anonymous player view on footballers wages

• Great interview this - Extremely relevant right now. Any idea who this is, because he talks 100% sense and deserves credit if its true that hes giving his wage away regularly.

https://www.football365.com/news/feature-premier-league-player-wage-cut-matt-hancock

There are a couple of clues/red herrings in there :

1. "£200,000-per-month" - So top six club most likely. That's elite level salary.
    2. "that’s the advantage of living somewhere a bit remote.”" - Oh aye, wheres that then? UK (Norwich?)? Overseas? (China?)
    3. "But I’ll tell you this, none of my first team would miss three months’ money.”" - Debatable, but ok. Either way another elite club, rather than a burnley or a bournemouth perhaps?
    4. "You know fuck all so shut your fucking yap." - Nailed on southerner/cockney. No northerner would use "yap". Same for excessive use of "c**t"
    5. " bought all of that a few years ago when I was on bigger money than I am now " - In the twilight of his career now, but earned more previously! Hmmmm.

I don't know who it is, doesn't really matter either i suppose - The points he raises are all valid and i wish more footballers at the very top would echo his concerns and follow his lead.

• @Leighton has Dave Kitson retired? He was widely believed to have been the secret footballer

• Banned

I especially think the 'treat everyone the same' on here.

There is a well-known whale on twitter constantly posting his massive port, and the divs he wins, complaining about footballers.
    Hypocrits.

• @MickTurbo Yeah Kitson has retired and pretty sure he was the secret footballer, but this isn't him.
    Good story and like the perspective piece, which you always think about but don't really put into numbers.
    Can't think who it might be though, maybe Lennon....if you count Burnley as remote 😆

• Really interesting interview, hadn't seen that, thanks for posting.

The picture at the top looks like Jacob Murphy to me, but obviously it's an older pro. Think there's a couple of clues in the language used where he could be from, but I guess it's not important to try and work out who it is (although tempting!) EDIT: just browsing comments, and Deeney sounds like it could be a good shout.

Remember there was a whole website dedicated to try and work out who the Secret Footballer was, they didn't even get close. Some random Danish journalist very cleverly practically confirmed it with an interview with Kitson

• @TotalPunt thinking laterally a little bit, regardless of who he plays for it's likely that where he lives is remote. You wont see many pro footballers living in a rundown inner city mid terrace. Somebody like Lennon is probably a really good shout but there'll be any amount who would fit the bill I suppose, could be fckn Rooney 😁

• Mark Noble's name has been mentioned, and if you read it again imaging him, you can sort of see it i think.

The point isn't who it is anyway (Though its fun guessing). Its his words and actions. I wish others spoke out in a similar way.

• Contrary to the media obsession, the players aren’t the problem at the moment.

It’s the clubs.

Liverpool FC, winners of countless league titles and European cups are the latest club to furlough their non playing staff. Absolutely shameful behaviour from a very big club with very wealthy owners. For those that are not familiar with the furlough process, it basically means that the taxpayer is now paying 80% of the wages of Liverpool’s non-playing staff. Basically Liverpool FC is sponging off the tax payer.

Shame on you Liverpool FC and likewise shame on you Tottenham Hotspur.

You’ve shown your true colours. Freeloading ponces.

• @ocs123 said in anonymous player view on footballers wages:

Contrary to the media obsession, the players aren’t the problem at the moment.

It’s the clubs.

Liverpool FC, winners of countless league titles and European cups are the latest club to furlough their non playing staff. Absolutely shameful behaviour from a very big club with very wealthy owners. For those that are not familiar with the furlough process, it basically means that the taxpayer is now paying 80% of the wages of Liverpool’s non-playing staff. Basically Liverpool FC is sponging off the tax payer.

Shame on you Liverpool FC and likewise shame on you Tottenham Hotspur.

You’ve shown your true colours. Freeloading ponces.

Yeah to be fair, suspect the players who are probably trying to help have been shafted by the club here.

Was of the view if the season couldn't finish then they should get the title anyway but balls to that. Let them have nowt.

• @MickTurbo said in anonymous player view on footballers wages:

@TotalPunt thinking laterally a little bit, regardless of who he plays for it's likely that where he lives is remote

It’s not the footballer who lives in a remote place, he’s saying the journalist does (they’ve interacted previously).

Noble wouldn’t use the vernacular in the interview I don’t think. Lennon perhaps, but Burnley doesn’t seem a good fit for the intimations about the club.

Deeney seems to fit language used, wages and views for me. I can understand why whoever it is doesn’t want the aggro of being public though.

• @Keegans-Bluff yeh I read it after posting and realized that mate lol

• There’s a reference to blowing bubbles in there as well 🧐

• @Keegans-Bluff said in anonymous player view on footballers wages:

Deeney seems to fit language used, wages and views for me. I can understand why whoever it is doesn’t want the aggro of being public though.

Like that's ever stopped Deeney before, and that's why I doubt it's him

• @dean73 Additionally, Deeney isn't married any more, hasn't been for 18 months so he wouldn't now be saying...
    "My wife says footballers are all normal lads with abnormal money. She’s right."

• It could be Noble.. he’s on 50k a week, he’s a 30 odd year old and he has a lot of money tied up in property so never needs to touch his wage.. it’s great whoever it is that fir last few years he gives it to charities

• @NewUser152315 yeah, Noble's a decent shout.
    He's married with 2 kids and he talks about his wife and kids in the article.
    He slags off Daniel Levy so imo also quite likely to be a player at another London club.

• @dean73
    He also did an article with ‘Evening Standard’ on 20th March which echos a fair bit of this interview plus he also says that his fee from ‘Evening Standard’ he’s donating to food banks

• I saw an interesting comment today that players just having their salaries cut to help the clubs and keep the non playing staff on 100% salary actually does more damage to the NHS, as the tax revenue goes down (both personal and employer NI).

So basically they need to be cut enough by the club to save the other staff, and also donate some to the NHS efforts themselves for it to make a difference.

As this guy says, most in the top flight won't miss 3 months wages. Whilst I don't like telling people what to do with their money, it would do football's reputation the world of good.

• @dean73 ah ok, didn’t realise that. Rules Deeney out then. Still don’t think Noble would use “lecky”, but could be wrong. Thing is we don’t know how many red herrings may have been thrown in to try and maintain anonymity or they’ve just published as is. Seem to remember Secret Footballer claiming to have done that. Hard to be definitive off one interview I suppose.