Woe is me.

• Banned

Last day of work, then (unless government change rules) I am not back in school till May. It is been very tough and im exhausted, but feeling pretty good, well as much as I can.

It is after lunch, so I head out to collect the children. Year 6 playing football. I stroll over, call out for the ball. It rolls up nice. I see glory, I am gonna be a fking hero.
    I flick the ball up with my left foot, do a 360 spin and bring my right foot round to smash it. Top bins.
    Do my groin and collapse. Kids laughing. Dinner ladies laughing. Colleagues laughing. Family seem quite pleased.
    Now I am self-isolated in my bedroom, leg in the air, absolute pain.
    Humilated. Gutted.

• Fucking brilliant. If our prime minister hadn't of trumped you with getting the virus it would be front page news.

• @MrWh1te Priceless πŸ˜‰

• I know this woe.

Once got injured playing football at break time with my class, after a feisty tackle from an 11 Yr old, I couldn't put weight on my foot and couldn't walk.

Imagine the scene when 4 colleagues had to put me on a classroom chair to carry me off the playground like a king through a crowd of peasants... Went to hospital--dislocated and broken toe.

Year later same school, breaktime footy, rolled my ankle, sent to hospital for xray, ligaments gone. Head gave me a rollicking this time and banned me from playing any football on the premises.

Speedy recovery old boy!

• Banned

@Tom7471
    I know right. Yet another reason I have to hate the tory bastard!

• At least you have six months off on full pay. Even for a teacher, that’s easy street.

• Banned

@ocs123
    Some would argue anything but easy, and we aren't 'off' as such and are still working. Sure less contact time but that just means more paperwork we can get done.

I do however agree, we are in the fortunate position of getting paid atm (even though normally we do over half our school hours unpaid day in day out).

But this is just a light hearted thread where people can laugh at my misery (or share in it).
    Let's keep it that way :)

• @MrWh1te said in Woe is me.:

@ocs123
    Some would argue anything but easy, and we aren't 'off' as such and are still working. Sure less contact time but that just means more paperwork we can get done.

I do however agree, we are in the fortunate position of getting paid atm (even though normally we do over half our school hours unpaid day in day out).

But this is just a light hearted thread where people can laugh at my misery (or share in it).
    Let's keep it that way :)

Very true. Nobody seems to know the half of what it takes to be a teacher.

• Agreed. Whilst everyone else is pissing around in their 1st year at Uni, the would-be teachers have a full week every week. I think that's what annoyed me the most tbh, you don't really get much chance to enjoy Uni.
    The placements weren't exactly a blast either. Most of them were 60-90min away so when we had those for 3wks/6wks at a time, we had to be up at 6am and we wouldn't be home until almost 12hrs later. Then we had to change the lesson plan for the next day because it never goes exactly how you expected it to. Or you have some marking to do or some research for content/materials etc, and that's just part of it.
    After Uni, I taught in a number of schools and, although the travel time was a bit better/shorter, the work we were expected to do just increased year after year. I had to give it up in the end.

Most people in a 'normal' job go in to do their shift and when they finish they don't have to even think about work until they go in for their next shift. They also think that teachers have a gazillion holidays to relax in when the truth is we get a week or so at Christmas and a month (generally unpaid) in the summer. The half terms are full of work, trying to sort some lessons out, making stuff to use in class, catching up with some things you couldn't fit into your typical 12hr day, etc. Easter is pretty much the same.

Teachers easily work 60-70 hours a week and the pay isn't that great for what you do.
    I'd much rather work half the hours for about 3/4 the pay in far easier jobs and there are plenty of those out there.

• @dean73 If this is your light hearted response I would hate to see you when you get serious!! πŸ˜‰ Teachers are underpaid and undervalued and shouldn't try and play football with the kids...

• @dean73 have you considered a career change mate? Never too late!

• Yeah I really respect teachers. I did sports science at uni and nearly all my friends are teachers and it is brutal. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

On a light hearted note. I was playing kiss chase in primary school and some little chubby girl kat was chasing me and I was so scared of her kissing me that I ran full pelt (while I was looking back at her) into a wall and knocked myself out! I still don't know to this date if she kissed me while I was out cold on the deck.

• @Martyn-B who said it was supposed to be a light hearted response? 😏
    @Killa2309 "I had to give it up in the end." Stopped teaching full time over 6 years ago. Continued part time for a while but not any more.