Advice needed from traders who've been on the platform prior to the World Cup in 2018.

• As teams have qualified or almost certain to qualify for the Euro's in the summer I'm starting to reshape my port to include players who are going to be playing in the finals and in a European competition this season.

My criterion is players under £1 . I have identified a few who I believe represent good value.

My question is, am I putting to much emphasis on the Euro's? For example did most players who played in the world cup in 2018 rise due to appearing in the competition?

• @Pagey74

Long term thinking is often the best way to play this game. Many users on the forum preach this philosophy, but rarely stick to it.

In relation to the Euros, I would advise against preparing your entire portfolio for this event. You need to treat each player purchase as an individual decision, rather than a collective ideology.

The reason I say this, is because between now and the Euros, each player will have an optimum time at which to buy them in preparation for the Euros.

For example, now is a great time to buy Perisic (73p) with the Euros in mind. Due to several factors, I believe he is pretty much at his lowest. Whereas with Griezmann, now might be a bad time to buy with the euros in mind. He is playing in the shadow of Messi and appears to be struggling to settle at the club. His price is likely to continually fluctuate as a result.

Perhaps the cheapest time to buy a particular player with the Euros in mind is after a 'negative' event, which has caused their price to drop significantly. An example of this would be say when Thorgan Hazard drops 15/20p due to Dortmund being eliminated in the quarter finals of the Champions league ... buy at this point and then wait for the inevitable rise immediately prior to the Euro tournament.

Hope that helps!? 👍

• As a fellow newbie, this is also something i would be interested in knowing.

And in addition to this question:,

• Did players drop a lot in price when their country was eliminated? (akin for example to the Alberto drop in the last Europa game)

• And did players who did not partake (either because they didn't get picked or because their country did not qualify) dropped drastically in price?

If so, then surely these drops represent good opportunities in buying for the season ahead?

• @johnboywalker Fantastic! Thanks for your advice. Much appreciated.

• @JaySaul said in Advice needed from traders who've been on the platform prior to the World Cup in 2018.:

As a fellow newbie, this is also something i would be interested in knowing.

And in addition to this question:,

• Did players drop a lot in price when their country was eliminated? (akin for example to the Alberto drop in the last Europa game)

• And did players who did not partake (either because they didn't get picked or because their country did not qualify) dropped drastically in price?

If so, then surely these drops represent good opportunities in buying for the season ahead?

Player drops can often appear as highly irrational. I used to get pissed off at the random nature of it, but with hindsight, it's very much predictable.

Players always suffer illogical drops because their club is eliminated from a competition. Everyone just ignores the fact the bet is valid for 3 years, and panic sells.

Although he is an absolute legend, I cannot wait to see the drop of Messi if Barca are eliminated early in the Champions League. It will be a massacre.

I will be sitting waiting patiently for such drops, in order to grab some bargain buys.

Patience and clear thinking can earn you alot of money from the short term panic merchants.

• Been thinking about a strategy and my plan at the moment is to wait and see the group draw and potential path to the finals then try plan what teams are going to potentially make the last 8 go heavy in those teams then just cherry pick players from the remaining teams , although at the moment I probably already own the majority of top PB players so quite prepared but will look to increase my holding on them

• Same here waiting on draw in couple weeks. Already based portfolio around top European anticipate QF. Germsny,Holland, spain., Italy and England. Just waiting to see where Belgium, Portugal and France drop!!

• @Pagey74 some good advice so far. I'd add a few points.

There were a large amount of players ipo'd for the WC who are now worthless and dropped in value as soon as they were knocked out. See Saudi Arabia, Peru teams etc. This won't happen as much with the Euros as most players will still be PB eligible, but some won't so proceed with caution here. Decent profits to be made though if you get in and out at the right time...

Don't assume the top players will deliver. Werner was tipped for top scorer at the WC. Total flop! Was poor tonight as well. Messi didn't deliver either.

Don't overinvest and always buy for the long term. It's good to enjoy watching matches once in a while without worrying about your portfolio dropping constantly.

Injuries. Don't hesitate to buy squad/ fringe players. There's a lot of football between now and the summer and there will inevitably be injuries. Not to mention in the tournament itself. Some real value in those players.

• @Pagey74 A couple of options you may want to look at

Leo Dubois. France. Outside chance of making the starting 11. First choice RB/ WB at Lyon. 64p

Klosterman. Germany. Very good PB score tonight and good long term hold. £1.10 (likely to drop after tonight).

Granit Xhaka. Switzerland. Very good PB base and likes a bit of media attention. See goal celebration and recent shenanigans. Transfer spec on top. £1.00

Vitaly Mykolenko. Ukraine. Very good LB for Ukraine. 22 years old. 70p.

• @Metropolis Thanks for the advice pal.

I'm looking for proven quality for under £1 who will play in the Euro's and also European football this season. I'm thinking at the likes of Modric, Varane, Kante etc.

My thinking is that FI will produce a massive marketing campaign in the lead up to the Euros to get new customers in. Those new customers especially the ones who haven't got thousands to invest will hopefully buy a lot of household names who are fairly cheap and will play in the Euro's for a strong nation.

Obviously I could be wrong but I'm just trying to get a strategy in place and get in early.

• Yeah there were big rises leading up to the World Cup. Drops after the World Cup then rises again leading up to the new season. So plenty of opportunities if it follows a similar pattern.

• Every player will get pumped do doubt about it.

Just dont get caught out by big rises on players in non pb leagues.