Thoughts

• Off topic I know.

I keep changing my mind over whether I should be working or not.

I'm a self employed gardener so dont have that much close contact with my clients and very rarely need to go inside a home (only when nature calls)

So on the one hand I'm concerned because my mum is elderly and has had lung cancer previously plus I have a lot of elderly clients and would feel mortified if I catch the virus and pass it on.

On the other hand, the govt are telling us to exercise outside but keep social distancing and I see my work as no different from this

So, just wanted to hear peoples thoughts, am I being foolish if I keep working or do you think it's ok?

• @Ddr Same boat and role and the majority of the clients are the elderly. They like to come out and see their gardens and chat to you about what they would like. That could be a wee bit dangerous (probably being dramatic) but for me stay home.

• Stay off bud. Health of them and you is much more important than money.

• I don’t think you should be working on their gardens unless you can guarantee zero physical contact with customers (including no entry to their houses) and can wipe down things like garden gate handles, water butt taps, etc with an anti-bac spray before you leave.

It probably is doable if you’re very disciplined and make clear arrangements with customers over the telephone.

Obviously having a cup of tea and a chat with them is out of the question.

• @Ddr An opposing view to others.

My 82 year old neighbour had a gardener around on Friday, cut the grass, trimmed hedges and bushes etc. Gardener agreed all tasks beforehand, money left in an envelope at the back door, no interaction took place at all. Neighbour can now use her garden to enjoy, sitting out on her own, reading a book, whatever people like to do in solitude. If it didn't get done, she would have got really bothered, potentially anxious and wouldn't feel like going outside.

Change your approach, take precautions, stay way from contact, go to the toilet at home but still try and perform your services, it might be far more important to someone right now than ever before.

• @Ddr said in Thoughts:

Off topic I know.

I keep changing my mind over whether I should be working or not.

I'm a self employed gardener so dont have that much close contact with my clients and very rarely need to go inside a home (only when nature calls)

So on the one hand I'm concerned because my mum is elderly and has had lung cancer previously plus I have a lot of elderly clients and would feel mortified if I catch the virus and pass it on.

On the other hand, the govt are telling us to exercise outside but keep social distancing and I see my work as no different from this

So, just wanted to hear peoples thoughts, am I being foolish if I keep working or do you think it's ok?

It might be worth emailing or phoning each of your clients and discussing your concerns with them. Some of them might be looking to cancel anyway and cut back financially.

Change all payments to bank transfers and have no more face to face contact with the customers.

If you are choosing to continue working, I would enforce strict social contact rules.

Most of us are in a similar position with regards to ill/elderly parents and I have accepted that I won't see mine for the foreseeable. 😔

As for toilet breaks ... wear a piss pack. 😉🤣

But if I'm honest, having seen personally how little attention the British public are paying to the official government advice, I wouldn't be surprised if we see stricter restrictions on our liberty and home detention enforced on all persons within the coming weeks.

Italy have ordered the closure of all 'non essential businesses' so I'm unsure where you will stand should we follow their lead.

Best of luck for the future mate.

• @Harford-is-God disagree just because in theory that might work but for tidying a garden up and a few quid it's not worth the risk of spreading it. Aparantly the virus can stay for 48 hours on paper and a little longer on cash so circulating money or envelopes is not a good idea.

• @Tom7471 Good point on the money exchange, it is a potential transfer methodology.

• By coincidence I dug a veg garden for an old chap yesterday, I dig his garden he gives me veg later on, but he wouldn't keep his distance and kept coming close to chat...I kept stepping back but with older people it seems difficult to make them understand.

• Cheers for the thoughts guys, will mull it over and see if its practical to continue.

Since my original post I've actually had my first regular client cancel as she has been near an infected person and is now self isolating

• This post is deleted!

• @Ddr
    If you have to work to survive and you especially if you have a family to support then of course it’s not stupid as long as you take correct measures.
    Otherwise it is.

• @Ddr hello mate, these times are weird for sure and nobody's reply or advice is wrong, you just have to choose how you do it.

I'm a self employed plasterer and decorator we will continue until we have lockdown.
    Me and my mate have phoned customers ahead for our outside work to get supplies in as , some suppliers are shutting down or have already.
    I/we can turn up outside and continue without talking to anyone.
    I'm married but wife is the bread winner, I look after the children so I'll work around her luckily I've got some empty houses to paint and can do it through the night.

If you need to speak to a customer do so at a safe distance as you would if you were getting your mum's groceries.

Make the situation work for you, not the other way around.....I've already had 4 wankers/people ring the guy I work with wanting work as they know that I will be daddy day care.
    Even in times of care , people will take advantage so look after your patch....👍

• The only 2 solutions to this CV problem are mass vaccinations, which seem 12 months + away from being available, or through herd immunity where most individuals have had it, recovered & gained antibodies, so it's future spread is reduced. All this social isolating is simply to delay any infection spike (Boris's flattening the curve) to allow the NHS & wider care system not to become overwhelmed with thousands of critical care victims in a short space of time, as seems to have happened in N Italy.

