How is Gnabry classified as a MF?

• Surely more of a forward than Coman as he often plays up front down the middle aswel as wide.
    Do we think any changes are forthcoming?

• Yes same here, he’s got to be a striker eventually imo.

• @Chap There's plenty of those types of players classed as mids. How is Sancho a mid? How is Bernardo Silva a mid and Mahrez a forward when the play the same position? How is Rashica a mid?
    German clubs, in particular, seem to classify their wide players as midfielders.

• @janner73 said in How is Gnabry classified as a MF?:

@Chap There's plenty of those types of players classed as mids. How is Sancho a mid? How is Bernardo Silva a mid and Mahrez a forward when the play the same position? How is Rashica a mid?
    German clubs, in particular, seem to classify their wide players as midfielders.

Gnabry has a bigger case than most though as he does play as a centre forward sometimes.
    There are a lot of players that need changing though because it clearly isn't fair.
    Depay is a wide forward no different to sancho, loads of examples. Stengs is wide man and classed as a forward.

• @Tom77 said in How is Gnabry classified as a MF?:

Gnabry has a bigger case than most though as he does play as a centre forward sometimes.

Only for Germany tho - he never plays CF for Bayern and the cascade system means club position takes priority.

There are loads that in my opinion should be changed but we have to live with OPTA classifications. At least that's fair in that it's independent and FI have no influence over it.

• @Tom77 Definitely seems to be German clubs that I have most issues with positions tho. Most of the wide players that I have issues with play in the Bundesliga - Sancho, Gnabry, Rashica, Richter are just a few I can name off the top of my head and there will be others.

• @janner73 Lucas moura is another one, plays upfront for Spurs if Kane and Son are unavailable. Gnabry needs to score about 3 goals and have GWG to have a chance of winning PB against these playmakers

• @ChazFI123 Yeah the OPTA changes confuse me sometimes. Youcef Atal played a couple games on the wing and was changed from defender to midfielder. Hakimi has played on the wing for Dortmund more than Atal has for Nice yet remains a defender.
    I know some of these classifications aren't necessarily easy I just wish there was a consistency - it's impossible to explain to someone how Atal is a mid and Hakimi a def. Whichever they are they should both be the same - I can live with consistency.

• @janner73 I really do think they should reclassify as a kind of last resort, it’s clearly advertised what position a player is. Gnabry for example, clearly says he’s a midfielder, if you don’t like the fact he is don’t buy him. Which is the reason I haven’t got him funnily enough. I think it’d be really bad if they became really fluid with their positional changes, Kimmich might end up changing every week!

• @ChazFI123 It will never be 100% accurate simply cos of the way football is. I think we just have to live with the OPTA classifications and, as you say, we can buy or not buy based on those positions. Now if OPTA just could be a bit more consistent I'm fine with it - it's the OPTA inconsistencies that annoy me more than anything else.

• @janner73 from FI’s perspective I don’t think they’d particularly want all these wingers classified as forwards cause currently it’s already hard enough for out and out strikers to win PB, so if you added these players we’ve mentioned too it’d be even harder for poor old Tammy to win PB!

• @ChazFI123 Maybe but they don't have any control over it anyway as it's all in OPTA's hands - and that same data is used by thousands of customers.
    If FI had control over positional data it would worry me.

• @janner73 sorry what I meant is I think they’re probably quite glad it’s the way it is, with a lot of these wingers as midfielders

• @janner73 I used Coman as the example who plays the exact same position in the same team just the other wing as is classified as a forward and gnabry even partners Lewandowski sometimes
    Agree there are plenty more but some are too obvious

• @Chap said in How is Gnabry classified as a MF?:

@janner73 I used Coman as the example who plays the exact same position in the same team just the other wing as is classified as a forward and gnabry even partners Lewandowski sometimes
    Agree there are plenty more but some are too obvious

Coman is a mid too. Would be great if he and gnabry were forwards.

• @Indexical Oh my bad. I thought he was a forward for some reason... if him and gnabry are both MF then thats slightly less annoying lol

• For what it's worth, i think their classification is correct, they are wingers and wingers are wide attacking midfielders, not forwards

• @Ddr You're possibly right but there's still no consistency. The argument then is why is someone like Mahrez a forward?
    I don't really care which way around they are but I would like to see some consistency from OPTA.

• @janner73 only reason I can think of would be formation. City usually play a front 3 so mahrez is actually playing as a forward, whereas bayern play a 4-2-3-1 so the 2 and 3 are classed as mids not forwards......although not sure whether this works across the board completely

• @Ddr The 4-2-3-1 is the most likely explanation to be fair. A lot of German clubs play that formation and it's mainly their wide players that are classed as midfielders.
    I can almost guarantee if Sancho gets a transfer to the EPL he'll be re-classified as a forward for example.