introduce an option to short under their current license.

• @playingcards1 Spread betting on 'Total goal times" is an unlimited liability isn't it....so how is anyone able to place spread bets? Ok so the total goal time is partially limited, but then so is the potential loss on FI...surely it's limited (in the same way as goal times is limited by the amount of goals that could be scored in a 90 minute period) by the worth of the most valuable player? I'm not saying Adam is wrong, just trying to figure out how thsi is different to spread betting????

• FI are expanding to other country’s making a android app and setting on new staff. There touring the county with there celebrity road show and looking at possibly putting software to other markets. There market there is only one football stock exchange it’s not broken so there not looking to fix it

I think short sell spread bets are left to company’s who deal in this kind of thing

They have there hands full with there plans at moment at FI towers & the bank of Adam

• @Chicken-Badge Yeh to be fair they could do with improving basic things first, you do make a good point. When you can't even sort your portfolio how you want to i guess being able to short sell is a big ask. "the bank of Adam" - yeh perhaps that bank of adam could put some of the profits back in to improving the platforms?

• @Bernie-Madoff said in Short selling:

@Chicken-Badge Yeh to be fair they could do with improving basic things first, you do make a good point. When you can't even sort your portfolio how you want to i guess being able to short sell is a big ask. "the bank of Adam" - yeh perhaps that bank of adam could put some of the profits back in to improving the platforms?

Not too sure FI make huge profit if they did they would have State of the Art IT tech. Sorting out android app. Adam does start ups and the aim according to Seedrs is to get 100,000,000 market cap then sell on to a bigger operater. I remember it being said somewhere something about Victor Chandler maybe a seedrs investor or something like that. Vex Van Dam was guest speeder at last meet. All good for a grass roots betting platform.

• have to remember all players price tends to zero. If you could short it's just guaranteed money, you literally can't lose!

• @Blue-Python Although the three year rule would presumably also apply?

• @playingcards1 if you would short a 35 year old player, then its very likely that he stops playing with 36 or 37. So its a safe bet. And I think thats the reason why it makes no sense to add short selling on FI.

• @NewUser38991 Very true

• @playingcards1 True, maybe have a rule that you can only short players under 25. Still think it's silly

• @Blue-Python I think that FI is one of those things that easy to understand but difficult to master. Adding in shorts might scare people away as it's harder to understand and people don't like feeling stupid. The simplicity of the site is what has helped it grow in my opinion and to increase the popularity we will need to try and reach out to more people who would have never been near a stock market and don't get some of the principles. Being honest I am fairly well educated and I didn't know what an IPO was before I joined. Keep it simple, let it grow.

• It would probably need to be a 1 year contract due to the ageing impact of players and you would probably have to only be able to short if selling to market I doubt the platform would want to take on that risk.

Looks like your connection to Football Index Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.