PL & Permutations

• UEFA have confirmed the Euro's are postponed until 2021.

CL final has been scheduled for 27th June
    EL final has been scheduled for 24th June

They clearly want to give as much wiggle room as possible to get the season done before 30th June when some player contracts are set to expire.

There are 9 or 10 PL fixtures to fulfill depending whether your club has played 28 or 29 games.

Realistically, the PL have to aim to resume the competition by 1st May (Friday night game on SkySports) & have a full fixture lists each weekend until the weekend of 27th/28th June.

This gives them 9 full weekends.

Obviously, because of the European fixtures some clubs will have to fulfill midweek fixtures as per usual, but with a bit of reshuffling & the top clubs playing twice a week for a few of the weeks the league should get done.

If they target the above timeframe. ๐Ÿ‘

This should be what the PL announce as a target on Thursday & should bring stability back the the market as we all know the date we expect football to resume.

Question is, what do Football Index do from there? ๐Ÿค”

• Do the spreads return to normal?
    • Do they just let the current promotion run through April?
    • Do they increase the pay-outs?
    • Do they pay more places?
    • Deposit bonus until the end of April?

Will people take money out as soon as spreads are returned to something like normal if people are out of work & getting SSP, or will other users buy up the bargains to compensate with a return date for football set? Will the media players who have been rocketing in this period see a flood of money coming out of them as the money goes back into PB?

What do people reckon?

• It's damage limitation for FI. They have to offer something attractive enough for people to keep their money in the index during this enforced break.
    I can see spreads reduced slightly to test market sentiment, but would be disappointed if they returned spreads to how they were in one swoop.
    They've managed things well so far, so I'm very optimistic for the future.

• Your evaluation of play restarting on the 1st of May and then playing weekend and midweek matches had me excited at the thought of summer football! It will feel like a unique one off situation and one in which I would love to be at the stadium to experience.

Certainly lifts the gloom of no PL/EUROS a little.

As for FI, I think youโ€™re right about spreads. They canโ€™t return to normal anytime soon or else a large proportion of traders would cut losses and IS a lot of their portfolio.
    Corona is gonna screw over a lot of business and individuals economically, and FI need to protect themselves. Having said that this current media day every day doesnโ€™t feel like enough and despite holding 50 shares in Bruno, is already a little dull.

Iโ€™m missing the game element.. itโ€™s just a portfolio at the moment and one that is slowly depreciating rather than ebbing and flowing.

Come on FI- keep us entertained ๐Ÿ˜‰

• @Ericali Given the decision to postpone the Euros it is reasonable for UEFA to announce a plan for when football 'might' return. I can imagine that individual governing bodies will then take that lead to put forward their plan and intentions.

But I still cannot see how football will start at the beginning of May in any country given lockdown protocols appear to be looking at 8 week periods and they are potentially running at different times. Can't imagine FI could change their MB led approach with the general uncertainty as I see it.

• I cannot see football being played anywhere in Europe until at least July!

• @Harford-is-God UEFA have put their stamp on it & it's up to the individual FA's now to try & fit their domestic competitions into the designated time frame.

June 30th has to be the absolute end game, this is the date when contracts expire & the CL is widely regarded as the last match of the season.

To complete the competitions surely May 1st is the latest date football can return?

Even if it has to be played in empty stadiums.

• @Pagey74 said in PL & Permutations:

I cannot see football being played anywhere in Europe until at least July!

If you are right on that prediction - this season will have to be rendered null & void.

We either complete the fixtures or its void.

They are the only two choices. ๐Ÿ˜

• @Ericali seems that way. Certainly the latest to return, play all the games and sew up the league in the most natural way possible.

• @Ericali also agree. The idea of a playoff just doesnโ€™t float, too many blurry lines. And finishing the league as it stands also has too many issues with the season having a quarter remaining.
    I tell you what though, it would create some pretty funny chants forever more and Liverpool fans would get incensed by the asterisk next to their 2020 league title ๐Ÿ˜‚

• @Ericali Why can't they complete the season in July and play 3 games a week? Have a short pre season and play catch up throughout the new season? With regards to players contracts expiring at the end of June just extend them a month or two .

As a Man Utd I can see why you'd be against this ๐Ÿ˜‚ but too much has been invested on the current season for it to be voided. As a Leeds fan if the season was scrapped Bielsa would be gone and we'd remain in the Championship for another 15 years. Can't happen! Law suits everywhere!

