Biggest portfolio’s

• Just wondering how much people have invested in FI and what returns people are getting

• since jan 2019 17k deposited £0 withdrawls, port value £27k
    *edit, £1400 bonus' £2672 divs all re-invested

• Are some people making a living out of FI or could they based on how well they do

• There are a lot of people with port's well in excess of £100k. A few of these are quite vocal on twitter etc. A few of these have £500k+ ports.

There will be a number of people who are far higher than this - if I had £1m+ invested in something I certainly would be thinking twice about shouting about it on twitter and the forum. EJ on twitter suggested he could hit £200k in divs this year if the football continues...

So yes a number of people will make a living off FI - if they have that type of money it wont be their only investment though.

Quite a few people have used it towards a house deposit etc, FI enabled me to quit my job and start up my own company so I am in theory making a living because of FI.

• @Diamond-Tiger I'm really new to FI, 2 months in essentially. I've been amazed by how much money people have made off this platform. I have a very small £1k port and want to know how much roughly does my port need to be before I can quit my day job too? I'm curious to know how much do you think someone needs to invest and what would be the best strategy over a 3-6 month period?

• @JQ88 Be careful and don't believe all the hype.. To live off FI you would need a couple of hundred thousand in your account taking that the market continually goes up but like everything in life that will not happen.. if you don't like what you currently do find something else that you Love

• The two tricks I’ve used most effectively are simple,

1. Dividend compounding - use all dividends to buy more shares, boosting portfolio value and future dividend payments. “The miracle of compound interest”
    2. Sensible selling - I never panic sell and very rarely use Instant Sell, which means I’m not frittering money away on commission. My total commission paid is less than 10% of my total dividends received.

If I was to quit my day job however, I couldn’t do either of those things. I would need to make regular withdrawals to cover living expenses, which would force me into selling more regularly and immediately put a stop to the compounding.

• Thanks guys, will bear in mind. I am still finding my feet on this platform. One of my biggest issues was using the IS function a lot in the first month or so, wont be using that again!

• @Karl agree with Karl I’ve got 10k in and wouldn’t even consider dropping a day off the working week I think in excess of 100k would be a chance at going part time

• @JQ88 depends on dozens of different factors. Do you live somewhere cheap like Burnley? Or somewhere expensive like fancy London? Is your mortgage paid? Do you have a family to support? Do you have any debts to pay off? Do you have a taste for the finer things in life? Would you want to be a more active trader or just buy shares to return dividends? All depends on your situation, certainly won't be the same for everyone.

• @JQ88 there isn't a set answer to your question and only you can really work it out for yourself. I personally wouldn't ever feel comfortable enough to rely on FI for my only form of income. I would have to have large reserves to consider that.

There are many different ways people make money on FI - to actually realise the profit you have to take it out though which means either not reinvesting dividends or selling players. This goes against how most people use the platform.

I have always re-invested my dividends to take account of compounding up until the point where I took a large amount out to start my company.

The next 3 - 6 months has the potential to be amazing on FI - there is money to be made at every price level with, typically with a smaller port I would stick to the cheaper / mid priced players that you can own more of - Sancho going up £1 is great but if you only have 10 its not going to make much difference.

Most importantly over the next 3 - 6 months don't over stretch yourself and invest more than you can afford, we don't know when the spreads will go back to normal and we don't know what impact this will have

• @JQ88 IS has its uses so I wouldn't discount it completely. I use it when the spread is relatively low so you can sell in bulk to get the cash quickly to move on... Waiting a week to free up the money can cost you a lot more by missing out on opportunities.

Also remember when you are buying / selling sub 50p players that theres a minimum commission from FI and people do seem to love to buy 1 player at a time just to annoy you.

• Thanks for all the insight guys. I'm hitting all the sub £1 players for now as like to have 100 shares. Yeah highly unlikely I can ever quit work through FI considering I have a wife and 2 kids as well!! It's certainly kept things interesting whilst all sports has been offline though.

• @Jimbob said in Biggest portfolio’s:

@JQ88 depends on dozens of different factors. Do you live somewhere cheap like Burnley? Or somewhere expensive like fancy London? Is your mortgage paid? Do you have a family to support? Do you have any debts to pay off? Do you have a taste for the finer things in life? Would you want to be a more active trader or just buy shares to return dividends? All depends on your situation, certainly won't be the same for everyone.

This

• After tax, the average take home pay is around £2k per month (after tax)
    so a realistic scenario would be working with a port of around £100k and aim to hit 24% a year which at the moment is a relatively modest target. (a fair amount of traders on here are achieving well in excess of 100% per year) however, in 5 years time who knows what the landscape will be like.)

You could then look to reinvest anything over and above the 20% back into your port thus making the base figure from what you are working from larger thus reducing the % target you would need to hit in order to net your 2k per month.

ie at the end of year 1 if you managed to hit 40% , you would have taken out £24k salary (remember its tax free) and you would have a port of £120k to work with.

Adjust the figures depending on your desired salary.