Arsenal youth

• Anyone confident Reiss Nelson can overtake Martinelli and Saka or at the very least join them. Id like to include Smith-Rowe in this also but hes had a few injury problems

• Not for me. He had a decent loan spell at Hoffenheim but he's just not kicked on this season.
    I'd say he's behind Maitland-Niles, Willock and Nketiah in terms of progress and being in favour as well as the two you mention.

• @kaka8 I'd like to see nelson go on loan to one of the teams at the bottom end, where he will be their key player and hopefully have more confidence. Feels like he's playing with the safety wheels on at Arsenal... Made a name for himself in the youth teams for all his skill, dribbling and goals... But has shown none of it for the first team.

• @dean73
    What's your thoughts on Maitland-Niles? I'm intrigued by him and I have him on my watchlist.

On the naughty step recently but do you think he can force himself in to the first XI on a regular basis or is he destined to move on. Young, English, full back - ticks a lot of boxes on FI. Could be a steal at £0.68 and might pick up some MB if he does look like moving.

• @Vaughany He's been decent and Bellerin hasn't been that great for maybe 2 seasons now, although part of that is down to injuries.
    AMN could take over but his PB scores aren't anything to write home about; Bellerin's have been better but still not great. I can see Arsenal buying a new RB next season, whenever that might be. That's the gamble, along with which one of the current two stays to fight for his place. Would AMN get that much MB if a move was on the cards? I'm not so sure but could be worth a go if you are patient.

• Maybe it's just me, but I've always found arsenal youth players to be quite overated. There always seems to be a few hovering around the first team and even some playing regularly for the first team. But their careers don't really seem to go anywhere / fail to kick on towards truly elite level. When you compare it to say Southampton, United, Spurs, Liverpool, maybe even villa it looks pretty underwhelming.

Martinelli would be the only one I would consider investing in who looks a different class (I don't hold but I've been eyeing it up for a while). The rest all still look a bit average to me. Take it another way, if they were playing for say Burnley instead of arsenal, would I think they've got it to move to an elite level? Probably not.

• IMO Arteta seems to rate Nelson and I think he has a future at the club, it’s hard to see who he would replace in the first team at the mo but that may become a bit clearer once all the uncertainty over contacts and who’s leaving unravels.
    I don’t think there is much of a future for AMN, he has been over looked numerous times when available even for Mustafi at RB, even though he’s played pretty well when he has had the chance. Maybe there is an underlying non footballing issue we don’t know about.

• @TwattyRaphael Does he really rate Nelson? I'm not so sure.
    Since Arteta joined in December, these youngsters have played (all comps):
    1,071min Saka
    583min Nketiah
    566min Martinelli
    453min AMN
    375min Nelson
    361min Willock

Nelson started the first two league games under Arteta but none in the 8 games since where he's managed just 3 sub appearances totalling ~50min, one other where he sat on the bench and another 4 where he wasn't in the squad at all.
    That's partly due to a change in system/formation and partly down to Dani Ceballos returning from injury.
    Playing just 50min out of a possible 720 doesn't suggest Arteta rates him that highly.
    He may well do but it doesn't fill me with confidence.

• @TwattyRaphael I don’t think there is much of a future for AMN, he has been over looked numerous times when available even for Mustafi at RB
    Maybe you are right. In their last game, Arteta chose Sokratis instead of Bellerin to play RB 🤷🏽‍♂️

• @Dr-Jan-Itor said in Arsenal youth:

Maybe it's just me, but I've always found arsenal youth players to be quite overated. There always seems to be a few hovering around the first team and even some playing regularly for the first team. But their careers don't really seem to go anywhere / fail to kick on towards truly elite level. When you compare it to say Southampton, United, Spurs, Liverpool, maybe even villa it looks pretty underwhelming.

Martinelli would be the only one I would consider investing in who looks a different class (I don't hold but I've been eyeing it up for a while). The rest all still look a bit average to me. Take it another way, if they were playing for say Burnley instead of arsenal, would I think they've got it to move to an elite level? Probably not.

I'd agree to an extent but we've never really been afforded the opportunity to see too many of the youngsters in action before. At least Arteta's giving them the time on the pitch and we all know that's the best way for them to improve.

Martinelli does look great, some of his movement and finishing is very intelligent for one so young. I was surprised to see that Nketiah has actually played more up front under Arteta than Martinelli though and is £1.30 cheaper, also marginally cheaper than Nelson right now too. Perhaps he is the value right now (I don't hold any of them so not a pump).