Modelling shows 8 - 10k die every year in the annual flu spikes, the same elderly & vulnerable groups most at risk again from CV, yet we don't see mass panic & draconian govt action each & every Winter - Why? to be blunt it's accepted as a price worth paying to keep the economy & normal life operating. I know the British population will want to comply with any short term measures suggested to "get through" the current crisis but if politicians were being totally honest they would have to explain that all we are doing is playing for time, as there is currently no permanent solution available.

Not to say we all shouldn't do what we can to protect, not just ourselves & our family, but also wider society but to pretend everyone will survive is simply incorrect & to expect it all to be getting better in a few weeks or months looks highly optimistic IMO. However to simply decimate the whole economy, render millions unemployed (who otherwise were in viable employment), destroy the entire fabric of our society, many areas which were already struggling like pubs, theaters, retail, grass roots sports seems like an unsustainable strategy in anything but the very short term.

Common sense & honesty will ultimately have to prevail & the trade off between a functioning society & economy continuing & some untimely, early deaths for the elderly & vulnerable will need to be weighed up against each other, as terrible & unpalatable a choice as that maybe.

• I would stay off it you are financially able too! I'm a self employed builder, have 5 lads work for me. Currently 1 job is ok to go to (from a customer pov)as it's an empty house. The other current job is for 2 teachers who have 2 young kids.
    The thing is, it's not necessarily direct contact where the underlying contact is. 1 of the lads who works for me, his mrs is a cleaner at the local hospital with 10 confirmed cases.. 1 girl at my wife's work, her husband has been confirmed, she's been into the office right up until her was confirmed, she isolated straight away but it was too late as she is now showing consistent symptoms. The damage is done mostly before we realise.. . I'm staying off.hopefully they make an announcement about self employment payments soon.👍

• It is very hard to determine.

I work for the gas company in Ireland and can call anywhere from 8 to 20 houses a day. I work outside at the meter cabinets so I have little interaction internally unless the boiler is not firing. I keep my distance with customers and most of them do the same.

I think Ireland will go into full lockdown soon enough as a lot of people were out today so if we are going to do this let's do it right.

I take many positives from this period in time and hopefully, the world can become a more positive place after all this as we have never had a chance to of changing things like this on a global stage without going to war.

Great to see the countries spirit coming together and we will beat this virus so hopefully our Governments don't act the cock with all of us and we all come out of this for the better..

• @NewUser159387 said in Thoughts:

The only 2 solutions to this CV problem are mass vaccinations, which seem 12 months + away from being available, or through herd immunity where most individuals have had it, recovered & gained antibodies, so it's future spread is reduced. All this social isolating is simply to delay any infection spike (Boris's flattening the curve) to allow the NHS & wider care system not to become overwhelmed with thousands of critical care victims in a short space of time, as seems to have happened in N Italy.

Modelling shows 8 - 10k die every year in the annual flu spikes, the same elderly & vulnerable groups most at risk again from CV, yet we don't see mass panic & draconian govt action each & every Winter - Why? to be blunt it's accepted as a price worth paying to keep the economy & normal life operating. I know the British population will want to comply with any short term measures suggested to "get through" the current crisis but if politicians were being totally honest they would have to explain that all we are doing is playing for time, as there is currently no permanent solution available.

Not to say we all shouldn't do what we can to protect, not just ourselves & our family, but also wider society but to pretend everyone will survive is simply incorrect & to expect it all to be getting better in a few weeks or months looks highly optimistic IMO. However to simply decimate the whole economy, render millions unemployed (who otherwise were in viable employment), destroy the entire fabric of our society, many areas which were already struggling like pubs, theaters, retail, grass roots sports seems like an unsustainable strategy in anything but the very short term.

Common sense & honesty will ultimately have to prevail & the trade off between a functioning society & economy continuing & some untimely, early deaths for the elderly & vulnerable will need to be weighed up against each other, as terrible & unpalatable a choice as that maybe.

I suggest you have a look at the affects this virus has on those who are young, fit and healthy. This is nothing like the common flu and shouldnt be compared to it. The flu kills the old and already unwell. You get over covid19 if you are strong enough to do so theres a huge difference. We mostly hear about those that it has killed but many of who get this virus require intensive care to get through it no matter their age or fitness.

I suffer from asthma and have suffered a collapsed lung from a simple chest infection 2 years ago, im 35 now and know that this virus is massive risk to myself and my family.

Hospitals around the world are filled with young healthy people on ventilators with oxygen being pumped directly into arteries and lungs just to help the survive. Please stop the flu comparisons as it’s ridiculous to do so. This will kill more than the flu this year and a hell of a lot more people will need treatment for this than the flu

• @Black-wolf

Totally agree with this. I work in intensive care and it's full already. This virus will kill people of all ages. Please be sensible with your decisions.