What Next For The Premier League?

• 0_1586781383471_Screenshot_20200413-133525.png

• Option 1. Even as a Leicester fan, I’d take voiding it just to hear the whinging of the Liverpool fans 😂

• Voiding it is an absolute nonsense decision that shouldn’t even be on the table. When football starts again around the world, all leagues should be completed.

It’s much easier to cancel or rejig something that hasn’t started (I.e. the next season) than to cancel something that’s in progress.

Whenever those start dates may be, you complete the existing seasons and depending on what date in the calendar that then leaves you at, you either have a short break before starting a new season or you work something out to reduce the games and/or cup formats in the next season or seasons to get back in line with the usual start/end dates.

As for player contracts it’s being made into a bigger problem that what it actually is and I’m sure most players and clubs could sort this. Plus it’s not as if loads are going out of contract in the coming months as most players start negotions way before the end of their contracts.

• @Dalian-Smith

But imaging voiding it?

Does that mean none of it ever happened?

So Perez hasn’t debuted for Leicester? Tanganga hasn’t played a professional game? Henderson hasn’t kept a PL clean sheet? Fernandes hasn’t played a PL game? These stats are officially wiped?

What happens to DreamTeam, the poor sod who’s leading, how they must be fretting?

• I actually quite like the Qatar idea. It will give them a chance to test out their world cup preparation, and I'm sure we can leverage a lot of cash from them to do it - as well as get every game on TV to help us in the lockdown. It also might get the whole 39th game idea out of the system once it is seen how soulless the games are without the teams' local fans there. As a one off, it's not an idea I had considered but could just work.

But definitely the season needs to be finished on the pitch, by hook or by crook. Voiding or taking current results will just lead to endless legal action; there is too much money at stake. Look at the mess in Scotland for a start (although institutional incompetence is the main driver there).

• @kristiang85 Must admit that does seem like the best idea. Middle East has always been keen to stage games. Wasn't the Spanish Super up staged in Morocco? This years Spanish Supercup was scheduled to take place in Saudi. Top leagues are increasingly staging games outside their own shores.

• Banned

Finish this season late, start next season late is only real option for me, and not listed

• @MrWh1te Thats option 6.

• Banned

@Dalian-Smith ok i suck :p

ty

• Void it!!!! Let Liverpool have another 30 years of hurt!! 🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳

• @kristiang85
    Can’t see the Qatar option happening. Average high temperature in May is 38 degrees. June is 41. That’s the whole reason the next World Cup isn’t happening during the summer.

Secondly, the logistics of that many teams, playing that many games with such a small amount of time to prepare seem too much. Imagine all the staff that would have to go. Flights, hotels, transfers. Not to mention the time away from families and the downtime in between games.

That’s without the obvious health risks. Even if they are less there.

• @9stevo sorry to see you downvoted me for my comment above 😂🤣

‘not getting the same media attention due to already having completed his big move to the big club ✅’ - @9stevo you clearly are enjoying seeing Bruno thrive since you made this post 4 days ago! Sorry to burst your bubble, but Bruno’s media attention will long continue throughout the summer and beyond 😉

• @Sol this post has got nothing to do with "Bruno"?!! Weird that you feel the need to mention him every time you post, we get it you hold him and like to talk about him!! I was downvoting your silly, pathetic and boring comment above.

• The Scottish Premier league looking more likely to end the season now without any more games. The lower leagues have already voted to finish with promotions and relegations taking place based on the results already recorded. The Scottish Premier league will decide next week but look like going the same way.

This will put more pressure on the English leagues to make a decision.

• @Erased-Citizen why would a player out of contract in June with no plans to extend risk himself getting injured seriously in June, no contract offer from current club or new club then. Also this is a huge world issue much bigger than any sport of anything, let's be adults and say it's just a game of football and there are far more important things to worry about, if football starts again in August safely then what a bonus and something to look forward to rather than risking people's futures, believe it or not there will be hundreds of sportsmen worries like we are about their health and their families health. As much as I love football, it sure is embarrassing itself majorly and a fair few of its fans as well

• Similar options were listed as a poll on the BBC website. Declare the season null and void was the most popular with 39%. Of all the options though, I think it's the most unlikely as there would be threats of legal action and all sorts. I know people could argue health is more important (and they are right) but we've already seen how financially driven some clubs are by the furloughing fiasco, so there's no way they would take the decision to void lying down.

• @Mintyfresh

Don’t underestimate the volume of Man U supporters voting to void the season out of spite.

In terms of contribution to the economy, there’s no reason why football should have to wait until after non-essential retail shops like the one I work in reopen. Football shouldn’t get priority but nor should it be last. The risk of injury is no greater than coronavirus being passed between co-workers/shoppers equalling medical demand.

• @PaulM in all honesty if utd were in Liverpool's position I would want it voided, it feels as to me as though to much time would have passed to feel meaningful and will always be tainted anyway. With regards to legal action I think sky have said they will stand by their payments even if season doesn't finish. They could potentially get their money quicker of they voided it now which would help the lesser clubs and smaller lower division teams, ie Exeter v Plymouth was due to be shown on sky with each club pocketing over 100k each, huge money to them at the best of times

• @MUFC said in What Next For The Premier League?:

@Erased-Citizen why would a player out of contract in June with no plans to extend risk himself getting injured seriously in June, no contract offer from current club or new club then. Also this is a huge world issue much bigger than any sport of anything, let's be adults and say it's just a game of football and there are far more important things to worry about, if football starts again in August safely then what a bonus and something to look forward to rather than risking people's futures, believe it or not there will be hundreds of sportsmen worries like we are about their health and their families health. As much as I love football, it sure is embarrassing itself majorly and a fair few of its fans as well

There is much more important things to life than football and the current pandemic is one of them. I'm not saying there should be a rush to get football back as it should only return when safe to do so. I'm just saying that irrespective of when it returns the incomplete seasons should be completed first. I don't see any reasons at all for not doing that and for the small few who would be out of contract after June (if it goes beyond that), then I'm sure a very simple extension of the contract by a month or two could easily be sorted between the club and player, therefore covering everyone.

• I'm not a fan of the voiding or finishing options, but if we do have to go that route then why not have a hybrid solution and just do the 2020/21 season as normal but add on the points for 2019/20, like a kind of super season. Then Liverpool, Leeds, West Brom, etc will keep their advantages, and the likes of Leicester will have advantage for Europe. Make all this seasons prize money equal to all clubs. And any clubs with games in hand from this year can play these games as extra fixtures to even it up.

Obviously some will worry about the player contract issues, but the January transfer window happens and its the same for everyone.