Football Index FAQs

• Thought it would be good to start a thread for this so we can just direct newbies (or not) here to answer common questions.
    Feel free to add any others you think need to be included in the comments below, or if any of it becomes out of date, incorrect or could be worded more clearly...

Starting out

Q- How are prices affected
    A- Simply put: lots of people buy the player, his price goes up. Lots of people sell, his price goes down. What drives people to do this, however, is more complex. It'll usually be based on two things though- expected growth/decline, and expected dividend return.

Q- Who are the best people to follow on Twitter
    A- A dangerous question. There's a lot of 'self promotion' of players, meaning that some of the big hitters try and influence the marked. To me, and a few others, @_FIGuide seems pretty knowledgeable, impartial and always willing to help people get started. He hosts the FI podcasts and has some useful YouTube vids too.

Q- I can trust people on the forum, right?..
    A- Wrong. Only a handful of people here will be completely unbiased in their opinions. Remember, we all hold players, and all want their movements on the market to benefit us. People will promote their own holds in many ways, or bad mouth players they want people to sell in the hope their prices drop and they can get them cheap. Cynical view, or not, this is human nature.
    Tread carefully, and ALWAYS do your own research. That said, this is only when discussing who to buy- not all members are evil and there's some great advice kicking about.

Q- When will I get my referral bonus?
    A- Your friend, colleague, or randomer, needs to deposit and buy players for it to be paid. Don't forget the rollover requirements ;)

Q-I've been asked for ID. Is this normal, and how long will my account verification take
    A- Very normal. Lots of bookies ask for this as part of anti-laundering checks. Usually within 24-48 hours.

Q- Is there an Android app?
    A- Apparently it's under construction.

Buying/Selling

Q- What's the difference between instant sell and sell to market
    A- Instant sell means FI will buy your share(s) back for the price there. Not always the best value, but your best bet if the price is dropping fast. Sell to market is where you put your player up for sale. It'll be in a queue and, if others buy him for the price you've set, yours will be sold. Each of these is subject to commission of c.2%, which is paid after the sale

Q- Why can't I instant sell right now
    A- A couple of potential reasons. If your player's a recent IPO then you're not allowed to see for a day or two after buying. If not, then you'll probably have noticed your player's tanked in value suddenly. Well, no Instant Sell is there to limit that happening any further. FI introduce this measure to protect the market from an absolute hammering, resulting in significant volatility. It might be hurting you now but it helps protect the platform in the long term.

Q- What's a 'Tracker'
    A- A waste of time as they currently are. Don't bother.

Q- What's the 3 year rule?
    A- Once you purchase an individual share in a player, it's valid for 3 years. After that, it expires. If you have 10 of a player, bought at different times, you will sell the 'oldest' first.

Buzz/PB/MB/Dividends

Q- What is 'buzz'/PB/MB
    A- Another name for the dividends you get paid for owning a player who either gets the highest media attention (Media Buzz) or the best Opta stats (Performance Buzz). This is paid each night after midnight, and can be seen in the Live Rankings section of the site/app.

Q-Why are different amounts paid on different days
    A- It all depends on how many matches are being played. If there are no games eligible for PB then MB will be 8p, 5p and 2p. However, if the day has PB eligible games, it's reduced to one space of 5p for the winner.
    PB payouts are staged based on how many games are played on that day, usually the highest at Weekends and European cup competitions.

Q- How is PB (Performance Buzz) calculated
    A- Opta provide the stats. https://imgur.com/a/AfZ8Q (up to date as of March 2018). You need to have owned the player before 14:00 on the day to be eligible for either PB or MB.

Q- Is there a way of seeing PB history?
    A- A few different options.
    Free (good for smaller portfolios) - Footy index scout has simply how many times a player has won PB.
    £1 a month (good for mid-sized portfolios) - @Noirx4 has a set back to mid November 2017, has all PB and MB winners, dividends, PB and MB scores over 100 points. Can filter by player, date, position, team etc. Message him for more info.
    £7 a month (good for the big guns) FI edge - all winners, PB scores etc.

