PL - Voiding Season Off The Table

• "That would be the worst case scenario discussed at Friday’s Premier League meeting as it is understood that voiding the season completely is firmly off the table but the TV cash is the biggest worry of all."
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/premier-league-crisis-talks-sky-21804141

• It will be interesting to see what happens if, for example the Italian and Spanish league and some of the other league where clubs feature in the CL/Uefa cups decide to void the season but the the French/EPL and German leagues manage to play the games and reach a conclusion.

in this scenario, what would happen to next seasons European comps in terms of qualification?

• @Advinculas-Index UEFA have so far said 'No qualifiers will be coming from these countries' but that sounds like an idle threat to me.

Would they really kick out Barcelona and Real Madrid and replace them with Skonto Riga and Dinamo Bucharest? It would cost them hundreds of millions.

• Football is totally ignorant to what's going on at the moment, this argument is getting boring but there is going to be no way to finish to the season with any fan actually caring...apart from the scousers. Very soon we are going to be loosing 800-1000 people a day for a few weeks. It's only money people that the club's loose, small fraction on what the government are currently giving up to help everyone

• Couldn't agree more. Voiding is firmly on the table, because well, it has to be.

There is no ideal solution that will please everybody - Some will be ok with the final outcome, others will be disappointed. Football just needs to be adult and recognise this and move on and adapt, like the rest of us have to. Ultimately it just doesnt matter right now.

• It's time for the PL to wake up and, frankly, grow up. Noone cares about football right now. Take the financial hit, void the season and start making contingency plans for the next one, because it sure ain't starting in August.

• @MUFC said in PL - Voiding Season Off The Table:

Football is totally ignorant to what's going on at the moment, this argument is getting boring but there is going to be no way to finish to the season with any fan actually caring...apart from the scousers. Very soon we are going to be loosing 800-1000 people a day for a few weeks. It's only money people that the club's loose, small fraction on what the government are currently giving up to help everyone

Think u might find it’s not just Liverpool fans what about Leicester Sheffield Utd and wolves not to mention the championship teams that could reach the promise land! It’s ok saying void the season but not really when u don’t even know when the next season will start. As for the government giving up money take your blinkers of because all of us in the long run are going to be the ones paying for it with higher taxes. Finish the season if ands when safe to do so and then come up with a new calendar witch coincides with the winter World cup

• @Carboney yes we may well but the government are helping everyone out now, I am grown up enough to except a tax increase, it will be needed to repay back loans etc and for vital services to continue, also it's football, sit back and actually think about, oh no we can't reach the premier League for a season or shef utd may not get Europa league, let's have a charity concert for them. Honestly it's pathetic how footballs acting....and I love football but this is far more important than money or anything

• @MUFC I was actually talking to a mate the other day (on the phone ofc) and pondered whether the government worked out what they could afford to spend extra to fight this pandemic by factoring in how much extra inheritance tax they'll make from old and vulnerable people succumbing to the virus, horrible thought I know but there will be increased revenue for the government from this, although it wont cover everything it may mitigate any future potential tax rate rises

• @Ddr I was having a similar conversation regarding the housing market - there will be a lot of inheritance money floating around over the the next 12 months to keep house prices stable (or potentially surge).

• @Ddr said in PL - Voiding Season Off The Table:

@MUFC I was actually talking to a mate the other day (on the phone ofc) and pondered whether the government worked out what they could afford to spend extra to fight this pandemic by factoring in how much extra inheritance tax they'll make from old and vulnerable people succumbing to the virus, horrible thought I know but there will be increased revenue for the government from this, although it wont cover everything it may mitigate any future potential tax rate rises

Have you thought about this? You answered the questions yourself..A great number of those deaths would be people dying within next 6 months to 1 year without even corona and therefore not extra inheritance.

In UK there are 50,000 deaths a month on average (you can get full breakdown from national statistics online) we have had 2500 corona deaths in 1 month and large number of these are elderly / already ill. In 1 year time what you will see looking back is a small spike in March and April but then slightly less deaths then usual in months that follow. Its more of an acceleration rather then extra deaths.. Yes a small proportion of the deaths will be the young or perfectly healthy not expected to die but that number barely reaches the amount of young or healthy dieing each month for reasons like car accidents and infact because of lockdown less of these type of deaths will happen so maybe because of lockdown there may even be less deaths in March / April then usual and therefore less inheritance tax!

• Funny that all the leading clubs in the euro leagues are saying if it’s voided it’s no problem.
    Except for the desperate scanks over here.

• The one bit I struggle with is if say the normal transfer window can happen, if next season can start normally and then feed into the euro's next summer- why is this season so important? Is it worth playing catch up for 2 years to complete this season? Surely there has to be a line where it is just not possible to finish this season.

• @ChazFI123 said in PL - Voiding Season Off The Table:

The one bit I struggle with is if say the normal transfer window can happen, if next season can start normally and then feed into the euro's next summer- why is this season so important? Is it worth playing catch up for 2 years to complete this season? Surely there has to be a line where it is just not possible to finish this season.

I understand where you're coming from on this, and whilst I agree that there are scenarios where the most practical course of action may be to declare this season null and void , I think there is only a small window for this to be the case.

