Super Match Days - My Findings

• So the Super Match Days period came to an end after today's matches and I've been working out how much bonus I am expecting (it's around the £20 mark). I've actually been a big fan of this promotion because it's made me look for PB value and I think it's a promotion that lends itself to low priced goalkeepers that regularly post decent scores.

Anyway, I wanted to post a couple of my thoughts and findings about it incase people didn't get involved, were apprehensive, struggled to understand it and incase they run this promotion again. So here goes...

Goalkeepers

So I bought 2. I'm not a big GK holder, I usually have 1 in my portfolio just incase something changes but this promotion made me go for 2 GKs that had 6 games in Feb, decent clean sheet records, favourable fixtures for IPD chance and PB scores and were low price.

Matz Sels (Strasbourg)
    Buy price 22p
    Bought 140 @ £30.80
    PB Scores in Feb: 66, 118, 104, 7, 78, 114

10,500 SMD points for my purchase that day (42p)
    3 clean sheets in 6 Feb games (£4.20 IPD divs)
    PB scores multiplied by 140 shares = 68,180 SMD points (£2.72)

Total return = £7.34 (ROI = 23.8%)
    His value has dropped 1p per share so if I was to market sell at his current price and lose the 2% commission the ROI would be a shade over 17%. Still pretty decent!

Koen Casteels (Wolfsburg)
    Buy price 31p
    Bought 100 @ £31
    PB scores in Feb: 115, 61, 101, 64, 127, 191

2 clean sheets in 6 Feb games (£2 IPD divs)
    PB scores multiplied by 100 shares = 65,900 SMD points (£2.63)

Total Return = £5.05 (ROI = 16.3%)
    His price is actually now 35p per share. And so if I market sold at that, after commission I would have around a 28% ROI in just a month.

You can see from the above that both keepers were cheap (important to keep the ROI as good as possible) and aside from a PB of 191 from Casteels both of them were usually good for a PB score of 100ish. Whilst not amazing, it IS a good PB base for players priced 20-30p when you are getting paid per PB point.

I guess I was surprised how much decent value goalkeepers seemed to be for this promotion.

Picking a GK with 6 games in a month gives you 6 IPD opportunities (Sels won 3 and Casteels 2 for me so 5 out of 12) but it also gives you 6 solid PB scores to earn those SMD points.

Granted, for a GK priced say 40p and above, I don't think it's worth it. But for me, I decided to experiment with a low investment on 2 GKs and they have both paid off in ROI terms.

If SMD ever comes back (which I hope it does), I'll be looking for another couple of GKs priced around 25-30p!

• @BradD really like this and amazing ROI results! shows there's great value if you think outside the box so really appreciate you sharing your insight.

I initially looked at this to cover the cost of commission, once points are confirmed I'll see howi got on across the period. https://forums.footballindex.co.uk/topic/15074/super-match-days-how-i-ve-played-it-and-why-i-like-it

• @DW said in Super Match Days - My Findings:

@BradD really like this and amazing ROI results! shows there's great value if you think outside the box so really appreciate you sharing your insight.

I initially looked at this to cover the cost of commission, once points are confirmed I'll see howi got on across the period. https://forums.footballindex.co.uk/topic/15074/super-match-days-how-i-ve-played-it-and-why-i-like-it

That's an interesting take too. I guess there is a sweet spot where players cost X amount, get a PB of X amount and it means the commission is zero.

Let me know when you complete your findings. Want to be prepared for if they do this again.

I think it may happen during the Euros.

• Just be careful... "if I sell to market"... Is a big If. Not many people by gks. So you could be stuck in them with no ipd or cap ap for a long time while waiting for a buyer.. Or cut deeper into your margins by IS

Also you are attributing smdp... But you'd have earned them on any player you bought... There are players with much higher pb scores than gks....strikers would have won ipd... You could have bought players getting europa too so more games... More smdp and ipd opportunities.

I'm glad it worked out and profit is profit so we'll done... But don't be fooled by the numbers without seeing the bigger picture.

• @BradD said in Super Match Days - My Findings:

So the Super Match Days period came to an end after today's matches and I've been working out how much bonus I am expecting (it's around the £20 mark). I've actually been a big fan of this promotion because it's made me look for PB value and I think it's a promotion that lends itself to low priced goalkeepers that regularly post decent scores.

Anyway, I wanted to post a couple of my thoughts and findings about it incase people didn't get involved, were apprehensive, struggled to understand it and incase they run this promotion again. So here goes...

Goalkeepers

So I bought 2. I'm not a big GK holder, I usually have 1 in my portfolio just incase something changes but this promotion made me go for 2 GKs that had 6 games in Feb, decent clean sheet records, favourable fixtures for IPD chance and PB scores and were low price.

Matz Sels (Strasbourg)
    Buy price 22p
    Bought 140 @ £30.80
    PB Scores in Feb: 66, 118, 104, 7, 78, 114

3 clean sheets in 6 Feb games (£4.20 IPD divs)
    PB scores multiplied by 140 shares = 68,180 SMD points (£2.72)

Total return = £7.34 (ROI = 23.8%)
    His value has dropped 1p per share so if I was to market sell at his current price and lose the 2% commission the ROI would be a shade over 17%. Still pretty decent!

Koen Casteels (Wolfsburg)
    Buy price 31p
    Bought 100 @ £31
    PB scores in Feb: 115, 61, 101, 64, 127, 191

2 clean sheets in 6 Feb games (£2 IPD divs)
    PB scores multiplied by 100 shares = 65,900 SMD points (£2.63)

Total Return = £5.05 (ROI = 16.3%)
    His price is actually now 35p per share. And so if I market sold at that, after commission I would have around a 28% ROI in just a month.

You can see from the above that both keepers were cheap (important to keep the ROI as good as possible) and aside from a PB of 191 from Casteels both of them were usually good for a PB score of 100ish. Whilst not amazing, it IS a good PB base for players priced 20-30p when you are getting paid per PB point.

I guess I was surprised how much decent value goalkeepers seemed to be for this promotion.

Picking a GK with 6 games in a month gives you 6 IPD opportunities (Sels won 3 and Casteels 2 for me so 5 out of 12) but it also gives you 6 solid PB scores to earn those SMD points.

Granted, for a GK priced say 40p and above, I don't think it's worth it. But for me, I decided to experiment with a low investment on 2 GKs and they have both paid off in ROI terms.

If SMD ever comes back (which I hope it does), I'll be looking for another couple of GKs priced around 25-30p!

I'm currently selling up my portfolio and should see the last of it go today. Should FI announce SMD for March then I would probably stick some back in and go for a few keepers as well as other cheapies with IPD appeal as I like how low maintenance this approach is. There are some keepers with consistently good PB scores who this suits, the trick is just selling them at the right time.

Good work though and shows how there are good opportunities everywhere 👍

• @Yellow you're not calling it a day are ya? Or are you just building a big pot?

• @MickTurbo said in Super Match Days - My Findings:

@Yellow you're not calling it a day are ya? Or are you just building a big pot?

I've made an amount on here that I'm very happy with, certainly miles beyond my initial expectations after my first £300 deposit, and so I'm happy to take the money and walk away.

By the end of today I will have withdrawn over £15k over the last few months. With FI now so promotion heavy and SMD now at an end, I dare say £1k - £2k may find it's way back in sooner rather than later and with a reduced portfolio value I would look at making these promotions work harder for me, as well as having a more active and aggressive trading style. But for now I'm happy to be riding off into the sunset with the money and keeping an eye on what FI do over the next week or two.

• @Yellow fair play mate. Good luck to ya

• @Yellow nice work