Discarding top holds🙈

• I notice alot of advice on individual player threads every time that player rises, quite often the theme is... sell, get out at the top! I find myself questioning weather to sell my main holds when I had no intention to do so. That is fine if you want to be a very active/short term trader which obviously can be the most lucrative strategy if you get it right as also it can be the most costly if you get it wrong.

I have been on FI only 4 months so still learning all the time. I am currently sat at 26% all time with a 5 figure portfolio. My biggest holds are Bruno, Kane, Rashford. I bought these 3 at the start as they looked like no brainers even with an uneducated eye at that point. If I had cashed in every time they had a nice rise I would not be better off now. Worth remembering the top players should naturally be on an upward trajectory in line with the continuing growth of the platform. I can see that just in the 4 months since I joined.

Alot of the biggest posters on the forum are likely to be more active traders. Just wanted to point out to new users you dont have to sell every time one of your players rises, this is what ultimately leads to high volatility in the market. Patience is a virtue!

• Too right.
    I wont be surprised to see rashford drop maybe 5-10p tomorrow if not in top 3 media but will defo be up in 2-3 months time or maybe be up next week if he wins some more mb

• @Impulsesplurger Worth remembering the top players should naturally be on an upward trajectory in line with the continuing growth of the platform.

^^^
    Isn't this EXACTLY the same for the majority of the market too - not exactly something limited to the top end.

In fact, a good argument can be made for bigger percentage risers lower down the pyramid.

• @R2d2 absolutely, very unlikely to get out and back in without being worse off.

• @Ericali no your right this should apply to the whole market. My point would be that a safe option would be to look at any of the top players that are house hold names, under 30 and proven and in a years time you would be confident of a good % rise. Where as not necessarily as easy to get that out come with anyone else.

• @Ericali said in Discarding top holds🙈:

@Impulsesplurger Worth remembering the top players should naturally be on an upward trajectory in line with the continuing growth of the platform.

^^^
    Isn't this EXACTLY the same for the majority of the market too - not exactly something limited to the top end.

In fact, a good argument can be made for bigger percentage risers lower down the pyramid.

Dont use the p word!!!!!

• @Impulsesplurger agreed. If certain criteria is met (below certain age, no transfer from PL, or outside the 5 PB leagues) then it should largely be an upward trajectory.

Most people know this. For inactive traders it's a foolproof strategy.

For active traders, it's getting the most bang for your buck. If I have £2,000 to put in Sancho there's virtually no chance he doubles & hits £25 in the next 12 months.

Whereas, if I pick well & put £2,000 in a £1 player there is every chance he could be a £2 player at some point in the next 12 months - where the chips can be cashed in - giving you 100% ROI.

• @Impulsesplurger It depends on the time and circumstances IMO i have invested in a few £1 and under bundesliga players today who have lost 25% during covid19 and roughly 35% of their peak pruce. I Never held Sancho but i am much more confident these players will rise 25-35% than he will.

I have some buys i am commited to for the guts of 3 years and some who i am happy to trade short term.

I wouldn't worry though if i was you, i have lifetime profit of 17% and i am delighted. Youre obviously doing something right if you are up 25%

• I think you've made some good points here. I think two of the most important questions someone should ask themselves are:

1. What sort of approach do you want to take to FI?
    2. Are you are happy with your returns from this approach?

And then ignore others to an extent. That's not to say we should not learn from each other. I've picked up lots from other people but I've ignored considerably more. The problem with social media is that it gives any old idiot the opportunity to spout off about how well they've done, and over the course of time even a poor FI purchase can look smart if the person presents it cleverly. If you were to believe some people, it's like they've never ever made a mistake on FI.

There are hundreds of ways of making money and people use multiple approaches, but it's important to know what you're comfortable with. Some people buy as soon as a player scores and look to sell on for a 5p rise, or wait until 1 second past midnight to claim the IPD and then smash IS. Great if you are happy to sit and watch the ticker/live streams all weekend but not so good if you have neither the time nor inclination to do this. Not saying either way is right or wrong, it's up to the individual. I wouldn't stay up until 3am to try and get on an IPO but plenty of people have and they've done well out of it.

In terms of premium MB holds, it's important to factor the commission you'll pay. If I sold Rashford now at £6.10 I'd lose 12p in commission and any divs he gets tonight. So I would need to buy back in at under £6 later on to make it worth it. Constantly getting these decisions right is hard work and to be honest, I can't be bothered, as there is only MB on offer at the moment. I'd rather keep my MB holds and compound any divs by reinvesting them, others wouldn't and that's up to them, but you're right in that there's many ways to do it and short term isn't the only way.