Q- How do I use/access my dividends
    A- What you see as your 'dividends' on the site is just a running total of all the payouts you've had. Each night, any dividends go into your cash balance.

Strategies
    Q- Who should I buy
    A- ALMOST a pointless question, as there's so many different factors to take into account. Easiest solution is to understand the buzz structures and then look at lots of players' stats to see who's likely to score highly.

Q-Any good websites for stats
    A- Personal favourites are whoscored.com and sofascore.com (cracking app). Both are powered by opta, so be careful of other sites that use different stats providers.

Top tips
    @Agatello : Who should I buy? Keepers are more or less pointless (literally) until they get their own category- steer clear. It depends on so many factors and expectations but I would say people should forget about players they admire/support (and non goalscorers but that's my personal opinion) and focus more on their stats, even if they think that player is an idiot/tosser. :-) What returns can I expect? Forget ACCA returns and think of it like the stockmarket that it is. A lot come into it thinking a 20%+ return is pointless, without realising that's incredible on an investment basis.

@Ermejo Diversify, decide what % you want on blue chips expensive players and cheaper alternatives, in most cases players are expensive for a reason as they almost guarantee returns however the % gains on price increases won’t be great, cheaper players could generate greater % gains however in most cases they will just be stagnant money not generating any profit at all, timing is crucial. Oldies can offer great returns, don’t be afraid to buy a Dani Alves and ride his PB wins for a few months, just be ready to sell before they retire or move to China/USA and the likes. Good players in real life may not necessarily be a good investment on FI, Many examples of great players available at less than £1 and with little demand.

@BL__FI Whether the player is green or red in your portfolio, if you expect their price to rise more, you should hold; if you think they're only going to be dropping in the foreseeable future, then sell. Better to take a loss in that case and reinvest what you can save from it into someone on the way up than to hang on because you don't like losing and end up selling at an even lower price when you give up on them a month later. Of course you have to judge each case individually and sometimes you need to have faith that a dip is temporary and worth holding through, but I've seen pretty much the exact phrase "I'm holding player x and I can't sell him because I have him in the red" many times and it's just wrong and losing those people money!

@AT10 Along with Twitter users also be aware many forum topics are also set up so someone can flip a player (they've got them on the sell queue already) as mentioned previously research the player yourself and figure out if there's value.

@Ermejo Start low and gain knowledge of the market and prices behaviour before investing big, There are many factors affecting prices, gauging an understanding of those will help making better educated decisions

@Stevo Avoid buying a player solely because they are playing on a single buzz day. Unless you get in really early the price will often rise and then fall quickly over 24 hours often meaning any dividends you win will be swallowed up in the decrease in value.
    Also it's worth comparing a player you are considering buying against someone in a similar position. Similar age, position, club etc just to see whether they are worth what you are paying.
    Lastly, not advice as such but I would higy recommend if you get chance attending one of the FI trader meets just to put names to faces from the forum. Generally everybody wants to give advice and help each other out. It's worth it for the free Peroni's if nothing else!

@Noirx4 - Do not panic sell. Unless you get out in the first 5 minutes you have missed the boat and you will sell at the bottom of the curve and get badly burnt. Hold and believe in why you bought the player and it will often work out
    Beware the silly season (transfer window) players will rocket and drop like a stone so make sure you get in early or avoid a player and look for the next one. Once the deal is done players can drop by up to 25%+

@AT10 Try to get ahead of the crowd, for example if you haven't got your WC players you're probably too late? The potential PB returns will be outweighed by the drop once their team is eliminated - this is my biggest concern for new users. Once the WC is finished money will move to MB / transfer spec and the guys who have no hope of winning this will fall rapidly so have you're exit plan in place!

