Confused, need help

• Just sold half of my shares in Gundogan, which should've left me half the original profit margin, but it's decreased to under a quarter of the profit margin instead..... Why is that?

• Banned

@NewUser434312 did u buy them all at the same time?

• Not that I can recall, no

• @NewUser434312 your cost price is only an average of all your purchases of that player. When you sell it sells the oldest shares first. So if the oldest shares cost less than the more recent ones then the average price will go up

• Well that was another expensive learning curve 😕..... So I assume the message is, if youre gonna instant sell then sell them all in one go? lol

• Banned

@NewUser434312
    no because your profit is the same.
    say you buy 100 shares at £1 and 100 £2. The average will show £1.50 a share.
    The price goes up to £3. Your total profit is 100 x £2 and 100 X £1 for total profit of £300.
    You then sell the first 100 shares at £3, you get £200 profit (100 x £2).
    Your profit on the last 100 is still 100 x £1.

You haven't lost profit, you've just taken more profit from the earlier shares than you will get from the later ones (assuming the earlier ones where cheaper)

• No it doesnt matter as you still paid what you paid for them. Your total amount paid will still be the overall cost price. By selling the half you bought at the cheaper price you can consider that your profit take and now you can wait to make profit on the remaining shares if you had sold all at once it would be the same as selling the remaining ones now

• @MrWh1te said in Confused, need help:

@NewUser434312
    no because your profit is the same.
    say you buy 100 shares at £1 and 100 £2. The average will show £1.50 a share.
    The price goes up to £3. Your total profit is 100 x £2 and 100 X £1 for total profit of £300.
    You then sell the first 100 shares at £3, you get £200 profit (100 x £2).
    Your profit on the last 100 is still 100 x £1.

You haven't lost profit, you've just taken more profit from the earlier shares than you will get from the later ones (assuming the earlier ones where cheaper)

Ah a much better explanation. ☝️

• Nobody gets fucked in the ass just once that’s the email fi sent me ? Glad that’s all sorted

• Ahh right ok, thanks for the help guys, much appreciated👍