Deposit bonus ever again likely?

• Hey folks - does anyone envisage a deposit bonus coming either Jan or before euros?

Jan would seem unlikely given FI are rolling out a promotion for new users ( risk free )

So maybe for euros?

Pure speculation I know but would hate to throw in a few hundred and then a few weeks later could have had a nice bonus

• @SteveFate83 said in Deposit bonus ever again likely?:

would hate to throw in a few hundred and then a few weeks later could have had a nice bonus

For me that is the exact reason why I hope there are no more deposit bonuses for the foreseeable future. Money gets held out of the market waiting for one.

• I hear you buddy

Pure speculation I know but would hate to throw in a few hundred and then a few weeks later could have had a nice bonus

The market grows enough during a DB that you'd make 10% on that few hundred anyway. Especially if you invest in pb players who always benefit at announcement times.

So you don't lose out massively investing before a bonus instead of during.

• @Vespasian32 said in Deposit bonus ever again likely?:

@SteveFate83 said in Deposit bonus ever again likely?:

The market grows enough during a DB that you'd make 10% on that few hundred anyway. Especially if you invest in pb players who always benefit at announcement times.

So you don't lose out massively investing before a bonus instead of during.

Yeah I agree completely with this. Market growth will outweigh any potential bonus you’ll receive.
    You’ll only really miss out if you were planning on depositing (close to) the full amount so you get the max bonus money available.

• In the last bonus period I intentionally avoided buying all the big movers who were going to fly up and then crash back down again, and instead waited for the dust to settle and bought up players who's prices were likely to remain stable. I actually didn't care for any cap app (other than to cover commission) as my focus was solely on gaining the bonus.

If there was another bonus I would do this again. It's very tempting to jump on Neymar and ride the cap app but if you do that there's a chance you will have to sell up before the end of the bonus period and forego the bonus itself. How much cap app you make is then dependent on how quickly you get out or how long you hold your nerve.

It was a much less stressful approach to seek out the stable players where money isn't flooding in and out of, and then gently drip them back to the market after the bonus period ended.

• @janner73 said in Deposit bonus ever again likely?:

@SteveFate83 said in Deposit bonus ever again likely?:

would hate to throw in a few hundred and then a few weeks later could have had a nice bonus

For me that is the exact reason why I hope there are no more deposit bonuses for the foreseeable future. Money gets held out of the market waiting for one.

This. I just sigh hugely when I see a DB announced.

I think the marketing drive in Jan will be worth about 5x+ deposit bonuses anyway. It just isn't needed.

• Once you’ve been on FI a while no one seems to want DB’s but they probably do attract new investors.
    I think I read somewhere that they might be doing a 5k risk free promotion in January which seems very generous.

• @Woody yeah one of the guys at FI corrected us and it’s a 1k risk free try Jan.

• @Woody New user offers are great and should be continued for acquisition purposes. Its the existing user DBs that cause people to just hold money back and cause boom and bust periods that I don't like.

• @Andy 1k still a good offer though.

• @janner73 yes I totally agree.

• I don't want to see a DB ever again.

People hold money back on certain dates in anticipation of one.

The market needs to breath on its own without being stimulated constantly by DB's.

The only DB I'm in favour of is for new customers, something like "we will match your initial deposit up to the value of £250"

Under the T&C's have something like they have to have their money invested for 6 months before the matched money becomes "real" cash. Stop scammers joining, doubling their money & just taking it out.

• @Ericali Good idea that although I do like deposit bonus and I've certainly more money in FI due to the last couple of DBs

Hey folks - does anyone envisage a deposit bonus coming either Jan or before euros?

Jan would seem unlikely given FI are rolling out a promotion for new users ( risk free )

So maybe for euros?

It sounds counter intuitive, but I never put new money in when a deposit bonus is announced. I tend to invest when the 'footie' is falling. I want to take advantage of any new money being invested. For that reason, I am in the process of filtering new money into the index during December as the 'Footie' continues to fall.

Yes, you might lose money for the first wee while, but the market always gets reinvigorated following a period of decline/stagnation.

This resurgence is usually caused by an official announcement from the bosses about the future plans for the platform, creating hype, hope and hysteria.

PB review, MB review, Matrix review, Try January, order books, new sponsorship, new eligible PB competitions, prolonged IPDs.

The list is endless.

• @johnboywalker
    My favourite approach in the recent DBs has been to wait for the initial price rockets and then sell of entire portfolio. The buy back phase 2 for the 5 percent.

So you get to completely spring clean your portfolio ready for next trend, get good rises initially, free 5 percent without depositing anything and IPD for the refreshed portfolio.

Anyway it would be better for the market if FI binned them and used that cash for any future dividend rises.

• @mike778

Deposit bonuses definitely serve a purpose. I am not against them, but we can't rely on them for the growth of the platform.

If any new user hasn't experienced the light show of a deposit bonus, it truly is a thing of beauty!🤩