@Ermejo Try to predict what the market will do and get in early (either buying before others do or selling before prices are at risk of a drop. Don’t be afraid to sell and lock in profits, you haven’t won (or lost) on any trade until you sell. Can’t win them all, don’t be afraid to sell at a loss, holding the wrong players would lock valuable funds that could be used to generate profits elsewhere. Take spread into consideration, try to sell to market at most times however some players could take some time to be snatched up and Instant selling is the best route for them especially if the spread is low

@... me! You've only made a loss, or a profit, when you sell up. So don't panic when there's a dip, and don't get cocky when you see green. Also, be conscious of mindset: when the marked dips, it's tempting to sell. Have faith in the index and the product, and buy more of the players you want at a knockdown price. Good for your portfolio and, if everyone does this, there'll almost never be a 'crash'.

Jargon Buster
    IPO- Initial Public offering
    PB- Performance Buzz
    MB- Media Buzz
    IS- Instant Sell
    STM- Sell to Market
    WC- World Cup
    Spread- The difference between a player's buy and sell price

• Couple of updates added, thanks for the DM input guys.

• Wondering if a useful addition might be to add in some 'tips' for newbies (the number of times we see 'just joined-any advice?' threads suggests it might help.

Here's the format- I recommend someone who I think provides some great advice / content / support on the forum.
    They then post their best advice for a newbie, then recommend someone else they think is a top member to provide theirs. Rinse and repeat. I'll then put some key ones up in the OP for the main point of reference.

My first shout goes to @Noirx4 - what would your advice be mate?

• @CleanShirtTrader haha no pressure there mate.

Ok so my 10 cents.

1. Do not panic sell. Unless you get out in the first 5 minutes you have missed the boat and you will sell at the bottom of the curve and get badly burnt. Hold and believe in why you bought the player and it will often work out.

2. Avoid twitter tips or people hard selling a player they are almost always tipping themselves.

3. Beware the silly season (transfer window) players will rocket and drop like a stone so make sure you get in early or avoid a player and look for the next one. Once the deal is done players can drop by up to 25%+

I think the next person should be @Agatello

• @Noirx4 @CleanShirtTrader One more - of which I actually want to know the answer as received the email today...how long does it generally take to have ID verified so can start withdrawing...or depositing even more :-)

• @Golfing-Grandad I think mine was less than 24 hours but they were getting a lot less emails back then

• @Noirx4 cheers...as you can well imagine at the rate this Index is flying I want to get a little bit more involved!!

• @Noirx4 added mate. Decided to put it under the relevant category rather than a separate section all together so there's a mix of Q&A and also advice for each area. Agree with the @Agatello shout- knowledgeable chap.

• @Golfing-Grandad Don't think we'll be able to answer this one, but if you let me know how long yours takes we've got a reasonable timeframe to go off and i can update accordingly. Let me know fella :)

• Morning guys, appreciate the compliment.

Bit rushed for time this morning, y'know fantasy football changes, kids running wild and of course this weekend's trading opportunities/strategies.

Newbies are often confused with IPO's, where they're published and why they difficult to buy at the utopian prices.

I see a lot of them buying Goalies (including some of my mates) so advice on them being more or less pointless without their own category would be helpful.

Not sure if its covered off above or not but the biggest question is who should I buy? Of course this depends on so many factors and expectations but I would say people should forget about players they admire/support (and non goalscorers but that's my personal opinion) and focus more on their stats, even if they think that player is an idiot/t*sser. :-)

Also a question like What returns can I expect? Might be good; with an explanation to forget ACCA returns and think of it like the stockmarket that it is. A lot come into it thinking a 20%+ return is pointless, without realising that's incredible on an investment basis.

That'll do for now, I'm getting "the look!!!"

• @Agatello good advice mate, will get a redacted version added :) who do you think should be next to provide some advice? e.g. respected forumite.

• @CleanShirtTrader said in Football Index FAQs:

@Golfing-Grandad Don't think we'll be able to answer this one, but if you let me know how long yours takes we've got a reasonable timeframe to go off and i can update accordingly. Let me know fella :)

Took less than 24 hours 👍🏼

• @Golfing-Grandad added, thanks man

• @CleanShirtTrader said in Football Index FAQs:

@Agatello good advice mate, will get a redacted version added :) who do you think should be next to provide some advice? e.g. respected forumite.

