Whatever happened to....

• This weekly segment throws up a historically moderately well known player who has dropped off the radar because he was relegated, went to China, playing reserves, joined a non-PB league or decided to go and play for Stoke...

...this week on whatever happened to:

Alfie Mawson

Ball playing centre back Mawson was touted for great things. Bought from Barnsley by Swansea in 2016 was a standout in an otherwise average first season and then was better in the following dismal season in which they got relegated (including a goal vs Liverpool). Southgate was interested and he was called up to the England squad but was injured and withdrew.

Not deterred he then signed for Fulham and the same dismal outcome occurred though this time he was injured early on which also involved an unpleasant knee injury that pretty much caused him to miss three quarters of that season and their subsequent relegation.

Now he’s fit, played every game this season and has a possibility of playoff promotion.

Cultured on the ball like Maguire and posing a similar threat in the air. He’ll be back in the Premiership one way or another. They say central defenders don’t truly learn their art till their late 20’s...Alfie is 25.

He’s 30p and having held him a long while back I have just bought him again.

• @Ellisandro
    What about ‘baby Jane’ ❓

• @Friedeggs said in Whatever happened to....:

@Ellisandro
    What about ‘baby Jane’ ❓

Yellow card! I expect that from...wait...that’s what I would have said...that or “white dog poo” yellow card rescinded.

• What about harry c?

• @Ellisandro wait a minute....

I'm not entirely convinced Mr Ellisandro has ever sold Mr Mawson to buy back in.

In fact, I'd say their likely to be huddled together at the back of his wardrobe alongside the Kovalenko shares! 🤔

Tell me I'm wrong, tell me I'm wrong goddamit!

• @Ericali said in Whatever happened to....:

@Ellisandro wait a minute....

I'm not entirely convinced Mr Ellisandro has ever sold Mr Mawson to buy back in.

In fact, I'd say their likely to be huddled together at the back of his wardrobe alongside the Kovalenko shares! 🤔

Tell me I'm wrong, tell me I'm wrong goddamit!

I am happy to say you are. I did own old Alfie once upon a time but his relegation saw me dump him quicker than a new user does his Kantes. I regret it still!

However, lovingly leafing through my past transactions I saw a photo and remembered what it was that made us so attracted. I had to stop though as Kovalenko came into the room wearing curlers and tapping a rolling pin screaming about the bloody kids so I had to pretend I was just reading a Brian Clough autobiography and my trousers had fallen down.

I bumped into Diego Costa at Westfield the other day but we pretended we didn’t see each other...