• @Alessandro said in PL & Permutations:

@Ericali also agree. The idea of a playoff just doesnโ€™t float, too many blurry lines. And finishing the league as it stands also has too many issues with the season having a quarter remaining.
    I tell you what though, it would create some pretty funny chants forever more and Liverpool fans would get incensed by the asterisk next to their 2020 league title ๐Ÿ˜‚

We can't finish the season as we are now, I'm a Manchester United fan, but if 5th is enough to get in next year's CL (presuming City's ban is enforced) why should we qualify over Sheffield United who are just 2 points off 5th spot with a game in hand?

The fixtures simply have to be completed. You can't relegate the bottom 3 teams if they have all played different fixtures.

One of the bottom sides could have played all the top 8 twice & have a run of fixtures coming up where they can put together a string of results.

It's either completed or void.

As a sidenote the banner at O.T of Convid-19, Liverpool 18 would be priceless at the Stretford End. ๐Ÿ˜‰

@Ericali Why can't they complete the season in July and play 3 games a week? Have a short pre season and play catch up throughout the new season? With regards to players contracts expiring at the end of June just extend them a month or two .

Would you as a sportsman sign a 2-4 week extension to your contract & put a shift in, flying into tackles? ๐Ÿค”

Knowing if you injured yourself you basically have no protection of a wage or a club.

Players want stability, which is why they would want a 12 month extension minimum if there contract was set to expire.

• @Ericali A matter more pertinent for football outside of the top tiers for sure, huge financial consequences.

• @Ericali There would be nothing stopping them signing a longer contract for another club as they would only only be on a short term contract.

Come on now Eric if this happened in 99 prior to CL final and FA cup being played to stop the historic treble then your opinion would be different.

The season needs to be completed whenever that maybe. You cannot just void a near whole season.

Leeds are paying Bielsa 6m a year? So who refunds them that cost?

• @Pagey74 Spot on Pagey. I think Eric is on the wind up here.

• Aiming for finishing on the 30th of June is sensible due to contracts. Could over run this date but would then either need 1 year extensions to contracts or play without affected players.

Latter rounds of CL and EL could be single leg matches at neutral venues and behind closed doors if necessary. The two semis and finals could be done in the one venue as a 3-4 day event, again possibly behind closed doors. Same could be done for domestic cup semis and final.

By condensing the above cup tournaments it gives the leagues a little more wiggle room to get leagues completed around Europe.

@Ericali There would be nothing stopping them signing a longer contract for another club as they would only only be on a short term contract.

Come on now Eric if this happened in 99 prior to CL final and FA cup being played to stop the historic treble then your opinion would be different.

The season needs to be completed whenever that maybe. You cannot just void a near whole season.

Leeds are paying Bielsa 6m a year? So who refunds them that cost?

Not on the wind up. I'm being very sensible. The governing bodies know they have to complete the season by June 30th because of the many contract issues around Europe.

We can't say you can sign for another club to safeguard your future as no doubt it would break a whole load of rules being employed for 2 different people at the same time, while still fulfilling fixtures for your old club & being employed currently by a new club.

Say if the club's played each & one was a GK? ๐Ÿ˜‚

It doesn't benefit my club if the season started again, it would mean another season in the Europa League & we would lose the potential to sign the top players in the summer because we couldn't offer them CL football.

It would also reinstate Liverpool as Champions of Europe - which I'm not too fond of either. ๐Ÿคฎ

But you either have to complete the competition prior to June 30th or it HAS to be voided across the board.

• Talk me through why this isn't a wind up again?
    0_1584465083281_Screenshot_20200317-171029.png

• Something I've been thinking about but cant say I've seen anyone mention, is in relation to the Qatar world cup.

Surely there could be a way of restarting this season in say September and finish in early november and have a short 6 week break before starting a new season in say late december/early january and then finish in september 2021 and then keep that season start date the following season so that the players have a break before the world cup and then look to reign the season back to its usual timeframe once the world cup has been completed.

To declare this season as null and void could be suicidal for leagues as they would probably find themselves inundated with lawsuits from clubs who have over achieved their expectations, or from teams who would be promoted missing out on big pl TV money etc. The season has to be completed, how is the million dollar question though

• @Dalien-Smith said in PL & Permutations:

Talk me through why this isn't a wind up again?
    0_1584465083281_Screenshot_20200317-171029.png

Whilst I'm sure you're aware that @Ericali isnt my favourite person (and probably vice versa) I have to defend him on this one, yes the above post was a wind up but I dont think this thread is, it's just debating and speculating about what we thinks gonna happen and how it might play out.

Edit ps Eric, hope the above didnt give you a heart attack ๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿคฃ