The right time to sell?

• Obviously it’s the million dollar question but I was wondering what the right time to sell is for a player who joins a big club?

I’m talking about the likes of Werner, Osimhen, Hevertz, Van De Beek, etc, etc. Is there a right or wrong time or does it differ depending on the type of player and the club they’re going to?

Obviously we’ve seen that Bruno joined United and his price really took off and then went stratespheric after a few games. But could someone like Havertz for example, join Liverpool and see a price spike that would come with that but then see his price level out or even back off a bit initially?

Or is it simply down to you having a belief or feeling that they’ll either kick on and hit the ground running (hold them) take some time to adapt (maybe sell and rebuy later if they show signs of kicking on) or not kick on as a player and maybe even struggle (sell straight after or just before they sign)?

• "Buy the rumour, sell the fact"

• @Leighton said in The right time to sell?:

"Buy the rumour, sell the fact"

I think I get what you’re saying and that is my plan going forward. Not everyone is going to be a Bruno....

• I have now set myself a percentage rise when I will sell for my £1 - £2 players at 25% unless I think they will get more. It is a new strategy but hopefully it will stop me selling too early and be more patient.

As for the higher end players I am still learning but obviously harder to achieve 25%, but remember, if you sell at a profit you haven't actually lost, you just maybe could have got more.

• Generally buy the rumour sell the fact but we have seen how this is not true for Haaland, Ziyech etc
    If the player is valid will just go higher

• I'm on around 100% profit with Werner and quite torn if I should sell.
    Short term think selling now would be right, but if I hold for another 2 years who knows the value wherever he ends up with Germany expansion and Euros/WC to come.

May depend if I see better value for money somewhere else.
    Not sure I've answered the question 🤷‍♂️

• Great replies. I think in the main I will buy the rumour and sell the fact (i.e. sell when they actually move). Safest way to play it I think as you’re gong to sell at a profit 99% of the time. Obviously some will go on to rise even more but at that point it is a 50/50 gamble.

• @Neil2265 said in The right time to sell?:

I'm on around 100% profit with Werner and quite torn if I should sell.
    Short term think selling now would be right, but if I hold for another 2 years who knows the value wherever he ends up with Germany expansion and Euros/WC to come.

May depend if I see better value for money somewhere else.
    Not sure I've answered the question 🤷‍♂️

I think Werner will go up quite a bit more. He is back on a rise from a dip so I would hold a bit longer. Just my thoughts

• I sold Werner yesterday (didn’t have many shares) as I think short term he’ll rise a bit more but long term I see him as a £7 player especially with him suiting the PB matrix. Just too much cost per share for me as a beginner, establishing a portfolio with limited deposits at present and more aiming at cap app.

• @Erased-Citizen Bayern would be the better move for PB by far than Liverpool, but then you'd get the extra MB. Difficult one.
    Thinking of selling around when football returns, just about timing the sale right.
    Good luck!