Ben Mendy - Does he ever play?

• He's only been involved in 30 games in 3 seasons with Man City, due to repeated injuries but now missed the game against Liverpool for "tactical reasons" according to PEP. So it appears he can't even make the squad when fit now!! Has Pep lost faith in him, especially for the big games? If so has he even got a long term future at City?

He's currently at a near 12 month high of 172p (same as Laporte who is a fixture & constant PB threat when fit) which I can understand based on when he played he looked a decent marauding wing/full back that would suit the scoring matrix very well but that's irrelevant if he fails to even make it onto the pitch. Having considered buying several times before but been put off by his lack of gametime can anyone furnish a decent reason to buy or even hold him at current levels?

• There's a few factors.

Pep said at the start of the season Mendy can't play with Sane because it leaves them exposed. Sane is out for a while and still no sign. Suggests you're right and a lack of faith.

There's also the aspect of the likes of Yaya, Etoo, Seydou Keita saying Pep doesn't like black guys Yaya and Etoo have said real strong words about it.

The shame is, when he plays he's quality and posts decent enough PB scores. If he moves he'll be absolute fire, he showed such potential at Monaco and when he first signed at City.

• @Lukeroro As far as I recall, he hasn't been known for the best discipline so far over the years.

• @Lukeroro pep dosnt like black players? Kompany, sterling, sane, Jesus, fernandino, Kyle walker.......

• Hes been out injured for a long time and has been getting eased back into the squad. He had played against Atalanta in champions league last week.

When selecting his team we all lnow pep isnt one to substitute defenders any subs he makes are usually goal scorers or playmakers. Any defenders that make the bench need to be more versatile incase of injuries having Mendy on the bench means hes only there to cover left back.
    So looking at how pep manages his team Mendy is more likely to be either starting or not in the squad any defenders on the bench are more likely to be center backs

• @Lukeroro WOW....that is a statement and a half isn't??? "Pep doesn't like black guys " …!?!?! WOW!!!

• @Lukeroro said in Ben Mendy - Does he ever play?:

There's a few factors.

Pep said at the start of the season Mendy can't play with Sane because it leaves them exposed. Sane is out for a while and still no sign. Suggests you're right and a lack of faith.

There's also the aspect of the likes of Yaya, Etoo, Seydou Keita saying Pep doesn't like black guys Yaya and Etoo have said real strong words about it.

The shame is, when he plays he's quality and posts decent enough PB scores. If he moves he'll be absolute fire, he showed such potential at Monaco and when he first signed at City.

I don't think it's about Pep "not liking black guys" (which I think is over the top) and more to do with the fact that Mendy has made 2 major knee injuries in the past few years which have ruled him out.

• @Brane_Ormso or maybe hes realised what a liability he is defensively and considered how bad they are atm hasn't wanted to exacerbate their defensive issues

• @Ddr there's that element as well. He got a few assists/goals at the start of last season if i remember, but City's defence is missing Laporte and Ederson at the minute not to mention the fact they didn't replace Kompany.

• @Brane_Ormso yeah they look shaky at the back already. He might be a decent attacking full back, but imo he would be the weak link to target, even in their currently depleted squad. As I said, he looks bad defensively and I'm not sure whether pep fancies him now hes seen him up close in training

• https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/06/04/yaya-toure-accuses-pep-guardiola-having-problems-africans/

I can't find an Etoo link but there are untold amounts of Toure links on google and there are quotes and tweets from Etoo.

• @Liljoeyfritzl and @gball1975 if you read, I wasn't breaking the news. I was saying it has been said by various players who have played under him. I'm not saying it's a factor, I'm not even saying it's true, but I can't think of a reason - bar what @Antierror mentioned - which is viable to playing Zinchenko or Delph over him at left back.

• @Lukeroro Zinchenko and delph only played there while Mendy was injured. Zinchenko is actually a midfielder but has bexame a decent left back the only reason for Mendy not playiing now is squad rotation while he finds his way back to full match fitness. Delph hasnt actually been at city since Mendy became available so it cant be said that delph was ever picked over a fully fit Mendy

• @Black-wolf I've had a stinker there then, forgot Delph left.

Even moreso no reason why Mendy hasn't played much.

• Was there a reason Mendy didn’t make the squad yesterday? Was on holiday, so didn’t see much about it