There's a few forumites that know their stuff so could literally name 7 or 8! So I'll go for someone with an in depth knowledge of a foreign league in @Ermejo

• @Agatello
    Thanks for the nomination bud, been busy of late but as promoted will give my 10cents advices here
    -Start low and gain knowledge of the market and prices behaviour before investing big, There are many factors affecting prices, gauging an understanding of those will help making better educated decisions
    -Good players in real life may not necessarily be a good investment on FI, Many examples of great players available at less than £1 and with little demand
    -Take spread into consideration, try to sell to market at most times however some players could take some time to be snatched up and Instant selling is the best route for them especially if the spread is low

• -Diversify, decide what % you want on blue chips expensive players and cheaper alternatives, in most cases players are expensive for a reason as they almost guarantee returns however the % gains on price increases won’t be great, cheaper players could generate greater % gains however in most cases they will just be stagnant money not generating any profit at all, timing is crucial
    -Don’t be afraid to sell and lock in profits, you haven’t won (or lost) on any trade until you sell
    -Try to predict what the market will do and get in early (either buying before others do or selling before prices are at risk of a drop
    -Do not listen to others advices before doing your own research, get some data (Edge for £85 per year is worth it if you are serious about investing, Norix at £1 per month is good value for money, free website such as who scored and others are very useful too)

• -You don’t win anything with kids they say and this is not football manager, most kids won’t make you money here, no point in loading on those arsenal U23 streets when most likely they will be loaned out to Doncaster and never make a premiership appearance, only buy a few you truly believe have a great future (don’t forget the 3 yrs rule) and keep tabs on them
    -Oldies can offer great returns, don’t be afraid to buy a Dani Alves and ride his PB wins for a few months, just be ready to sell before they retire or move to China/USA and the likes
    -Can’t win them all, don’t be afraid to sell at a loss, holding the wrong players would lock valuable funds that could be used to generate profits elsewhere

That’s all for now, hope that helps

• @Ermejo Done, thanks mate. Anyone you'd like to nominate for the next round of advice?

• @CleanShirtTrader
    could nominate the wise BL_FI

• Firstly thanks again to @CleanShirtTrader for creating and curating this, not only is it sure to help plenty of newbies, it also (without wishing to sound like a grumpy old git) will save a few of us regulars having to type the same advice too often!
    And thank you @Ermejo for the nomination and kind words, though you've kind of done me over by mentioning pretty much everything! ;)

It's thus more expanding on things people have mentioned above, but the essential points that would have made my early trades better if I'd known it / listened to what people told me are:
    Sounds obvious, but always have a strategy when you buy a player and then adjust it as necessary (e.g. in case of injury): why do you think they will rise in price and/or win dividends? How much and when? This is important because it helps answer the next question that always follows "Who should I buy?", which is "When should I sell?". In other words, if you know why you bought, you should know to sell when that reason reaches its natural end, and the player is (hopefully) at peak price.

Secondly, Ermejo implied this above, but it's an important point that many struggle with so I'll repeat it: what price you bought at is not relevant to when you sell . Obviously it is in the sense that we all want to make profit and if you always sell at a loss you won't. But what I mean is: whether the player is green or red in your portfolio, if you expect their price to rise more, you should hold; if you think they're only going to be dropping in the foreseeable future, then sell. Better to take a loss in that case and reinvest what you can save from it into someone on the way up than to hang on because you don't like losing and end up selling at an even lower price when you give up on them a month later. Of course you have to judge each case individually and sometimes you need to have faith that a dip is temporary and worth holding through, but I've seen pretty much the exact phrase "I'm holding player x and I can't sell him because I have him in the red" many times and it's just wrong and losing those people money!

Those are the things that spring to mind - if I remember anything else I'll jump back in! For now I'll throw it over to @Stevo as the member with the highest forum "reputation" not to have offered their top tip yet!

Looks like your connection to Football Index Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.