If we cant restart football again before july/August then yes it may be the best course of action. Or maybe they can cancel domestic cups to free up space to fit the last 9 games into the start of next season and then continue straight on with the new season without a break, meaning no change to the normal period that football is expected to be played in

If however, we cant start again until say october or november then you face the prospect of fixture pileups trying to fit a whole season into a shorter timeframe, and in this instance, surely the best course of action would be to complete this season, declare that there wont be a league for 20/21 and then have a one off kind of tournament to take us up to may 21 and then recommence normal football seasons from 21/22.

Imo, the best course of action atm is to make plans for different scenarios of when football can recommence but to not make a final decision on this or next season until we know what timeframe we are looking at to get football recommenced.

On a personal note, ofc I want this season to be completed as a lfc fan, but accept that this may not necessarily be possible, we just dont know yet.

Also, would cancelling this season damage the integrity of the sport/league? Would cancelling this season have detrimental effects on clubs lower down the league pyramids forcing them into administration and possibly closure? Would the broadcasters seek recompense for obligations not being met?

There are so many factors to be considered that this really isnt going to be an easy decision to make for domestic fa organisations or uefa/fifa

• @Ddr that's the thing is there are literally an infinite number of factors when it comes to making the decision, and whatever decision they come to I'm sure some clubs and fans will moan about it. The biggest thing for me is I just don't want football/clubs to suffer long term because we forced this season to be finished. I'm sure the people in charge won't be so short sighted as to do that, but I hope that they are brave enough to make the best decision, no matter how much back lash there is.

• @ChazFI123 said in PL - Voiding Season Off The Table:

@Ddr that's the thing is there are literally an infinite number of factors when it comes to making the decision, and whatever decision they come to I'm sure some clubs and fans will moan about it. The biggest thing for me is I just don't want football/clubs to suffer long term because we forced this season to be finished. I'm sure the people in charge won't be so short sighted as to do that, but I hope that they are brave enough to make the best decision, no matter how much back lash there is.

Whilst I agree there are a lot of factors to be considered, they are not infinite.

The problem being that fas will possibly need to weigh up the lesser of two evils. Would cancelling this season mean legal ramifications from broadcasters wanting money back for contractual obligations not being met and therefore cause financial issues for clubs in the premier league which could then trickle down the footballing pyramid. Or could the broadcasters say, fine cancel this season but were not then paying anything to broadcast next season causing even bigger problems.

It really is tricky and only people who have all the information (those who will be making the decisions) will know the answers to these kind of things and what possible ramifications any decision they make may have

• I posted in another thread.

League needs to be done by 30th June due to contact expiry date.

Teams must resume with identical squads that they had before this started.
    Players out of contract are under no obligation to play beyond that or sign a new short term deal.

If I'm a player no way am I signing a short term deal incase I suffer serious injury.

If any team restarts with a weakened squad this will impact the integrity of the Competitions.

However there are more important things to worry about just now and the Football authorities need to wake up to this fact and stop banging on that the League MUST be finished.
    It absolutely does not have to be finished. Peoples lives are more important.

• @Riley's-Liegemen said in PL - Voiding Season Off The Table:

@Ddr said in PL - Voiding Season Off The Table:

@MUFC I was actually talking to a mate the other day (on the phone ofc) and pondered whether the government worked out what they could afford to spend extra to fight this pandemic by factoring in how much extra inheritance tax they'll make from old and vulnerable people succumbing to the virus, horrible thought I know but there will be increased revenue for the government from this, although it wont cover everything it may mitigate any future potential tax rate rises

Have you thought about this? You answered the questions yourself..A great number of those deaths would be people dying within next 6 months to 1 year without even corona and therefore not extra inheritance.

In UK there are 50,000 deaths a month on average (you can get full breakdown from national statistics online) we have had 2500 corona deaths in 1 month and large number of these are elderly / already ill. In 1 year time what you will see looking back is a small spike in March and April but then slightly less deaths then usual in months that follow. Its more of an acceleration rather then extra deaths.. Yes a small proportion of the deaths will be the young or perfectly healthy not expected to die but that number barely reaches the amount of young or healthy dieing each month for reasons like car accidents and infact because of lockdown less of these type of deaths will happen so maybe because of lockdown there may even be less deaths in March / April then usual and therefore less inheritance tax!

People are greatly misunderstanding the under lying health conditions part of of this virus and lumping these people in amongst the old. Im in and out Glasgows children Hospital quite often with my daughter and i feel that gives me a different take on what is meant by under lying health conditions from seeing so many different families affected by illness. I know its not really having a huge adverse affect on kids but my point is that this virus isnt killing only people approaching the end of their lives its killing plenty of people in the primes of their lives who live with health conditions. We have been seeing more and more deaths in young and healthy people too now.

The affects of this virus wont go down as blip in the history records the reality is that it is a massave global disaster, probably the worst our generation will ever experience and we will be dealing with the aftermath for years with a very real chance of it leading to further problems with heightened tensions and threats of war between nations

• @Comrade

The 30th June date can be tweaked. Short-term contracts can be agreed as can 1 year options, or a new contract of 1 year +

There are few 'top players' I think that are in the final 3 months of their deals. If there were loads they would be rising like mad on FI imo. Many of these are older players or fringe players who will be released anyway. That's why most clubs enter into talks Before it gets to the 12mths remaining stage.

June 30th as an end date is in no way achievable and contracts won't be an issue for 95% of players