Messi wins ballon d’or...and no thread?

• Yeah, it’s only his 6th (!!). No need to create a thread to celebrate. Sometimes, I just don’t get this forum..

• Not done a jot for his price although yes mb win.
    Personally think it should have gone to VVD not that I hold but when the hell is he going to win it if not this year🤔

• @Sol there is a thread Sol

• @Keegans-Bluff where? Or is that a ‘bluff’..

• @Sol click the link and it takes you to it.

• People are used to him (or Ronaldo) winning it. It's predictable.

• @Gazz127 said in Messi wins ballon d’or...and no thread?:

Not done a jot for his price although yes mb win.
    Personally think it should have gone to VVD not that I hold but when the hell is he going to win it if not this year🤔

I do not agree. VVD was not as worthy as Messi. A great defender for 10 years. Messi is a great player for generations to come. Messi has at least 65-70% chance of winning PB every time he plays. Each to their own. The reason why people keep selling is due to his age and his lack of game time during the summer. Has everyone forgotten his statistics this season? Not to mention he is constantly in the media. Just don’t get why you wouldn’t invest in Messi when there is a massive media and public promotion push to new potential new customers of FI. Will new comers put their money in sub 40p players or in Messi in the next 3 to 6 months?? Can’t wait for England to crash out of the Euros and then people will see their investments were ill placed. Sorry to sound negative for England’s chances. They have no chance of winning it or even making the semifinals. Let’s get real. Look at France, Spain and Germany for Gods sake...

• @Keegans-Bluff said in Messi wins ballon d’or...and no thread?:

@Sol click the link and it takes you to it.

I did and it takes you straight to the one I created just now.

• @Londoner it’s ‘predictable’ because they are the best players possibly of all time. My favourite player of all time is Ryan Giggs, but he is not of the same planet as Messi or Ronaldo. Let’s be realistic.

• @Sol said in Messi wins ballon d’or...and no thread?:

Messi has at least 65-70% chance of winning PB every time he plays.

Just worked it out for you Sol. Since Aug 2017 Messi has won PB in 45% of appearances. Still pretty good. That's £1.21 (adjusted) in cash (£2.77 overall for a 43.5% yield on current price of £6.36). Wonder what that figure will be over the next two and a half seasons?

@Gazz127 said in Messi wins ballon d’or...and no thread?:

Not done a jot for his price although yes mb win.

I do not agree. VVD was not as worthy as Messi. A great defender for 10 years. Messi is a great player for generations to come. Messi has at least 65-70% chance of winning PB every time he plays. Each to their own. The reason why people keep selling is due to his age and his lack of game time during the summer. Has everyone forgotten his statistics this season? Not to mention he is constantly in the media. Just don’t get why you wouldn’t invest in Messi when there is a massive media and public promotion push to new potential new customers of FI. Will new comers put their money in sub 40p players or in Messi in the next 3 to 6 months?? Can’t wait for England to crash out of the Euros and then people will see their investments were ill placed. Sorry to sound negative for England’s chances. They have no chance of winning it or even making the semifinals. Let’s get real. Look at France, Spain and Germany for Gods sake...

In the last year VVD has led his club to Champions League title, Premier League runner up and his country to Nation's League runner up. Ballon D'or is the best player that specific year. Forget stats for a second, his influence and leadership on the pitch to drag a Liverpool side who look decent without him to being Champions of Europe.. that's player of the year stuff.

Also, when new traders join, will they look at a £6 player and think "I can win 8p, maybe even 16p per game", I don't think that will appeal to them. Just look at the thread where everyone lists their first buys, not many huge names in there.

However, I do agree, there's not many players better value and therefore he probably should be invested in.

As for "can't wait for England to crash out".. I can't formulate a response.

@Sol said in Messi wins ballon d’or...and no thread?:

Messi has at least 65-70% chance of winning PB every time he plays.

Just worked it out for you Sol. Since Aug 2017 Messi has won PB in 45% of appearances. Still pretty good. That's £1.21 (adjusted) in cash (£2.77 overall for a 43.5% yield on current price of £6.36). Wonder what that figure will be over the next two and a half seasons?

That is good. Now add to the equation the new PB system. 2017 is no longer relevant. Since the introduction of the new PB system, Messi is the safest hold on the index for the next 2 seasons.

• kinda, though i wouldn't say irrelevant. he's certainly won a lot of PB over the last two months (and risen accordingly). As you can see from the numbers he's won comfortably more MB than PB, so really I guess you should be worrying about how well that holds up.

His sharp dip over last summer was because he only won MB four times in three months. He's leapt out of it now, partly because of that great run, and partly the Divs rise. Imagine will be very similar story next Summer though, so a well timed exit key. A double bluff perhaps....

• @Lukeroro just my opinion, but England have no chance of winning the euros. Keep singing ‘it’s coming home’..it’s not going to happen. And in case you think I’m being racist, I’m from Chelsea and am English. Better to accept that England will never win any international competition until they hire a German manager to instill in the players real discipline.

kinda, though i wouldn't say irrelevant. he's certainly won a lot of PB over the last two months (and risen accordingly).

Toni Kroos is the example why the ‘old’ 2017 PB system is no longer relevant.

• @Sol in what sense? (and why would thinking England aren't going to win Euro2020 make anyone think you were racist?)

@Sol in what sense?

In the sense he is now a viable investment with the new PB system.

• @Keegans-Bluff I just seen you edited the last post. I was removing any possibility that I was being biased. England will win if they hire a disciplinarian. The Germans are incredible at creating war machines from even average teams. Klinsman would be perfect.

@Keegans-Bluff said in Messi wins ballon d’or...and no thread?:

@Sol in what sense?

In the sense he is now a viable investment with the new PB system.

um not quite sure what you're getting at there, but ok. I guess PB was different in 2017 in the sense it was a lot easier to win, as there were substantially less players on the Index.

Anyways, you're correct that only thing that really matters now is how much he's going to win from this point in (we just have a lot of info on Messi particularly as indication). Divs being upped definitely helps him though of course.

@Sol said in Messi wins ballon d’or...and no thread?:

@Keegans-Bluff I just seen you edited the last post. I was removing any possibility that I was being biased. England will win if they hire a disciplinarian. The Germans are incredible at creating war machines from even average teams. Klinsman would be perfect.

think they're all just generalisations of little use tbh Sol. Germany won the WC under Low, and also were terrible in 2018 under him. England did relatively great under Gareth Waistcoat. Hopefully we can have a feel good tournament again next year.

@Lukeroro just my opinion, but England have no chance of winning the euros. Keep singing ‘it’s coming home’..it’s not going to happen. And in case you think I’m being racist, I’m from Chelsea and am English. Better to accept that England will never win any international competition until they hire a German manager to instill in the players real discipline.

Unsure where you might have been racist but in 2019 I can understand the premature political correctness!

It's very possible. Lessons were learnt from 2018 as you can see with the recent performances in the Nation's League, particularly vs Croatia.

I wouldn't call us favourites but with our attack, we definitely have a heavyweight puncher's chance.

• And @Sol , I cannot wait to get a beer at 9am and sing "it's coming home" with a bunch of jubilant strangers.

I find it refreshing for a month every other year, there's a nationwide case of optimism and in 2018, genuine happiness.

Looks like your connection to Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.