For any newbies. How I made 17k in my first year.

• https://youtu.be/FQiKMPl0GkE

A video that could help a few of the newer members to the community.

• What was your actual % in 1 year?

Looking at the comments it looks like you put in a fair amount.

• I will try and find out for you but it must have been pretty high because I didn't have very much money when I first started on the index.

• Banned

I thought you two were the same people :p

• @MrWh1te šŸ˜‚

• There might be a shortage of toilet rolls but we're not stuck for Toms that's for sure.

• @Tom77 said in For any newbies. How I made 17k in my first year.:

What was your actual % in 1 year?

Looking at the comments it looks like you put in a fair amount.

This is the key question. If you stuck in 10 grand and made 17 then I'm interested.

If you stuck in 50k then message me and we can discuss how to get you just a little but more!

• @MrWh1te haha brilliant

• @Lukeroro haha no it definitely wasn't 50k. I will try and work it out soon. What I do know is that I started with Ā£500 and then topped up when I could. At a guess I think it would be around Ā£9k

• @Tom7471

I appreciate you are trying to get views for your video, but the title of the thread does make it sound like untrustworthy clickbait!?

You know, like those typical American adverts that come on at 4am ... šŸ¤£

'I used to be a fat behemoth, but using the new Tom7471 fitness plan, I lost 18 stone in 2 weeks.'
    šŸ¤£

• @johnboywalker haha I know it is clickbait but for a small channel like mine it's very hard to get any views unless I pretty much sell out. While Cheltenham was on I was getting loads of views on the Saturday after I barely got any. I find a lot of the topics I want to do a video on no one is really interested in. I'm tempted to do an order book video but I'm not sure it would get many views.

• @Tom7471 I don't watch many videos but just got round to this and it's the first of yours I've seen...

Really clear presentation, made it easy watching.

Couple of points you could be clearer on when it came to the explanations of the Index... Like selling you mentioned commission in terms of market sell, but on IS and in fact you said if you sold 10 sancho at his sell price Ā£8.60 you'd get Ā£86... Minor point but can be misleading.

But what I found particularly interesting was your strategy. I agree with you on diversification and you made the point quite succinctly. And I like that you buy cheap and don't demand huge rises... Make 10p on a 35p player is great.

Look forward to more content. This one was a bit hybrid sort of a user guide and a bit about yourself. Maybe do two seperate ones with more meat on the bone for each element and you could produce one of the best beginners guides out there

• @Tom7471 said in For any newbies. How I made 17k in my first year.:

@johnboywalker haha I know it is clickbait but for a small channel like mine it's very hard to get any views unless I pretty much sell out. While Cheltenham was on I was getting loads of views on the Saturday after I barely got any. I find a lot of the topics I want to do a video on no one is really interested in. I'm tempted to do an order book video but I'm not sure it would get many views.

If you invest the time and effort in building a decent reputation as a reliable and consistent source of good advice on the forum, then the clicks will happen naturally.

Guys like @Westy went from being a solid source of knowledge and insight on the forum to now having his own FI related site with contributions from other trustworthy and reliable FI users.

His site appears to be doing well. I have no doubts this is due to the reputation that Westy built up over the past few years on here.

It all depends on whether you want repeat custom or not ... personally, if I think your videos are click bait, I would be less likely to view any future content. šŸ¤·šŸ¼ā€ā™‚ļø

Oh and I'm sure many users would be interested in hearing any advice or insights you have regarding order books as most are clueless on the subject. šŸ‘šŸ‘

• @johnboywalker cheers for the mention. If you are bored in lock down check your messages on here, get back to me if interested.

• @Vespasian32 really appreciate the feedback and I will take it onboard. You are spot on with your points. I must admit it can be hard to make these videos as it's easy to forget to say some things which would really help some people so feedback is much needed. I'm going to do one on order books but I'm doing a lot of research as I don't want to get the information wrong.

• @johnboywalker thanks very much for the feedback i would definitely like people to keep coming back I guess I wonder how much value I can bring to a lot of you guys just because the forum has taught me pretty much everything I know. I am trying to help new users at the moment but it would be nice to help others on there journey.

• @Tom7471 I found it funny hearing you talk about your dislike of diversification whilst your portfolio has tons of players in it ; p

• @peacebeuponme haha I know. Well if I could sell my port right now and start again I would be only having a few players in to be honest

• @Tom7471 You can do that if you want to.
    I am not sure there will ever be a better time to restructure, if you are serious.

• @peacebeuponme yeah I am serious I have pretty much my port up for sale and I can't wait to buy my special 5 :-)