Share price alterations

• Hi guys. I’m confused about sth and was wondering if anyone can help. Say I buy 100 shares in a player at, say, £2 and then later buy 100 more at £3, it seems the price in my portfolio is rightly altered to 2.50 to reflect the average price I got him for. But then when you come to sell the player the price you got him for goes up as you sell. Why is that? Surely the difference has already been calculated and is reflected in the portfolio price? Any help much appreciated. Cheers.

• It’s because you sell the oldest (in this case cheapest) first. So it is the average of the remaining you hold. As you sell the first 100 you will get closer to the price of the second batch.

• @NewUser157530 hi as you sell the first 100 your average price will rise as you're now holding less shares at £2, once the first 100 are sold it should just show as holding at £3.

• @NewUser157530 said in Share price alterations:

Hi guys. I’m confused about sth and was wondering if anyone can help. Say I buy 100 shares in a player at, say, £2 and then later buy 100 more at £3, it seems the price in my portfolio is rightly altered to 2.50 to reflect the average price I got him for. But then when you come to sell the player the price you got him for goes up as you sell. Why is that? Surely the difference has already been calculated and is reflected in the portfolio price? Any help much appreciated. Cheers.

The price shown in your portfolio is an average buy price, you also have to remember that oldest shares are sold first. So to take your example a step further, if you was to sell 50 shares then you would hold 50 at £2 and 100 at £3, giving an average price of £2.66

• Thanks for the reply guys! And so just to clarify then the 2.50 it says in my portfolio is actually £2 for the first 100 shares I sell right?