Sounds like you're doing well with your approach so far and you're very happy with your returns, so I'd say keep doing what you're doing. I'm just on MB players at the moment. When football looks like it's restarting I think I'll be reducing my MB holds and looking at some PB options, but until then I'm happy to sit tight.

• @Ericali absolutely. Everyones got a different strategy, theres not a right or wrong. Personally I sit on what I class as my safest holds for the long term ca and reap divs unless something undermines that thinking. Then am happy to make other trades in the short term on top. I brought the point up as a fairly new user to remind myself as well as others that may doubt their thinking due to what I see constantly every time one of these players has a rise.

• @Yellow spot on, well put!👌

• @Ddr 😂 what about ponzi???

• @Impulsesplurger noooooooo! Lol

• @Impulsesplurger said in Discarding top holds🙈:

@Ddr 😂 what about ponzi???

Should do well if the Italian league comes back sooner than the others

• @Ericali said in Discarding top holds🙈:

@Impulsesplurger agreed. If certain criteria is met (below certain age, no transfer from PL, or outside the 5 PB leagues) then it should largely be an upward trajectory.

Most people know this. For inactive traders it's a foolproof strategy.

For active traders, it's getting the most bang for your buck. If I have £2,000 to put in Sancho there's virtually no chance he doubles & hits £25 in the next 12 months.

Whereas, if I pick well & put £2,000 in a £1 player there is every chance he could be a £2 player at some point in the next 12 months - where the chips can be cashed in - giving you 100% ROI.

How can you be so sure? I bet plenty of us were saying the same when Sancho was £6 not so long ago. I agree that i Sancho now seems like he wont double in the next 12 months but we never know and id argue big name premium players are safer bets than trying to find a £1 player that may or may not achieve anything. I suppose it depends on how much daily research you can afford to do to stay on top of those cheaper holds.

Fair play if you can find the next superstar, i managed it with sancho 18 months ago although I haven’t held since he broke £7 so sold up a little early in hindsight. Unless i can be as confident over an unknown again ill stick to proven players, they may cost more but the risk is lower too

• @Ericali harder to pick a £1 to £2 player tho ay 😀

• @Collymore10 said in Discarding top holds🙈:

@Ericali harder to pick a £1 to £2 player tho ay 😀

Definitely is

• I'm not in many £1 or under players personally.

Moved most of my capital into the big boys when it became clear it was a MB feast for the foreseeable.

But what I do recognise is the potential to double quicker will be lower down.

So at some point I will begin to re-evaluate my position & spread the money lower down in preparation of Football restarting.

Just let's see how long they extend this lock-down when the 3 weeks is up, as I doubt we will be seeing Football back up & running prior to June.

• @Impulsesplurger said in Discarding top holds🙈:

I notice alot of advice on individual player threads every time that player rises, quite often the theme is... sell, get out at the top! I find myself questioning weather to sell my main holds when I had no intention to do so. That is fine if you want to be a very active/short term trader which obviously can be the most lucrative strategy if you get it right as also it can be the most costly if you get it wrong.

I have been on FI only 4 months so still learning all the time. I am currently sat at 26% all time with a 5 figure portfolio. My biggest holds are Bruno, Kane, Rashford. I bought these 3 at the start as they looked like no brainers even with an uneducated eye at that point. If I had cashed in every time they had a nice rise I would not be better off now. Worth remembering the top players should naturally be on an upward trajectory in line with the continuing growth of the platform. I can see that just in the 4 months since I joined.

Alot of the biggest posters on the forum are likely to be more active traders. Just wanted to point out to new users you dont have to sell every time one of your players rises, this is what ultimately leads to high volatility in the market. Patience is a virtue!

Totally agree. I made just over 100% in my first year, by buying the best value in the market at the time. I sat on them and just kept adding to them,hardly traded at all,could of made more I'm sure but I'm a lazy trader and classed it as a savings scheme . Eventually i had 36 players in a 4 figure port which was too many. I eventually sold off some of each player and reinvested the money back into the index. I've now got a 5 figure port and 18 players. I've not even changed my port for the MB and still doing ok! Ronaldo (who I recently sold) kane and rashford been doing me just fine.

• I’ve finally come round to the idea of selling top holds. Sold rashford today at 50% up and 20% in the last week. Just want to bank profits and move on. Bought Tonali and 3 other youths with big seasons ahead when football resumes. Decided that if I can get 20% out of any player in a week or two, to just take it and research the next. I’ve sat on those margins for too long in the past and my port stagnated with too many holds. Now reducing to maybe a fifth of the players I had and being more hands on