What's happened to man city this year?

• Laporte injury and Kompany leaving probably the main factors imo

• Isn’t this where top managers prove their worth?

• CB in-bound in January? 🤔

That's where I'd be looking if I was looking to identify a City target.

• @Tom7471 said in What's happened to man city this year?:

I love watching city but I have no idea what has made them so fragile this year in losing to teams like Norwich wolves and United. I know the defence is a bit shoddy but it can't just be that.

It's like Rocky v Apollo Creed -

Last season, Liverpool (Rocky) pushed the clear favourites Man City (Apollo) all the way to the last game of the season (final bell).

That took a lot out of the reigning champions and, just like in Rocky II, the rematch shows Rocky (Liverpool ) has more hunger, more spirit and much more of that ability to come back from a losing position.

I am now imagining klopp giving a Mickey style team talk: "You're gonna eat lightning, yer gonna crap thunder! " 😂😂

Meanwhile Pep is being briefed "I've seen you hit that man harder than anyone before, and THE MAN KEPT COMING!"

Let's quote another legend, Arnie, from the classic "Pumping Iron" documentary....
    "It's hard to get to the top of the mountain but it's even harder to stay there"

Well, this escalated quickly 😂😂

• Haha now you are talking in my language of boxing!

• Did you see that ludicrous display last night? What was pep thinking sending on Mahrez that early? The thing about City is that they always try to walk it in!

• @Ericali yeah, agreed - what do you reckon about Milan Skriniar? Been linked before (as well as with Barca and RM) and highly-rated, still young for a CB which Pep should like, but not in his best form at times this season and Ranocchia has been quietly excellent with Godin and de Vrij, so Inter could be prepared to sell in January. Could be worth a punt at 90p...

• @stumac85 I completely agree. It's either some unreal strike from Dr bruyne or rodri or they try time after time to walk the bloody thing in.

• An injured team is a weakened team.

The back of a team is more important than the front. The least or no goals goals conceded in a game, is worth more than goals scored, in points gained over a season. It’s in the book, Football by Numbers.

• @Ollie yeah u I read that and it's very true.

• Guardiola is a fraud. Overrated. Hasn’t got to a CL final without Messi. And obviously had all the success at Barca cos they were miles ahead of everyone else. When he left, Luis Enrique continued to do as well. He went to Bayern after they won the CL and didn’t get close. Came to City and same thing. Is tactically inept against the top managers in 2 legged affairs. Is just a master of beating crap teams. But whenever he has been asked to do well with a mediocre team, he can’t. Eg his first year at City they came 4th with the 2nd best if not best squad in the league. He needs top players to do well, always has done. Yes he is a good coach and has made players better, but what player isn’t going to get and look better when playing with world class players every week. Eg how many of Sterling’s goals are tap ins from ridiculous KDB passes.

• @PistolPete67 could be worth, I know no more than you - but personally would lean towards Umtiti (Barca happy to sell) & Ruben Dias.

• @chaps1988 said in What's happened to man city this year?:

Guardiola is a fraud. Overrated. Hasn’t got to a CL final without Messi. And obviously had all the success at Barca cos they were miles ahead of everyone else. When he left, Luis Enrique continued to do as well. He went to Bayern after they won the CL and didn’t get close. Came to City and same thing. Is tactically inept against the top managers in 2 legged affairs. Is just a master of beating crap teams. But whenever he has been asked to do well with a mediocre team, he can’t. Eg his first year at City they came 4th with the 2nd best if not best squad in the league. He needs top players to do well, always has done. Yes he is a good coach and has made players better, but what player isn’t going to get and look better when playing with world class players every week. Eg how many of Sterling’s goals are tap ins from ridiculous KDB passes.

I've been saying this for years. Guardiola's success always comes after a huge cheque book has been brandished. I don't think I've ever seen him change the fortunes of a team just by his tactical nous rather than buying success.

• @chaps1988 bald fraud! They'll improve but they really need defensive reinforcement in January. On my FM20 save he was sacked March 2020 but I can't see City going to those extreme lengths unless they nosedive down the table.

I think this is just a blip though - they can easily put 10-15 wins in a row if their top players are in form. Sterling has been a bit off lately, as has Bernardo Silva. De Bruyne is playing well but as teams sit deep and hit them on the counter he can't really send balls over the top for wingers to run on to.

• Three things stick out for me.

• The loss of Kompany
    • injuries to keeper and backline (especially Laporte)
    • Introducing Rodri in midfieid.

The loss of Kompany can't be underestimated, he's been the leader and player embassador for that club close to a decade, he would have been an example and prescence to every single player and it's impossible to replace that overnight.

Laporte, Zinchencko and Ederson all have had medium to long spells out and at different times. It's easy to pinpoint Laporte but where is the consistency in the back four? It's going to be chopping and changing from now till pretty much the end of the season and that's hard to build momentum with.

Rodri, great player but he's different from Fernandinho and offers less protection to the back four. I'd imagine the idea with him in the team is greater possession but just look at how open they've been on the counter this season, the mix still isn't right or needs time to gel.

• @Ericali Umtiti could also be a good shout - I’ve got a few shares in him too in case. Ideal situation for my port is that Umtiti goes to City so Barca sign Skriniar!

• Sure pep come out recently and said there won’t be any signings in January but he would be looking to freshen up the squad at the end of the season

• @Tom7471 Only True winners with an unquenchable thirst and real characters win time after time (the United 90’s, early 2000’s team).
    City have lost their hunger and lack real men that hate losing.

• @ScouseSte said in What's happened to man city this year?:

@Tom7471 said in What's happened to man city this year?:

I love watching city but I have no idea what has made them so fragile this year in losing to teams like Norwich wolves and United. I know the defence is a bit shoddy but it can't just be that.

It's like Rocky v Apollo Creed -

Last season, Liverpool (Rocky) pushed the clear favourites Man City (Apollo) all the way to the last game of the season (final bell).

That took a lot out of the reigning champions and, just like in Rocky II, the rematch shows Rocky (Liverpool ) has more hunger, more spirit and much more of that ability to come back from a losing position.

I am now imagining klopp giving a Mickey style team talk: "You're gonna eat lightning, yer gonna crap thunder! " 😂😂

Meanwhile Pep is being briefed "I've seen you hit that man harder than anyone before, and THE MAN KEPT COMING!"

Let's quote another legend, Arnie, from the classic "Pumping Iron" documentary....
    "It's hard to get to the top of the mountain but it's even harder to stay there"

Well, this escalated quickly 😂😂

Yes and United is Ivan Drago....’we must break you’ 😂

• Losing Kompany and Laporte are such big losses, if VVD wasn’t around I think Laporte would be so much more appreciated, if Liverpool lost VVD for half a season I’d be amazed if they got the same amount of points city currently have. Surprised me yesterday how Pep kept playing into united’s hands yesterday and let them counter in the first half