Messi wins ballon d’or...and no thread?

• @Advinculas-Index They were both great examples tbf.
    Id like to see Messi smoking 20 a day and hammered every night like Best and see if he could still produce!

• @Londoner
    Goalkeepers were better? I find that hard to believe, although being younger ive only seen footage but most keepers seemed terrible compared to today, even if you go back 20 years let alone 50 the way keepers get off their line now to get to the ball before the striker etc gets on a pass is total different how many times do you think a quick player is through on goal only for the keeper to be there. In the old days they just stood still, you could argue they were meaner but reaction times, ball handling, shot stopping was not the same and they couldnt dive as far to reach corners of goals.

• @Sol Sports science, fitness and dieting are obviously on a completely different level nowadays. Training methods, research and game planning are unbelievably meticulous as opposed to barely being bothered with 25 years ago.
    If today’s players typical day consisted of a two hour kick about and running session, no real attention to their long term fitness or recovery, then an afternoon in the betting shop, steak and chips and ten pints we’d see the evidence.
    As in all sports the only reason we see advancement in standards is advancements in the lives of athletes.

• I’ve got to add, all of these things combined make you realise how good Gazza, Maradona etc. were.
    They thought that recovery was staying in bed after a session rather than going to training.

• i woke up this morning to more divs from Messi, 3 media wins on the trot, won star man last week, the bloke is a cash machine for divs!

Not sure why his price is dropping so much to be honest, if you watch him play he is still head and shoulders above any other player on the planet. He isn't going to just wake up overnight and say "right I'm retiring".

Will 100% play in the next world cup in 2022 so that's your 3 year bet there for anyone who says he isn't worth the money.

• @Londoner I’m ignorant? Ah! You voted remain 😂

• @Sill7 shhhhh! Let them keep selling 😉🧙‍♂️🐐💰

• @Sill7 double shhhhhhh! Messi is on course for MB again today 🥳

• 60p spread currently - must be so many of him in the sell queue/people wanting to sell him right now. Which is strange considering MB in the past couple days and recent PB win. How long are people estimating this will last for?

• @Andy part of me thinks this guy is still undervalued, I only have 8 players in my port and I'm considering moving on my Werner's and ploughing all the money into Messi. I'd be surprised if he doesn't win probably 4+ more star mans, MB 10+ times. Yes there will be a summer drop, but that could be the perfect time to double up. A fully fit Neymar for me is the only player that can get close to Messi on FI (and he doesn't have the Euro's either!)

• @ChazFI123 said in Messi wins ballon d’or...and no thread?:

@Andy part of me thinks this guy is still undervalued, I only have 8 players in my port and I'm considering moving on my Werner's and ploughing all the money into Messi. I'd be surprised if he doesn't win probably 4+ more star mans, MB 10+ times. Yes there will be a summer drop, but that could be the perfect time to double up. A fully fit Neymar for me is the only player that can get close to Messi on FI (and he doesn't have the Euro's either!)

Exactly the reason I only have 5 players in my portfolio. Neymar and Messi are my largest holds. I sold off nearly all my portfolio and ploughed it all into those 2 players. Patience will be key over the summer, but with the new aggressive advertising campaign, Messi and Neymar might not ‘lose’ the value most are predicting.

• @Sol I'm sorry...did I just read this correctly? Pele is not the greatest of all time? Not even top 3? wow....now that is a statement.

• @gball1975 just my opinion. Maradona, gullit, Messi, Ronaldinho, ronaldo (both Brazil and Portugal) zidane hold a higher legend status.

• @Sol that's a crazy, Gullit better than Pele. Like you say everyone's entitled to their opion...just never though I'd hear anyone say some of those players are better than Pele.
    Oh well each to their own.

• @gball1975 yes I do. Thinking Gullit is better than Pele is rather valid. Pele was a one trick pony (who fabricated his goal tally along the way) Gullit played central defender, central midfielder, attacking midfielder and striker. All positions he was great in. Gullit for me was the greatest all round player in history. Socrates has a better shout out as a legend from the Pele days. More all round great technique and more versatile. Just because the ‘remoaner’ Gary lineker keeps spouting his mouth that Pele is the best ever, doesn’t make it so.

• @Sol ok...🤦‍♂️I cant get in this conversation properly so I'll say we'll leave it there.

• @gball1975 Unsurprisingly most people have a recency bias - so Pele (and George Best) fall out of a lot of people's "best ever" just because they're the least recent.
    Also need to remember how the internet has changed everything we see. People will have seen every little bit of magic from Messi and Ronaldo, but will have seen nowhere near as much of Pele and how special he was.
    I'm not even gonna try and compare myself, but I would imagine there would be a huge amount of people who would have a list similar to @Sol - for the reasons I mentioned above.

• @Sol said in Messi wins ballon d’or...and no thread?:

@Londoner I’m ignorant? Ah! You voted remain 😂

I don't vote. But if I did, it would have been to leave. Shows how much you know, LOL.

• @Londoner you don’t vote? Shows how much you value the people who fought and died for your right to vote...

• Can we stop referencing Brexit or how people vote. Theres been a few comments now that look to me as if you are fishing for a Brexit arguement. We know how explosive they get and all it does is succeed in pissing off everyone involved on both sides of the argument so save it for somewhere other than here

Looks like your connection to Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.