All Hail The King (and Future FI King)

• Some of you may have seen this already but for those who haven't, Sky Sports, have put a system together not unlike Opta for determining the 'Premier League Power Rankings' based on recent form.

Spoiler Alert! Sky have officially crowned Christian Pulisic as their king! (says so right in the article)

Anyhow... despite the obvious Pulisic plug.... I thought some of you might find his interesting.

Top 50
    0_1573356151547_form pulisic.jpg

How the Power Rankings Are Calculated
    https://www.skysports.com/football/news/19024/9994064/how-are-the-sky-sports-power-rankings-calculated

• It's 8:00 on Sunday morning. Give the Pulisic bashing a rest!!

• @Lukeroro said in All Hail The King (and Future FI King):

It's 8:00 on Sunday morning. Give the Pulisic bashing a rest!!

I know 🀣

I only opened the thread because I thought it was about me! πŸ˜‰

• @Lukeroro @Ericali

You guys know me.... I would NEVER just openly plug Pulisic... it's against my code (mans gotta have a code), but these were exceptional circumstances. SkySports 'Crowned him king'... A pure opportunity like that just can't be missed.

Skipping over the Captain America bit though, I've never even heard of Caglar Soyuncu and he's 4th on the list.

He's Β£1.12 on the Index. Likewise, I haven't looked at Ludstram or Ramsdale and they are both high on the list. Have Sky giving us a way to find interesting players?

EDIT: Upon further investigation, turns out Ramsdale and Ludstram aren't on the Index yet BUT Caglar won 8p worth of PB last week.

• I've already heard of every single player on that list, I'm sure I'm not alone in this.

If you want to find players on FI, the best tools are the purpose made data products that are available. No point using lists like this Sky one when they're not measuring players the way FI does.

• @Yellow I think that's largely true, but you're assuming every trader is buying for the right reasons. There must be a good chunk of traders who buy players who are good simply footballers or who have just put in a good performance. This list is basically a view of players who will be in popular consciousness - and people do trade on that basis (wrongly!). I know I did when I first started on FI (and still do sometimes when drunk 😚)
    There are short term cap app opportunities with this list I'm sure.

• @TotalPunt @Yellow

Yeah, I'm with ya. I like to use a lot of different sources, then make my mind up about the players. This has the added bonus of being free, as opposed to say IndexGain.

The data set they use might not line up exactly with Opta but if you look at the 35 stats chosen to determine the players, there's a lot of cross over with FI's system, minus perhaps some of the more misleading stats like GWG. Then there's the added benefit of a recent form focus, as some players go through hot patches.

• The very fact that KDB is no 41 on that list when it's generally accepted that he has been outstanding so far this season tells me to take absolutely zero notice of it.

Pulisic first zero PB
    KDB 41st 14p PB

Enough said about how relevant it is to FI.

• @janner73 said in All Hail The King (and Future FI King):

The very fact that KDB is no 41 on that list when it's generally accepted that he has been outstanding so far this season tells me to take absolutely zero notice of it.

Pulisic first zero PB
    KDB 41st 14p PB

Even put FI aside and consider who is having a better season. Pulisic or KDB. For me theres no comparison KDB is probably the best player in the EPL and he has started this season on top form. Although info like this can be handy it can be misleading as the scoring will always favour certain stats much like the PB strategy can.

Stuff like this more of an indication of a players FI media value/potential imo

• @Black-wolf The fact that according to Sky he's the most in-form player in the EPL and he's returning zero dividends on FI would actually send massive alarm bells to me in his value as a hold. That's the way I would interpret the data - if he can't win dividends when he's in that kind of form when will he?

• @janner73 another good point. He’s a player i can see the potential of media appeal but thats all it is potential at the moment. And with media being such a lottery at the moment a see Willian and Jorginho as bigger media players at Chelsea this season because the single name improves the odds

• @janner73

Not if you've been paying attention to his PB it wouldn't.

