Buy on the dips?

• This along side “sell on the highs” has always been a rough rule of thumb when investing. But how do you all feel this ‘rule’ applies to FI?

Would you buy in on a player who’s price had came down recently?

Neymar, who I am not invested in (I must be the only person) had a recent drop due to injury but quickly shot back up to a record high?

For example if a player in the £4 region drops down by £0.75 over a weeks or two period, would you be tempted to buy in?

I am dabeling in this right now with a player and have seen moderate success so far, but no profit as of yet (Iv not sold any of the investment off yet).

What do you all think of this tac?

• I bought Parejo the other day wen he dropped 75p. So far I'm 10p in profit. And I expect more as the media days come to the end.

• I think you have to take every drop on its merits, what are the reasons for the drop?

If a player has dropped because he's broken his leg (Let's ignore Neymar for this example) then funds could probably be better invested elsewhere. However if he's dropped due to a poor performance when he was expected to do well, that's when I tend to get on, like the above poster I also got on Parejo yesterday as he's a PB beast who's simply had a couple of low scoring games so his price was enough to tempt me in

• @John-Renwick Parejo Is one of the best examples you will get of buying on a downward trend that you know will go back up when the PB starts again, so one of the safest examples you will get, so maybe not the best example to answer the original question with.

• Maybe it's a fairly obvious one but is still a good example of what he talks about. That's why I shared

• @John-Renwick easy tiger i wasnt having a go, but i will correct you on 75p now, or even 1.75 if it was a typo, of the top of my head 2.19 was his lowest.

• @SMacFI dropped 75p not was 75p

• parejo is a good example of buy the dip being a good approach

• @Mpope81 my bad

• @pwp24 good example yes. But i think referring to the original question, or a harder way of spotting an opertunity on a long term upward trend, such as Bale now for example, he will no doubt take a dip after today, then start raising again slowly while linked to a summer move to UTD. So much harder to spot and if you exit the trade and call it wrong and he dont dip, you cant re enter. But if you get out and can buy back in at a cheap price its very good trading, and most are not as obvious as Parjeo, that was my point i was try to make, that it can be harder to find ibvious ones

• "Would you buy in on a player who’s price had came down recently?" - yes I would, for example parejo

• Like other have said, it depends on the reason.

If it is a timing thing like money temporarily shifting out of a particular player group like the athletico players definitely. Again if its an injury then its a good time to buy.

If there isnt a specific short term timing reason then it might be a correction rather than a dip.

• @SMacFI said in Buy on the dips?:

@John-Renwick Parejo Is one of the best examples you will get of buying on a downward trend that you know will go back up when the PB starts again, so one of the safest examples you will get, so maybe not the best example to answer the original question with.

Its not as simple as you think.

Parejo may make the spain squad for WC but would likely to be a backup hence no real world cup value . Valencia arent in europe so parejo is probably a player people were looking for a suitable exit point of which the int break was an obvious one.

He was always likely to rebound a bit but not sure if he will make a full recovery till next season. He probably needs another pb win or close to one or he may be vulnerable to further drops.

Obviously I am just speculating and guessing as dont know what is in people's heads but he is the kind of player I am keeping away from at the moment.

• Lol, dont be blinkered by the WC, i have pretty much avoided it. Look at valencia's remaining fixtures ;)

• @SMacFI I have! Hence the investment in a player who regularly scores high on PB. And before the internationals are even over I'm already up 10p. Which I guess will only rise once we move away from Media fortnight and back to PB.

• @SMacFI said in Buy on the dips?:

Lol, dont be blinkered by the WC, i have pretty much avoided it. Look at valencia's remaining fixtures ;)

Sure ...

It shouldnt impact on prices that much as most WC players will win nothing.

But fact is , when the season ends, people will want to sell players not in the world cup if they dont have media value.

People know this ... they know prices will drop so will sell in advance.

Parejo is a fantastic PB player and if he cracks a few then will be a great buy. If he doesnt he will drop.

• Injuries to players are a great time to buy. I've capitalised on Dybala, Marcelo, Neymar and Kane dips. Kane is still leaving me short but he's well on the way to recovery now.

As a general rule I try and buy when a players has lost a bit of value. This does get more dangerous the higher the price of the player. You only have to look at Sanchez. In the Kane example I brought in at a deficit and he continued to fall. He's now risen to a point to where I brought in at but know he'll be back to £10-£11 as the World Cup arrives.

• Buying on the dips is great if there is a obvious short term event that will cause a rise. But otherwise its better to react to and buy on the rise