He lost out by 2 points on one of the weeks and has posted some decent scores. Sure, you could take a hardline view of "no win is no win" but that'd be pretty ridiculous considering he had the second highest score on the whole market by about 80 points, so unless you're only buying the one guy who beat him...

I'd never argue against KDB being the best player in the league, he's up there with the best in the world in types... but if you were to ask which player earned the most wins for their club in the last month, it's undoubtably Pulsiic. Be it coming on as a sub and turning the game around in back-to-back matches, scoring a hatrick, or getting the man of the match and a goal in his last game, the guy has been class and is one of the reasons Chelsea is higher than City in the league

The very fact that KDB is no 41 on that list when it's generally accepted that he has been outstanding so far this season tells me to take absolutely zero notice of it.

Pulisic first zero PB
    KDB 41st 14p PB

That power ranking takes into account of performances in recent weeks, so of course Pulisic is going to be top of that, he banged in hattrick last week and scored yesterday, so no surprise to see him there.

Like you said, I agree and pretty much meaningless when it comes to determining if someone is good on here.

• @Dan-The-Man said in All Hail The King (and Future FI King):

Im fully aware of his near miss as I always look at ALL PB scores so I also knew Soyancu had won PB without needing his name to appear on some random Sky list :)

That "nearly" win took a hat-trick to get there so how repeatable is it? How many hat-tricks will Pulisic score? How many times will he actually outscore Jorginho, Kovacic etc in his own team? These are all factors I look at not just one good PB score in a single performance.

He has potential but he has a long way to go before he's considered FI suitable and a good hold for me.

@Dan-The-Man said in All Hail The King (and Future FI King):

Im fully aware of his near miss as I always look at ALL PB scores so I also knew Soyancu had won PB without needing his name to appear on some random Sky list :)

Yeah, fair play like. I'd never heard of him.

That "nearly" win took a hat-trick to get there so how repeatable is it? How many hat-tricks will Pulisic score?

To say it took a hatrick is a tad misleading though.

Knock something like 79 points off his score and he'd still have come 2nd on the whole index. So did he need the hatrick to outperform all but 1 player on the index? And he might not have picked up PB that night but who won the MB?

And are you saying the rest of the guys who he beat that day, aren't worth holding? Because he out performed them.

• @Dan-The-Man For me it's about how repeatable those scores are. I don't see enough to suggest he can be a regular PB challenger or repeat that score very often...….at the moment.
    Any player on any day can hit a big PB score with a wonder performance. Yes even Henderson COULD :)
    There are plenty of players around his price that will challenge far more regularly for PB wins than him and that's why I don't see him as value. Each to their own but the fact he's in such great form and still has returned nothing puts me off completely.

• @janner73

Well, we all have to make our own determinations brother but to put it into perspective,

• He picked up 301 points, it would have won star player today or yesterday, never mind PB.
    • A week later he posted 206 which would have been tied 4th on the index today.

So.... you have a newly turned 21 year old, winning MB, posting great PB scores, whilst being the key factor in winning games for a top Premier League club. What more are you looking for?

• @Dan-The-Man All in the form of his life and no returns. Do you really think he will be in this form all season.
    As you said each to their own but I see much better value elsewhere. And given that he is still over 40p off his peak price many traders would seem to agree.
    You think his value, I don't and that's what makes FI great.

• @janner73

"All in the form of his life and no returns."

Hey, we don't have to agree on his value or potential but it's not "no returns" he won MB and on any other day he would have won star player.

Let me ask you... If he'd have hit that score yesterday instead of 2 weeks ago, would you be suddenly changing your mind about his worth? After all, it would have been the star player + PB on a gold day.

• @Dan-The-Man Why would the day he hot the score make any difference? I don't take a short-term view.
    Look I'm not looking for another full blown argument here. As I said you think he's value, I don't and that's what makes FI great.